cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading south Florida for the month of Feburary

Deehazel57
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are going to be spending the month of Feburary om Florida. This will be the first time we have done this. We are looking for warm weather and a nice place to stay. Doesn't have to be fancy just clean and friendly people. Don't really know how to choose a place to stay. Would like some information please to see if we need to choose a place for the whole month or just go down and see what we can come up with. Thanks for any help.
15 REPLIES 15

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
On your way down, stop in St Augustine for a couple of days. While it may be a little colder, it's a great town with lots to do; and you can actually get into a restaurant at 6 pm. Camp on!

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
There are parks below Orlando in Davenport and Haines city that are 450 or below. Moderate temps and an hour from east or west coast.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on how much you want to pay. The farther South you go the more the monthly rates are. For me paying $600 per month and up is not acceptable. We have stayed the past 5 years in the Ocala area, the rates are in the $450 - $500 per month range. The wx is usually nice, temp in Jan-Feb will be cool at nite and nice in the day. March the wx will warm up to the 80's in the day. There are plenty of places to eat and visit. Last year we stayed at 'Sandy Oaks RV' near Beverly Hills, FL and would recommend them.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We go down there every year to do art shows and 2014 will be our 6th year (time flies).

You don't say if you want beach or inland. As someone else suggested, try moving around a bit to see what you like. We almost exlusively do the state parks because we like to walk trails, etc. and because they are nicer (IMHO)...they don't squeeze you in like a parking lot. Some privacy and a natural environment.

Being more specific as to your preferences would be helpful. Me? I would just pick a handful of state parks and see what is left at this point...the more north you go will have openings and make a schedule and see many parts of Florida.

You can pm me if you want specifics or just ask on board.
Donna

Boldtning
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, You'll enjoy Rock Crusher Canyon and the Crystal River area. We winter there as well-love it.
Jeff & Barbie
2010 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X2 SRW, 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Crystal River, FL/Dillard, GA/ USA

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere in Fla. in the month of Feb. is nicer then Mich. I am talking about weather so don't get excited. I live near the coast in SW Fla and if you want the Florida experience go from Sarasota south on the west coast. Miles and miles of public beaches, lots of golf, hiking,kayaking etc. The east coast is nice also but the pace is a little faster and even more expensive in some places. The weather is warmer down here but in Feb. it is real nice. You may want to consider a mix of state, county and private parks, which will give you an opportunity to experience different areas. The state parks will be hard to get into for the winter at this late date but you need to check as they get cancealations that pop up. Use any of the camground or rv parks references on the net or though Good Sam. Good luck.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

1fastdad
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to the central part of the state I would recomend something around Lake placid just south of Seabring and if you want to go to the coast make it the west coast but what ever you choose make sure its below Orlando. remember the further south you go and the closer to the water the more it cost.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We did 6 weeks in Florida in our 5th wheel last year for the first time. We didn't have any specific park in mind so we traveled around and stayed at 8 different parks, with one being a state park. We also visited several other parks. We enjoyed this adventure because it really gave us a better idea what kind of place(s) we might like in future snowbird trips.

Next winter we'll go for a longer time period reducing the number of parks and have already reserved a month at Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River. It's a bit north for real heat, but we're from Michigan and don't mind moderate temps.

We also plan to stay in the Sebring area for a few days as we did last winter. It's further south, but because it's away from the coasts the prices are less expensive. We stayed at Miami Everglades for a week last winter and wouldn't mind a longer stay, but a month is about $1,200, whereas Rock Crusher is about $650. While prices definitely vary you can expect to pay somewhere in between these amounts. Also, the shorter you stay the more you will usually pay.

Definitely do your research. You might want to do a week or two in different parks. That will give you a taste of the life in different parks. Good luck!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Riverside is an excellent choice. 140 new lots for this winter. Some are still available.

Send me a private email if you need additional information.
Check rvparkreviews.com. Listed under Arcadia, but is only 5 miles from Port Charlotte. 20 miles to Arcadia.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Riverside RV Resort in Arcadia. It is located on the Peace River. It is actually closer to Port Charlotte and is just a few miles to the interstate. It will get a little cool in the winter in the mornings but warm up in the afternoon. We found that anything further north was too cool for us.
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest Miami Everglades which is in south Florida.
It is close to the Keys and the Ev erglades for good day trips and it has all the amenities that you would want.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
I second the looking at RVparkreviews. we went for the month of Feb last winter and were able to make a one month reservation in September because not all the sites were filled by then. If in Central FL then you might try Elite resorts in Clermont or where we go now for 3 months at the Old Mill Stream in Umatilla, both
are very clean and friendly. We did travel around and look at lots of places but nothing we saw matched what we ended up with.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of RV parks on US 27 south of Lakeland that meet your criteria. You could start looking here: http://rvparkreviews.com/
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch