cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Michael is forcing us out..where to camp?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I towed out travel trailer down to Fort Pickens last weekend for a week long vacation. Well, Sunday they tell us that there could be a tropical strorm coming, and last night (Monday) they force us to evacuate the campground. So now with it turning into a cat 3 (or larger) hurricane that's going to make landfall Wednesday......our plans to have a week at the beach is pretty much done.

We are currently camping at a place near Mobile Alabama. Home is Springfield Missouri for us......and ideas on a nice place to camp between Mobile Alabama and home that will be out of the path of the hurricane.....and also be around some form of water (lake or river)?

Just looking for options to try to get the most out of our ruined beach vacation. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
imq707s wrote:
Would staying in Mobile AL tonight be a bad idea? Or is that too close to the action?

If it was me, I follow the rule "When in doubt, bug out." I think Mobile will get quite of bit of weather off the rotation and anyplace on the Gulf at this time isn't a good place to be. I would move inland.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
Would staying in Mobile AL tonight be a bad idea? Or is that too close to the action?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a lot of campground options on the water in Arkansas and out of the path of the storm. It's on your way back to Springfield too.
Here's the Allstays.com map for Arkansas campgrounds.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
The weathers not bad in Minnesota and the campgrounds are not busy this time year
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy answer... GO HOME
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
I doubt anywhere in AL or MS is safe at this point, either go west of the Mississippi or north west since the storm is supposed to take a turn to the northeast after landfall.

X2!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I doubt anywhere in AL or MS is safe at this point, either go west of the Mississippi or north west since the storm is supposed to take a turn to the northeast after landfall.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crater of Diamonds State Park, near Murfreeboro, Ark?

Availability might be an issue... need to call ahead. Look at the weather maps and see what is outside the cone (still feeder bands to consider) and then go to rvparkreviews.com and check towns for campground reviews.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Land Between the Lakes?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Isaac Creek Army Corps of Engineers campground. It is just north of Monroeville, Alabama.

To Kill A Mockingbird author Harper Lee is from Monroeville, if you are a fan. The famed courthouse is a museum.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab