cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need some help quick - got a job offer coming-need advice

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I am meeting the president of a company tomorrow for lunch and he will have a job offer for me. I live in Northwest Arkansas and the job is in Conover, NC.

Since I learned of the pending offer a few days ago I have been trying to talk myself into moving. This will be a two year gig which is just perfect because I plan to retire Jan 2021. I live in a great area now and want to retire in Northwest Arkansas. So I don't want to sell my house nor am I keen on renting it out.

I was prepared to tell him I could not take the job because I don't want to sell or rent my home. But at 2:20 am this morning I woke up worrying about all this and it came to me. Hey, buy a small used travel trailer (like a Casita) and find a long term camp site close enough to my job. I'm a single Joe, just me so that makes everything much easier.

I have no type of RV now but having researched more hours than you can imagine with my pending retirement I am very familar with my options of Class A,B,C, Truck Camper, etc. I have a Silverdao 1500, so a truck camper is out due to payload and I would want more room for this long term deal.

Here is the big question - if I buy a small travel trailer can I stay at an RV park full time? I see some close enough to work. Please advise me of a solution involving a low cost RV (under 20k) and any ideas how to arrange this. I would be thrilled to take the job, live in a great area at the Blue Ridge Mountains and not sell/rent my house.

Thanks for any wisdom you may be able to share.
30 REPLIES 30

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. I got a good shot at working from home and making trips there as needed as opposed to relocation. I would say 80/20 home/there. I'll get confirmation next week. If it works out, I'll be in the market for a travel trailer.

My quick education on RV parks was eye opening. No I do not need all the amenities and once I discovered other options (private land, etc) the plan would be easier to execute.

I may have to move my future posts to the Travel Trailer forum!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance on a vacant house is expensive IF you can find a company to do it. You are leaving behind the home you wish to return to so have you considered security concerns for it? Will you be returning to it fairly regularly? What you want to do is possible but plan for the big picture.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
RV resorts are the problem! Do you need the amenities that the resorts offer? You only need a spot that has water, electric and sewer. Forget the resorts and find a small campground.

If you are meeting with the president of the company, ask about temporary housing, campgrounds, apartments, etc. He/She may be able to help you or at least put you in contact with someone who can.

If you are set to get a camper, don't go with something so small you will be getting in your own way - get something about 20' at a minimum. You will want to have a few conveniences and if it's so small, you will not be comfortable in the long-term. Also, don't buy new. You will not be able to get your $$ back in two years, probably 75% or less. If you purchase a 3-4 year old well cared for RV, you will be able to get back 85-90% of the amount you paid for it after two years.

Don't get so set in what you THINK would work, but keep your options open for any type of housing and GOOD LUCK with the interview and finding a temporary housing opportunity.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Your feedback gives me some more ideas. Leaving for the interview in a few minutes and we'll see how it goes!

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
What I don't get is this...if this job is important enough for the president of the company to reqruit you they should be willing to RENT you a trailer or an apartment for your two year stay.

I have made this bargain a couple of times while I was consulting. It is not unusual and will solve your problem.

Two years of rent or a good per-diem would not impact the company's bottom line in any significant fashion as long as we are talking about a larger fully funded real company here.

If that isnt a possibility then I would contact all of the RV places around the area and see if there is anyone willing to rent a unit to you. Mobile home parks often have good deals on trailers for rent.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather than buying an RV that you may or may not want to keep later on, how about checking into a vacant park model, many CG's have them that they rent out long term.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Scamp makes a 19' molded fiberglass camper with a modified GooseNeck/5thWheel/Bumper type hitch that has a bit more room than the Casita (also a good trailer). With it, you have separate bed and living areas and a bit more room. Scamps, Casitas and other of this construction type lose relatively little of their value over time with minimal maintenance so you won't take a bath when it comes time to sell.

One example https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sale/2010-19-scamp-deluxe-5th-wheel-12000-albuquerque-nm

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
https://asheville.craigslist.org/prk/d/lake-lure-rv-site-camper-siteper-month/6782525315.html

https://hickory.craigslist.org/apa/d/morganton-check-out-this-deal-prime/6771150571.html

Cheap, includes water....

https://hickory.craigslist.org/apa/d/morganton-check-out-this-deal-prime/6771150571.html

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
https://hickory.craigslist.org/prk/d/lenoir-4-bay-garage-storage-shop/6777252774.html

$500 a month. Maybe you can work something out with this lot to put a camper in the garage and live in it.

Has power, water available?

Should have a bathroom?

You can always dump your tanks at a local campground, they usually charge a small fee.

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, my dream is not squashed yet. A quick search with hipcamp.com reveals sites for $10-$20/night. No hookups, but that's fine.

The dream lives.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
breeves2245 wrote:
For the one week or two weeks I may be there, I don't want to expand the search so much it would be an hour+ commute each way. This really threw some cold water on what I thought was a dandy plan.

If I am only there for a one or two week max, maybe I don't need an RV park, just find a campsite.

Got some figuring to do.

Normal campsite length is 14 days max. Not all campgrounds are full hook up.
I think I'd just grab a hotel for a week, settle in to the job and do some investigating for a more semi permanent spot.

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen Sport that may be the ticket. Just find some landowner within 10 miles of the office that wouldn't mind a small travel trailer for a week or so for a fee. Makes it all much more simple. I called the Statesville KOA, $695/mo, wow. No vacancy so it doesn't matter. The rest of the RV resorts were in the $500/mo range and no vacancy.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
For the one week or two weeks I may be there, I don't want to expand the search so much it would be an hour+ commute each way. This really threw some cold water on what I thought was a dandy plan.

If I am only there for a one or two week max, maybe I don't need an RV park, just find a campsite.

Got some figuring to do.