cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this a ripoff or what??

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks ago I went up to Lake George NY for an event. My brother was staying at Ledgeview Village RV park. Since it was after peak season most of the park's facilities were closed. My wife and I came to stay overnight in my brother's fifth wheel at 5pm and left the next morning. We used no park bathrooms or showers.They charged me $30. When I got home I e mailed the owner to complain and she said that $15 per person was fair. I'll never patronize that place again.
50 REPLIES 50

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
wbwood wrote:
chris3403 wrote:
It says on their web site that the nightly charge for more than 2 people is $5 per person.

Do you mean $15 per person because I read a daily fee of $6 per person and an overnight charge of $15 per person on their rules page.

Their posted camping rates are for 2 people - more than 2 - it's $5 per night per person.
The $6 charge is for a guest who shows up for the day. If that guest stays over night, it's a $15 charge.
Unless I'm reading it wrong. :B

He said his brother was staying there and that the OP and his wife went to stay there overnight. So yes, the $15/person charge is correct. To avoid that, then they would of needed to be included in the original reservation, but then depending on how long the brother stayed would be beneficial or not.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
chris3403 wrote:
It says on their web site that the nightly charge for more than 2 people is $5 per person.

Do you mean $15 per person because I read a daily fee of $6 per person and an overnight charge of $15 per person on their rules page.

Their posted camping rates are for 2 people - more than 2 - it's $5 per night per person.
The $6 charge is for a guest who shows up for the day. If that guest stays over night, it's a $15 charge.
Unless I'm reading it wrong. :B
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
chris3403 wrote:

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

His post has a very clear implication that the park in some way cheated him, when he's presented no evidence they did anything dishonest.

X2

He also stated in a follow up post " I just felt that it was an exorbitant fee. I would have been happy to pay,say,$5 per person."
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dog Folks wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
The price and rules may or may not be excessive but...

The OP's implication that he was ripped off is wrong and inappropriate. Being ripped off implies the owner cheated him or took advantage of him when he had no other options. As the rules and prices were posted and he had the option to plan for other accommodations ahead of time, it's all on him.

I don't see the implication.

The OP did not say it WAS a rip off. He did not make a statement.

He said:"Is this a ripoff or what??"

He put forth a question for discussion.

That says to me he is unsure and wondering.

I said he "implied" it. If he said "this is a rip off", we would would be talking about what he "stated". Implication is a way to avoid "stating" something while still leading the listener to the conclusion that you want. Implicatons often come in the form of a question with only one logical answer.

His post has a very clear implication that the park in some way cheated him, when he's presented no evidence they did anything dishonest.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dog Folks wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

The OP's implication that he was ripped off is wrong and inappropriate. Being ripped off implies the owner cheated him or took advantage of him when he had no other options. As the rules and prices were posted and he had the option to plan for other accommodations ahead of time, it's all on him.

To the OP's credit he did pay the fee and seemed to question the cost later. The OP maybe guilty of not knowing the fee up front,which would have given him the opportunity to opt out and leave. The OP was blindsided by the fee and as a result somewhat shocked by the cost.

In the end the CG has done a decent job of trying to make everyone aware of the fee in hopes the fee would encourage visitors to leave and NOT spend the night.
The OP may also point a finger at the registered camper he visited, In an ideal scenario the registered camper should have alerted the OP to the $15.00 overnight fee before the OP stayed the night
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Lantley, you are right for sure as to defining what time do they have to leave. So what is the big deal about staying overnight (for $15) when they can be part of the group and stay for $5 for 24 hours. That is the logic I don't get.
Guests that arrive in the RV don't come with extra vehicles, visitors do. So you now have extra vehicles along with extra people, maybe it is just a shortcut from charging $5.00 a visitor and $10.00 for extra vehicles. And yes, day visitors usually are required to leave when quiet hours begin.
Maybe we are a bit anal, but we really try to put rigs with only two adults together. By doing so, we create an adult area that is a bit quieter than the area with bigger groups. Not a formal thing, but we feel it is a nice touch. When they arrive with two in the RV and 3 hours later a suburban full of people arrive, that kind of blows that plan to heck. I can see the value in discouraging long staying arrivals outside of those who arrive in the RV.

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Lantley, you are right for sure as to defining what time do they have to leave. So what is the big deal about staying overnight (for $15) when they can be part of the group and stay for $5 for 24 hours. That is the logic I don't get.

It is not $5 for 24 hours, unless the entire reservation is only 1 day. If you make a reservation for 5 days, and you have 3 adults, that is one more than two, so you are charged an extra $25 ($5 per day). If you have another adult show up sometime during that time frame and they decide to stay overnight, that us $15.

To avoid being overnighters they would have to leave by quiet time (now that one is an assumption on my part).
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Sorry, BobR, I think the person certainly can point this out - particularly when I read the park fees (which, I agree, might have been pointed out better). It is $5 per extra person per day. Fair enuf. $6 per person for daily visit. Fair enuf - see that at many of your high amenity places. But then $15 for overnight. That, to me, does not make sense and this is where I would like them to explain the logic. I must be missing something.

The logic is they don't want overnight guest. They want guest to leave and not stay overnight. The fee is to discourage one from staying.

By the way what time is check out for overnight guest? Do they need to be gone by sunrise?
I tend to agree, the fee is primary designed to discourage overnight guests. I would imagine the checkout time for overnight guests would be the same as the checkout time for the park, but who knows. I can see where overnight guests would be a big mess, especially in parks relatively close to population centers. Out here in the west, very few guests from Maine have people stopping by, so it is pretty easy for us to keep tabs on who should be in the park and who shouldn't. A park at the beach a couple of hours from a major city would be very different. A guest could have multiple friends and relatives stopping by, putting a big load on the park's amenities. On top of that, it is really easy to see if an RV unit has left the park, the site will be empty. Visitors in cars and trucks can park anywhere, so knowing if they have left as agreed is more difficult. With day visitors, you at least can drive the park after the visitors should have left and see if there are additional cars since most parks are one vehicle per RV, with lots of overnight guests, that is no longer the case and things would get very muddled since there would be many sites with multiple vehicles in addition to the RV unit. Their park, their rules and since they are apparently upfront with the fees, it surely isn't a ripoff as the thread title implies.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Lauren wrote:
Sorry, BobR, I think the person certainly can point this out - particularly when I read the park fees (which, I agree, might have been pointed out better). It is $5 per extra person per day. Fair enuf. $6 per person for daily visit. Fair enuf - see that at many of your high amenity places. But then $15 for overnight. That, to me, does not make sense and this is where I would like them to explain the logic. I must be missing something.

The logic is they don't want overnight guest. They want guest to leave and not stay overnight. The fee is to discourage one from staying.

By the way what time is check out for overnight guest? Do they need to be gone by sunrise?
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times