cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just booked trailer village grand canyon

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our texas trip, Ca to Az to NM to TX. i just booked 2 nights at trailer village rv at tne grand canyon. I was thinking petrified forest after the GC then Heading to roswell new mexico(bottomless lake?). Any recommendations on campgrounds along the way? We want to stop at roswell NM after grand canyon but also willing to stop in at other must see places for 1 night then from there to texas. We are also open to places to stop in texas before we get to our destination, New braunfels. We really want to enjoy the road trip so dropping in for a couple nights here and there along the way taking our time getting there even if it take 2 weeks.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
15 REPLIES 15

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. We are headed to Carlsbad Caverns after the Grand Canyon. It's about 10 hour drive so I was thinking we can stop somewhere halfway.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
BarryG20 wrote:
If down to Roswell why not hit Carlsbad Caverns

That place looks awesome. Where is camping in the area? Koa?
KOA or Brantley SP. If you only see one cave in your life, make it Carlsbad Caverns.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Sunset Crater has a 2 hour hike through the lava flows that was very interesting. The campground was clean and quiet.

Walnut Canyon was also a nice half day stop. The hike is not easy though, it is moderate.

When at Petrified Forest, we stayed one night at Homolovi State Park. We enjoyed the quick stop, as it was remote feeling. You could see the horizon in all directions, which was new to us. FWIW, we wish we had given more than a day to Petrified Forest. There were a few interesting hikes.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
The Great Meteor Crater outside Winslow, Arizona is worth a visit if you take that route. (I-40).
Happy Camping
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Petrified Forest doesn't have a RV park. You'd have to stay in Holbrook and it's not much. Or at the corner of 180 and the Petrified Forest Rd. there's a gift shop that allows overnighting. This is a hot time of year in that area though unless you arrive toward late afternoon. You can do a drive through for Petrified Forest and then continue on your way. It doesn't take long. Roswell really isn't much either unless you're purposely going that way.

A nice drive which takes you off the interstate would be to do your thing at Petrified Forest Nat'l Park and spend a night at Holbrook or make a reservation at nearby Show Low at Fool Hollow Lake State Park for a couple nights - very nice. It's a lot cooler at Show Low. Then leave via Hwy 260 through Pinetop to Eagar and pick up Hwy 60 taking it into New Mexico. Datil Well BLM Rec Area is a nice overnight. Continue to I-25 at Socorro. If you really want to go to Roswell, take 380 to Carrizozo and stay on it to Roswell.
Yeah we're going to cut out Roswell and go down to Carlsbad caverns.
If you'd want something else, stay at Circle B RV Park in Ruidoso on Hwy 70. Then to get to the Carlsbad area take 285 out of Roswell. We stay at Brantley Lake State Park for touring Carlsbad Caverns. You can then continue on 285 to I-20 in Texas.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Petrified Forest doesn't have a RV park. You'd have to stay in Holbrook and it's not much. Or at the corner of 180 and the Petrified Forest Rd. there's a gift shop that allows overnighting. This is a hot time of year in that area though unless you arrive toward late afternoon. You can do a drive through for Petrified Forest and then continue on your way. It doesn't take long. Roswell really isn't much either unless you're purposely going that way.

A nice drive which takes you off the interstate would be to do your thing at Petrified Forest Nat'l Park and spend a night at Holbrook or make a reservation at nearby Show Low at Fool Hollow Lake State Park for a couple nights - very nice. It's a lot cooler at Show Low. Then leave via Hwy 260 through Pinetop to Eagar and pick up Hwy 60 taking it into New Mexico. Datil Well BLM Rec Area is a nice overnight. Continue to I-25 at Socorro. If you really want to go to Roswell, take 380 to Carrizozo and stay on it to Roswell.

If you'd want something else, stay at Circle B RV Park in Ruidoso on Hwy 70. Then to get to the Carlsbad area take 285 out of Roswell. We stay at Brantley Lake State Park for touring Carlsbad Caverns. You can then continue on 285 to I-20 in Texas.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at going from the Grand Canyon to Gallup NM to Acoma Pueblo then down on to Carlsbad NM to Texas.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I bet the trailer park is nicer in the summer time. I visited in December and was rather turned off. paying full hookup prices but only able to use electric. (in get that water freezes in December, so it was turned off, but how about a price break then?)

On the bright side, they have cable tv, the nipple is on the back side of the power pedestal

Got it for july. 2 nights was $88 not bad i guess.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:

That place looks awesome. Where is camping in the area? Koa?

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
timandsusan wrote:
On our trips heading east across NM, we have enjoyed Gallup--visit the wolf sanctuary where they take in wolves that people have tried to raise at pets--don't stick your fingers into the enclosures--the wolves think it is a meal! Or move on to Grants, see the lava tubes, visit Acoma Pueblo, or El Morro National Monument. Or detour to Santa Fe--to much to see and do to mention. To get to San Antonio, we head south to Artesia, then Ft. Stockton before heading down I10 for home. Have a great trip! Any other questions, send a pm or email.

Im going to google those places. Thanks.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
4huskers wrote:
When are you doing this?

Mid july through mid august

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I bet the trailer park is nicer in the summer time. I visited in December and was rather turned off. paying full hookup prices but only able to use electric. (in get that water freezes in December, so it was turned off, but how about a price break then?)

On the bright side, they have cable tv, the nipple is on the back side of the power pedestal
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
On our trips heading east across NM, we have enjoyed Gallup--visit the wolf sanctuary where they take in wolves that people have tried to raise at pets--don't stick your fingers into the enclosures--the wolves think it is a meal! Or move on to Grants, see the lava tubes, visit Acoma Pueblo, or El Morro National Monument. Or detour to Santa Fe--to much to see and do to mention. To get to San Antonio, we head south to Artesia, then Ft. Stockton before heading down I10 for home. Have a great trip! Any other questions, send a pm or email.