cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kentucky Bound

wkrp
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving next Monday for a week in Kentucky.

We will be staying the entire time at the Kentucky Horse Park and doing our sightseeing from there. (The horse park of course, and Louisville Slugger and Churchill Downs in Louisville are in our plans.)

What else should we make sure we see and do while there?
22 REPLIES 22

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad you had a good time. KY has a lot to offer.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you enjoyed our state!

wkrp
Explorer
Explorer
We are back after 6 wonderful days in Kentucky. We stayed the whole time at the Kentucky Horse Park campground which is beautiful, quiet and very well taken care. Hundreds upon hundreds of trees for shade everywhere.

Day 1: Kentucky Horse Park--Great place if you love horses and we do.

Day 2: Toyoto Manufacturing plant in nearby Georgetown. 2300 hundred cars built per day. WOW! Olds Friends where they take in Thoroughbreds no longer wanted. Can you believe no one wanted the winner of the 2002 Belmont?

Day 3: Woodford Reserve Distillary. Old, old, distillary on the National Register of Historic Places. (Great samples too) Next, just driving around looking at the horse farms, Keeneland, Calumet Farms, etc.

Day 4: Louisville Slugger plant in Louisville. What a great place and worth the 80 mi. drive to get there. And for the finale, we spent the afternoon at the races at Churchill Downs. This was a secret present to my wife for our 40th anniversary and she loved it.

Kentucky is a great state to visit and we plan to go again next year.

The other two days were for relaxing!!!!!!!

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss the Mohammed Ali Museum. Within walking distance of the Louisville Slugger museum and just as good!

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
You have to go to Mammoth Cave while you are there. It's beyond amazing!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
The Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill is worth seeing, also the Henry Clay Estateand Mary Todd Lincoln House are also interesting.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

advntrs
Explorer
Explorer
We absolutely LOVE KY!!!! Have not camped anywhere in KY or TN that we did not like.
08 F-350 Super Crew 6.4
08 28' Keystone VR-1
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
By all means, visit some of the stables in the Lexington area. The horses live better than humans. Keeneland Race track in Lexington is absolutely beautiful (more than Churchill in my opinion), Also, about 40 miles south of Lexington on I-75 exit 77, are a couple of must sees in Berea,KY.
Berea College is located there. The school charges no tuition, but all the students must work as they learn a craft. The output of their labor is sold in the local shops, and you can watch them work. Beautiful wood projects, loom weaving, and my personal favorite, Boone Tavern, owned and operated by the school. Fantastic food, including Kentucky Spoon Bread (wear a belt that stretches). I don't know if its still true, but men were required to wear ties to dine there. They even had loaner ties for the uninformed. Its worth wearing a tie.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Shakertown (Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill) is an interesting place with guided tours and I believe a restaurant and shop.

I spent four years at Asbury College (now University) in that area and it's beautiful. On Sunday afternoons, we used to just drive around to visit horse farms, hang out and pet the thoroughbred champions on the nose. A different era, that's for sure!

There's a charming old place called the Old Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg that has a restaurant and tavern.

RockyRoadCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Abe Lincoln's wife's home in Lexington and Abe's birthplace not far from Elizabethtown. Go birdwatching at the old cemetery on main st. in Lexington. We like the Woodcraft Store in Lex'ton as well. Lex'ton and Georgetown both have interesting springs. Downtown G'town has many antique shops. But, Mammoth Cave is our main attraction in the state.

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
You will be about 2 hrs and 15 min from the Bowling Green Corvette factory. Great tours, You will really enjoy the Horse Park.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
At the KY Horse Park Visitors Center they have Horse Farm tours, which I think would be interesting, if you are into Horse Racing. The Georgetown Toyota Plant is a state of the art plant and very interesting.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Renfro Valley is always good for an evening entertainment. High quality performs and always 1 big name Sat. night concert. Check them out on the internet.

South Fork National Park is another option.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

travel4family
Explorer
Explorer
Slugger facotry you mentioned is great. For something different (and early before a lot if open) when in Lexington, go to Keeneland for breakfast and eat at the track kitchen. Just go early and show up, and follow the signs. I don't know why but we think it's fun. You're just going through a little cafeteria line, then eating at some tables but the practice riders, managers, etc. are all around you eating and talking. It's just neat and cheap. Then go up and watch morning practice on the track. I think practice was 9-11 or something like that when we were there.