Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kentucky Campgrounds

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

We are planning a visit to Kentucky, around the Lexington/Louisville area. We plan to tour some distilleries and take in the area.

Anyone have a campground recommendation? We'll just be in the area for a few days.

Thanks, Drew
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
14 REPLIES 14

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We took a trip to Kentucky in May from Maryland and stayed at Cave Country Rv Campground which is right off the interstate. Probably the cleanest campground we have ever stayed at and everyone was so friendly. All pull thru sites with full hookup and very inexpensive, perfect place for heading out to various destinations like Mammoth Cave National Park which was awesome! If interested in tours go online and reserve ahead of time. Great little barbecue joint called Bucky B's very close to the campground as well. We took a day trip to Louisville and toured the Louisville Slugger factory which was awesome if you like baseball and you get a souvenir bat at the end of the tour.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
The "trail" was mentioned and had sparked my curiosity about the Taylorsville park and the trail. Which distilleries did you find to be the best for product, distance and admission price?
Not a bourbon aficionado by no stretch, but have an interest and since we sort of plan to be in the area why not.

If I had to pick one, it would be Makers Mark in Loretta, KY. Without a doubt the most beautiful distillery. The grounds are beautiful. The distillery tour is very informative. Donโ€™t pass up going to see the storage cave they use for their โ€œ46โ€ bourbon. On the way you can stop by the Bourbon Heritage Center which is very close to Jim Beam. Seeing those two distilleries are good comparisons. I donโ€™t think there is a charge to tour Makers Mark, donโ€™t remember about Jim Beam
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "trail" was mentioned and had sparked my curiosity about the Taylorsville park and the trail. Which distilleries did you find to be the best for product, distance and admission price?
Not a bourbon aficionado by no stretch, but have an interest and since we sort of plan to be in the area why not.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for Kentucky Horse Park. Close to any of the attractions in the Lexington area.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would recommend Whispering Hills RV park. It is only 20 mins from Lexington. The cg is quiet well kept with very reasonable rates.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
I live 5 miles from Taylorsville Lake State Park and would recommend it for it central location. It is only 15 miles to the the Bluegrass Parkway and about 22 miles to the Gene Snyder Freeway (I265) outside of Louisville. Both of these ways to the park are good roads. KY 55 & 53 from the north and Ky 55 from the south have curves and rolling hills, just take your time and slow down, you will be fine. I drive them all the time in the motor home. All the stops on the Bourbon Trail are with in an hours drive. The Louisville Slugger Museum, Ali Center, Whiskey Row and Churchill Downs are 45 minutes to and hour. Bardstown and Frankfort is 45 minutes away. Lexington, Keenland, and the KY Horse Park are about hour away. About 90 miles to the south is Mammoth Cave and to the northeast is the Ark Encounter. It is a lot nicer camp ground than Boonesboro. It would be a great location to explore Bluegrass section of the state.

Ralph, I have stayed at 8 Ky state parks, 4 in eastern KY and have not seen a ATVs or golf cart problem . I think the use of ATVs is left up to each park manager. Golf carts do require a permit to operate in the camp ground.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Boonsborough is bad.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutchmensport........we have only been to a KY state park once and frankly I cant remember the name. All I remember was it was in eastern KY and had a very nice campround except for the fact they allowed golf carts and ATVs, which made it a noisy **** place. Are all the KY parks that way in regards to golfcarts and such or is it park specific?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
General Butler State Park cg is very nice!

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

In September, we're going to General Butler State Resort Park. Never been there, so looking forward to exploring new areas.

Let us know what you think of General Butler State Park. I've hiked there many times (staying in a hotel in Carrollton) but didn't explore the campground.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Drew A. wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
We stayed at Taylorsville Lake State Park and toured a couple distilleries in the area. It was pretty much centrally located for the attractions we wanted to see.

Thanks. I was looking at Taylorsville State Park.

Here's a couple photos from Boonsborough, our campsite and exploring:

Here's some shots from Taylorsville. Our campsite, hiking, sunset, and the lake.

What's amazing about this photo, is the fact, this was taken 60 days (2 months) after I had a total right knee replacement! I was breaking-in modern technology at it's finest. I didn't let anything stop me from doing what I enjoyed the most!

POOPED - OUT !!!

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at My Old KY Home campground, Bardstown several times. It's not the best Ky. state park, but you cant beat the location. Right on the "trail". We enjoy going there and other attractions and good restaurants nearby. We also like the Ky. Horse Park in Lexington.

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We stayed at Taylorsville Lake State Park and toured a couple distilleries in the area. It was pretty much centrally located for the attractions we wanted to see.

Thanks. I was looking at Taylorsville State Park.
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

We also stayed at Fort Boonsborough. I do NOT recommend that park. It's too close to the highway with big stone trucks coming down a hill using their exhaust brakes, and a stone quary adjacent the park property. The traffic noise on the road and stone quarry noise will drive you nuts and you can't get away from it!

In September, we're going to General Butler State Resort Park. Never been there, so looking forward to exploring new areas.

Personally, I think any of the state parks will be a very pleasant experience for you. (except Boonsborough). However, the roads leading to these state parks is often very narrow. They are paved magnificently. But very narrow. When driving anywhere off the interstates, take it slow, careful, and always hug the right side of the road. Roads are twisty, curvy, and slightly hilly. Lots of blind curves ahead, and you never know what kind of idiot will come flying around those blind curves! That's the scariest part about driving off the interstates in Kentucky!