cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Superior Grand Circle Tour

j_sgypsybuggy
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to do the Circle Tour this fall--perhaps mid-Sept. Would appreciate any help regarding campgrounds, things to see etc. We pull a 32 foot 5th wheel but would like hookups including water and electricity. We do have a generator but have found that they are frequently only allowed during certain hours. Would also like opinion of which direction to go (clockwise, or counterclockwise) We will be starting from the Duluth area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We've done the Great Circle tour twice. Fantastic scenery! Plan to go clockwise from the MN side that way all pull outs etc will be on right. As was stated, many parks start to close in Sept. Plan to see also see some of the sights in MI side. Take the small highways along the coast.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did this in 2016, went clockwise. Coming from Cleveland, here's where we stopped, and had a great time everywhere...Union Bay CG in the Porcupine Mountains, Michigan...Lamb's Resort, Schroeder, Minnesota....Happy Land CG in Thunder Bay, Ontario...Marathon, Ontario we had a reservation at a CG, but it was full when we arrived (they screwed up, we parked in a hotel lot)...Lake Superior Provincial Park, Agawa Bay section....Wilderness SP, Michigan (actually on Lake Michigan, at Straits of Mackinaw).

Absolutely loved the Agawa Bay CG, Union Bay, and Lamb's Resort. I'd rank the Happy Land CG last, but it wasn't awful. The Canadian side of Lake Superior isn't very populated, so make sure you fuel up wisely. I'm sure you'll enjoy this trip very much...good luck.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
PM me with an email and I'll send you the spreadsheet we used in 08. Did 54 waterfalls in 17 days CW from I-75 around the lake. It lists the falls, campgrounds, and some of the other sights.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We did this tour some years back and can comment as follows: don't expect the large campgrounds like we have in the States and some may only have 120V electric, and, don't expect to drive around and see the water; at least on the Canadian side. There is too much foliage to see thru.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
There is a KOA in Thunder Bay Ont. and Sault St. Marie Ont that are still open in Sept that provide full hook ups. Some Provincial Parks do close om labour day (Sept 3) best to check the Ontario Parks web page.
We did the same trip last year and really enjoyed Bayfield Wis. and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point, Michigan We missed Pictured Rocks - another time.
Gas up for the trip (full tank) between Sault St. Marie and Wawa as there are NO SERVICES and it is rugged country, lots of big hills but its no problem towing.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
never done the tour but liked the Duluth Marina and Grand Marais is one of the best camps around.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI many CG's close after Labor Day in these parts. So make sure to check first...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad