cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Entertaining the idea of going to Michigan (from Charlotte, NC area) in July for a week. We would like to start off with a short stop in Ann Arbor (maybe one day at most) and then go and see was much as possible. Not really looking to go and stay in one place for the entire week. 2 or 3 places would be ok as long as we could use them as anchor points and then use the car to explore a little.

Any recommendations?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
21 REPLIES 21

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I think the Ann Arbor art fair is in July. If you're into that it covers most of the downtown area. If you're not into that you do not want to be in town during it.

It's around July 20th...we are looking at before then...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I got some more research to do. Not sure how much we will get to see or do, but we will give it a shot. I think we will mostly stay to the west and up with the exception of Ann Arbor. Only reason for there is for my daughter to see the college campus and she picked to go there for her 16th birthday. So I am thinking part of a day there and then north(west).
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Michigan for the first time in late June. Our first stop is Holland then were going to make our way up to Platte River Campground in Sleeping Bear Dunes area. We will spend a a few days there then head to Petoskey. We will visit the Petoskey area and take a day trip up to Mackinac Island. From there we will head back to Indiana.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie,

Meijer with around 100 huge stores in Michigan alone has seafood flown in fresh daily and it's no more expensive than what the price was in Florida where we winter and just got bsck to our West Michigan home about 2-1/2 weeks ago. Most desired seafood is expensive everywhere except things like cod, pollock, or local crab or crayfish etc but again, that's local.

We paid the same price several times for lobster in New England or Bar Harbor area as we do here in Michigan or in Florida. Cold water lobster tastes a lot better that warm water lobster for sure. We'll take delicious Walleye or real freshwater Lake Perch over saltwater fish any day. No iodine taste!

Have yet to see cheap fish in florida unless you want to eat garbage fish Mullet, a cut bait fish with strong fishy taste. We're not fans of Catfish either as so many we have had even in popular celebrated restaurants around the country have had a muddy taste to us that we aren't used to.

The other reasons to avoid the S.E. corner of Michigan are obvious and most share with you too. I spent lots of time for many years in that S.E. MI area as I also had an engineering office etc there and won't go back either if can be avoided and allmost alwys is. The S.E. area of the state is very different in so many ways than the rest of the clean and vibrant growing gougeous west side or the very special north half, or the outstanding beautiful U.P. Worse than comparing apples to oranges! We were born and lived in West Michigan on the lakeshore for 75 years now and wouldn't even consider moving away!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I may live here now, but I have no love for the state. With singular exception of the Henry Ford Museum and Green Field Village, stay out of the south east corner.

I will admit that there is, however, a great deal to see and do. I don't have time today to offer all the alternatives, but if you come back with some preference, I bet we can find you native guides to make the excursion a complete success. The only things that they do not have here are mountains and good seafood. (You can get seafood, but it is expansive and I am used to east coast.)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Ann Arbor art fair is in July. If you're into that it covers most of the downtown area. If you're not into that you do not want to be in town during it.

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

We are going to Munising Tourist Park too in mid August.

Pictured rocks and a pastie!

Marie

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
southernsnow wrote:
Hi Brian,

We are headed to Michigan in August and I found that there is a lot of interesting sights in MI. We will be travelling up the west side of the mitten to Empire. From there we can tour the Sleeping Bear Dunes, Traverse City, and the Leelanau peninsula that has many local wineries and cherries.

Then we will spend three nights in the Upper Peninsula in Munising on the north shore. The Pictured Rocks look interesting.

Then down to Mackinaw City where we can get over to Mackinac Island.

My husband is a total car guy, so I dont know how we are getting through MI without going to the car museums -- except maybe because I plan the trips! Ha

Someone told me about Frankenmuth and the German influence there and the famous chicken dinners. I was told its okay, but don't make a special trip.

I booked all private CG because the research I did on the state parks shows they might be suitable for shorter rigs. We are 40'. Also, there is something else about "passes" for the state parks. I can't remember the exact details, but a quick google of that should give you the details.

I hope your family has a great time. We've never been and I'm looking forward to it.

Marie

As a Michigander, I think your plan looks great. We love going to northern Michigan, it's one of our favorite places to go especially by the bridge area. We almost always do all our camping trips on the west side of the state and of course I think we have some of the best beaches around ;).

We too are going to Munising (Munising Tourist Park) and Pictured Rock area. Lived here all my life and never went there, looking forward to it.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Brian,

We are headed to Michigan in August and I found that there is a lot of interesting sights in MI. We will be travelling up the west side of the mitten to Empire. From there we can tour the Sleeping Bear Dunes, Traverse City, and the Leelanau peninsula that has many local wineries and cherries.

Then we will spend three nights in the Upper Peninsula in Munising on the north shore. The Pictured Rocks look interesting.

Then down to Mackinaw City where we can get over to Mackinac Island.

My husband is a total car guy, so I dont know how we are getting through MI without going to the car museums -- except maybe because I plan the trips! Ha

Someone told me about Frankenmuth and the German influence there and the famous chicken dinners. I was told its okay, but don't make a special trip.

I booked all private CG because the research I did on the state parks shows they might be suitable for shorter rigs. We are 40'. Also, there is something else about "passes" for the state parks. I can't remember the exact details, but a quick google of that should give you the details.

I hope your family has a great time. We've never been and I'm looking forward to it.

Marie

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Mackinac Island. Spend the day and have brunch at the Grand Hotel. Rent a bike and ride around the island. There's a KOA near the island and plenty of parking to catch the ferry. No cars are allowed on the island. Even UPS delivers by horse and cart. Beautiful place.

Mike.
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Bubtoofat wrote:
Ann Arbor is OK when but be careful of all the one way streets downtown. I lived there for 7 years and still never really got used to them.

Since you'll be so close to Dearborn, a trip to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village would be nice. CLICKY.

And by the way, Brian, what are the Smoky Mountains like in April? Are things turning green and blooming that time of year or are things still pretty much brown and leafless? My wife will be down there the week after Easter.

Mike

April is a beautiful time in the Smokies. The amount of green varies with elevation, but by Easter there should be some even at the highest elevation. It's peak wildflower season.

Be prepared for some rain, possibly thunderstorms, and possibly some cool days (again, variable with elevation.)

Thanks mom
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Book early ! Many State Parks fill up quick !!

Not sure if you will have time, but the UP is beautiful wilderness. US 2 along the north coast of Lake Michigan close to the bridge has many little turn out where you can stop and spend the day at the beach.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Traverse City in early July for the Cherry festival.

Sleeping Bear Dunes

Interlochen State Park - There is a youth music camp right next door, and the campers are excellent musicians. They offer concerts for the public.

This is our favorite area!! One week would fly by as there are so many unique small towns to explore and the lakeshore is gorgeous. Pick one place for your whole stay.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn is worth a visit. Sleepy Hollow SP north of Lansing is a nice CG. All along the Lake Michigan shore is nice. Plenty to enjoy around Mackinaw City, including a boat ride to car-free Mackinac Island. Good trout fishing and/or canoeing in the AuSable River. Walk under the big trees at Hartwick Pines near Grayling.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point