cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Middle Arkansas recommendations, please

DRbillZ
Explorer
Explorer
Rather have scenic sites, full hook ups, quiet and peaceful, no train tracks nearby please :). Do not require pull throughs. Cycling and fishing a plus but not necessary. Day trips to nice restaurants, quaint towns (Little Rock ok), shows.
Thanks in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
garmp1 wrote:
Petit Jean State Park.
X4 or whatever. Just great!

x13 lol

Also, it's kind-of north central, but check into the Buffalo River NRA. Some great hiking and scenery. When we visited there after Petit Jean, we camped at Shady Oaks CG near Jasper.

Lake Catherine x7

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Petit Jean State Park.
X4 or whatever. Just great!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Crater of Diamonds State Park and really liked it. Really a nice park AND you can take a shot at finding some diamonds - which happens every day.

I also recommend Cloud Nine Park just outside Hot Springs. Extremely nice people and a nice clean park. $25/night for full hookups with Good Sam discount. They bought in a professional BBQer and offered a free BBQ on Memorial Day. They are located on top of a hill (can't really call it a mountain I guess) and you do feel like you're in the clouds. I'll stop there whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Lake Catherine State Park in Hot Springs. Our favorite.

X2

One of the quietest, most peaceful campgrounds I have stayed in. Great sites if you reserve early.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Once again, worry about my Trailblazer towing OK has been for nothing. It went right up Mt Magazine no problem. Also went all the way to Oregon over the Cascades and no problems there either.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
ok, thanks. seems I will be OK with my v8 Trailblazer towing a 5000 lb travel trailer. Always best to know what you are up against!!

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Mount Magazine SP is the highest point in the state, so it's a climb to get there. We came in from the south (Havana) and had no problem with our minivan towing our 17' Bigfoot. We didn't drive north to Paris, no help there. Enjoyed the park greatly and food at the lodge.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
How steep is the road coming from the south going up and over to Paris AK?

rvnutts
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love Lake Catherine state park. Ten minutes from Hot Springs and short drive into Little Rock.
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts

DRbillZ
Explorer
Explorer
Petit Jean looks good. We'll be in Searcy and it doesn't look too far from there. I'll make sure I have a50 ft hose

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
RayUSMC wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
Check out Petit Jean State Park. Some full hookups on the lake. Very pretty park.

x2

X3
FYI
The site we were in had the water on the opposite side than what you normally find and since we only carried a 25 foot hose we could not hookup to the water.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Check out Petit Jean State Park. Some full hookups on the lake. Very pretty park.

x2

cabranch47
Explorer
Explorer
We toured Arkansas for a month last fall, state parks only. You won't go wrong with any of them. Best I have seen.
2009 Flagstaff HW 27SC
1999 Ford F150 XCab

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Around Lake Ouachita are COE CG's plus the SP. The COE does have some sites with elec. and water but no sewer hookups. Dump stations though. Nice settings right on the water. I don't if you're looking for mountain bike trails, but the LOViT trail is really fun with segments from very easy to pretty stiff climbs. If you camp at Tomkins Bends, you can ride right from the CG with a variety of options. trail map
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)