cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missing Waterfall

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning a trip from Tallulah Gorge SP, GA to Fairy Stone SP, VA. While still in the planning, Stage some where along the route we had found a waterfall, that in the past you could drive under. Due to erosion and/or what ever, you can no longer do that, but it is still an interesting place to see.
Well I lost the info I had on it. Anyone familiar with my vague description of it. Almost positive a planned stop was Mt. Airy, if that helps. Didn't help me.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
11 REPLIES 11

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
If your route is taking you anywhere near Robbinsville, NC or Tellico TN, the Cherohala Skyway is a a beautiful drive and Bald River Fallsis one of our favorite waterfalls in that area.

With your Sportmobile, there are all sorts of nearby camping options. Horse Cove just outside Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is a great little FS campground located on Santeelah Creek. The second site from the far end on the upper section is our favorite and there are lots of dispersed sites along FS81.

Al

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the info.
Our trek this Sept is from Tallulah SP, GA to Fairy Stone SP, VA. Naturally stopping in Mt. Airy and am looking for all the waterfall info along the way that I can find. Don't want to vary too far off the course, but a slight deviation wouldn't be objectionable if the sights were worthwhile.
So with all that said, are there any other hidden gems, waterfall or other points of interest, out there that we should know of?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Why are there so many falls named Bridal Veil?

Yosemite, CA
Telluride, CO
Valdez, AK
Ontario, CA

More in Oregon, Arizona, New Hampshire, Utah, North Carolina and more!

Just a WAG, but possibly the mist from the falls looks like a Bride's veil?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
Retired JSO, you just made my wife's day. Bust Your Butt Falls has just been inked in our route.
Thanks

That's a must see but at my age not a must do. It's beautiful from the embankment.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Why are there so many falls named Bridal Veil?

Yosemite, CA
Telluride, CO
Valdez, AK
Ontario, CA

More in Oregon, Arizona, New Hampshire, Utah, North Carolina and more!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO, you just made my wife's day. Bust Your Butt Falls has just been inked in our route.
Thanks

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Bridal veil falls is closed as is dry falls until freezing temps are gone however, Bust Your Butt falls was ready for you Eskimo swimmers. We were there yesterday and rocks were falling from the recent freeze. Route 64 is not large vehicle friendly.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's it! Thanks a bunch. I sure didn't know about the campground though. Have to check it out on our way through.
thanks to all.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
I think ncscz has nailed it - Bridal Veil Falls on US 64 outside Highlands. The campground is Van Hook Glade which joins the Cliffside Lake Recreation Area. It opens April 1 - pretty good place to stay for tubing on the river. Nantahala Outdoor Center (and other outfitters)!arent too far away and offer some awesome rafting trips.

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly US64 between Franklin and Highlands, NC.

Bridal Veil Falls is on the road right-of-way and the road used to go under it. Dry Falls requires that you park and walk a couple hundred yards to the falls. You can walk behind the falls but you will not stay dry.

Pay attention to signs about maximum vehicle length. That section of 64 is winding, narrow and has a narrow shoulder with a rock wall on one side and a hundred foot drop on the other.

The highway scenes in the movie Thunder Road were filmed there. There is a small National Forest campground (Cliffside) along the road. Not sure when it will open this spring, I think it had to close early last fall due to fires in the area.
CarriGo
Model 2320

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bridal Veil Falls in Highlands, NC?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus