cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Black Hills, finally!

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we're loading the final few items before we leave tomorrow for South Dakota. We've had this on our bucket list for years. We finally decided that it's the top priority. Woooooohooooo. We are both so looking forward to this new adventure.

We have a month to spend.

Devils Tower.
Spearfish.
Fall colors in general.
Deadwood.
The metropolis of Lead to tour the gold mine.
Mount Rushmore.
Crazy Horse.
Custer State Park.
Sturgis.
Wind Caves NP.
The Needles Highway.
Bison, antelope, prairie dogs, burros,and other assorted critters.
Custer's Battlefield.
The Mammoth museum in Hot Springs.
The Museum in Rapid City.
The Museum in Bozeman (Dinosaurs, LOVE dinosaurs).
Wall Drugs in downtown Wall.
The Badlands.

I've read every post on this forum regarding South Dakota. We will post photos as we travel.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.
16 REPLIES 16

Band47
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I made a seven week trip to most of the same places this past summer. Loved the Black Hills most of all. Don't forget Cheif Crazy Horse. The night shows at Rushmore and Crazy Horse are a must. I did not see Devil's Tower on your list, however it will be well worth the trip. We pulled our Harley in a trailer and rode most of the roads in the area.....one of the best adventures of our lives. Good luck and enjoy.....we stayed at the French Creek Campground while in Custer. The campground owners are Rock and Diane. They are a fun couple and really made us feel like family.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
We where just talking about this area being on our list for next year. Trying to pick a time to schedule it. What months are best for not too crowded, all attractions open, yet little risk of snow?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will be beautiful with the leaves changing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your input, very informative.

We have been calling and we've confirmed that many establishments will have closed for the year, but it's not a deal breaker.

The weather may be trending into fall, but we grew up in Western Washington, so we will be fine.

We realized at Carlsbad Caverns that being underground isn't "our thing", and we're spending time at Wind Caves just for the wildlife viewing and the fall colors.

I do know that Custer's Battlefield is in Montana, I visited there once many years ago.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your input.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW! a whole month! The Black Hills are big, but a month is a long time! but if you have the time why not! ๐Ÿ™‚ Lots to see and do, but as was said some things will be closed for the year!

Have fun!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
from an older post;

Pictures

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
This time of the year, don't forget winter clothes and a snow shovel.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Some campgrounds and attractions are already closed, Snow predicted for Friday.
pawatt

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that Wind Cave NP is more than the cave. We camp there every fall to listen to the elk bugle. You can see as much wildlife here as at Yellowstone, except for the wolves, bear and moose. We used to go to Yellowstone every fall, but we were seeing more elk at Wind Cave NP than Yellowstone NP. The bison here are also pure bison, as in no cattle dna in them. Just across the fence in Custer SP, the bison have cattle dna, so they take keeping them separate very seriously.

Oh yeah, the gold mine in Lead is now an underground science lab, but the tour won't get you underground. Just so you know, the visitor center is under construction.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I just got back from there, it was fantastic, be prepared for snow, we weren't, lol

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for each of those locations for previous posts.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped in Rapid City at Chapel in the Hills. Beautiful looking chapel. Have a great trip!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Custers Battlefield is Little Big Horn Nat'l Battlefield in Montana.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have seen many of those sites, some more than once. We loved the badlands and wished we had more time explore. The Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman is terrific and my boys ask to visit every time we drive through. Sturgis without the motorcycle run was pretty boring, and although Mt. Rushmore is nice and certainly a good item on your bucket list, it only needs a couple hours to get the experience. There are places on your list we still want to visit. Have a terrific and safe trip!
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4