Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My 50th Bday out west

jrlibbie09
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

Turning 50 in late April, and I have really been wanting to take a long trip, for first time to Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore, and Yellowstone. Leaving and returning to DFW area. I really don't want to go during busy times, and of course when safe to travel. What are your thoughts and experiences during a late april or early May to any or all of these locations. Thanks
Coachmen Encounter 37FW 2012
Ford Edge 2010, towed with
ReadyBrute Elite w ReadyBrake
14 REPLIES 14

newk
Explorer
Explorer
The big crowds don't hit the Black Hills and Yellowstone until mid-June. And fair warning: Despite what others have said about the Black Hills being fine in April -- I've lived here (just west of Black Hills) for 43 years, and late April snow storms are NORMAL! Big ones! Very true that the weather might be warm, even possibly dry, but there's always a real threat of BIG snow storms throughout April. I'm talking several feet! In Yellowstone they come even later. FWIW, April is my least favorite weather month of the year in Wyoming -- wind, clouds, rain, sleet, snow, and (more) wind. And all this without benefit of leaves on the trees! ๐Ÿ˜‰

America's Snowiest Places

#5: Lead, S.D.
Snow stats

Average yearly snow: 201.4"
Population (2000 census): 3,124
Snowiest month: March (35")
Snowiest day: 52" (3/14/1973)
Record depth: 73" (3/1/1998)
Quick question: Name a region with a reputation for heavy snow? Did you answer the Rockies? New England? The Great Lakes snowbelts? Cascades or Sierra? Alaska? I'll bet the Black Hills of South Dakota wasn't one of your answers. But it should be.

Lead (pronounced LEED), and its sister city, Deadwood, are in the northern Black Hills. North winds circulating around powerful Plains storm systems are lifted by the hills, wringing out prolific snow totals well over 10" three to four days a year, on average.

An incredible 5-day snowstorm once dumped over 112" in Lead in late February/early March 1998. That's over 9 feet or more than double the average annual snowfall in Denver... in one snowstorm!

What other location in the U.S. averages over 20" of snow... in six different months (November through April)? Two spring months, March (35") and April (34"), are Lead's snowiest months!

How many places average almost 1" of snow... wait for it... in June? There was once 10" of snow on the ground on June 2!

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to see Monument Valley.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about RVing is you can plan at the last minute. If the weather is good you can always head north. If not, there are plenty of things to see and do down South. The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Mojave Desert, San Diego, Disneyland, Santa Barbara, and many other things.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to the places you list a number of times but we always go in June and have always had great conditions. I don't know what you consider a crowd, but we never had any trouble seeing all the sites that time of year.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I did my 50th last year in April and elected for southern states. I had a good buddy who lives near Tucson and another who lives near San Diego so it was a good excuse to visit them. Around May 1st I was starting to head back to Missouri and it was 105 in the shade at Death Valley.
I left for the Flagstaff area after that miserable night. Three nights later I was towing through Springfield MO in a heavy snow...in the first week of MAY!!!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, Yellowstone will be difficult to visit until late May onward. GC in April is generally delightful. BH in April or May.

I hope you have at least three weeks planned for this adventure. This is a big loop with hours of driving. Each of these destinations require several days once you arrive, plus you'll find things along the way that will also take your time.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of a better way to spend your 50th than to be camped someplace you really liked and offered great feelings, like looking over the Grand Canyon or parked next to Mount Rainier, or in a campsite looking out over the Pacific Ocean. Have your party right there where you can be with a few close friends or maybe just your wife and give thanks to God for your first fifty years and pray for a few more good years in the future. Have some good drinks, a steak or whatever your favorite meal is and celebrate quietly. Tell the wife you'd rather be doing something special rhan having a big bash at home. Another great place to reflect on your 50 years is at Yellowstone Falls looking at the wonders of nature; enjoy the day!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the Grand Canyon in late April.The 3rd night of our trip we stayed in Amarillo,Texas and it was 90 degrees.The next night we were in Gallup,NM and it was 15 and snowing.We arrived in Williams,Az the next day to 6" of snow.When we drove to the canyon,temps warmed up to about 50 but there was still snow on the ground.You may want to consider middle of May or early September.

jrlibbie09
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. Maybe we will split this trip up and stay sound part first. For some reason my wife wants us back home by the actual bday too.
Coachmen Encounter 37FW 2012
Ford Edge 2010, towed with
ReadyBrute Elite w ReadyBrake

BillofPA
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, to be 50 again!!
Jenny & Bill
2004 H/Rambler Ambassador 34PDD
Cummins ISC330 Allison 6 speed
2003 Chevy Malibu Toad
Our new Yorkie, Daisy.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone roads may not be open in April. I wouldn't plan on being there before mid-May.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills will be no problem in mid to late Aprila, lived there for many years and spring was always good....might be rainy and temps in the 40's-50's, and vegetation getting nice and green. Grand Canyon, at least the south rim will be good in April also, actually maybe just a bit warmer than the Black Hills. That brings us to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons country, you're planning and early trip; try to wait at least until late May. Early to mid June would even be better with no crowds and little traffic.

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
For the 50th birthday...Death Valley.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Canyon elev. 6600 ft. Avg. high 65, Avg. Low 35
Mt. Rushmore elev. 5,000 ft. Avg. high 57 Avg. Low 37
Yellowstone elev. 8,000 ft. Avg. high 47 Avg. Low 20
All three still have snow in Apr/May.
Dallas elev. 600 ft.
If you can do it, June would be more comfortable for you. YNP averages 10 inches of snow in Apr/May. CGs don't open until Mid/late May.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.