Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NE Tuscon for the winter 2015/2016

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We've been told that NE Tuscon is THE place to be. Been doing some research found a park called Pima/Swan. Looks ok but has anyone stayed here? Is the NE area of Tuscon good for Hiking, that's what the DH likes to do. Me not so much but ok with pool, biking and Zumba. We really could care less about organized activities. We can make our own activities. We'd appreciate any recommendations, any other parks with reasonable rates.

Sheila aka...Dave's Wife
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me
4 REPLIES 4

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
We've had two extended stays at Desert Trails. If you are a hiker/mountain biker, the location is superb, but Catalina State Park, Pima Air & Space Museum, downtown museums are a good drive away.

The downside is the park itself. It is an old water park with many of the dilapidated facilities still in place. The facilities are for the most part in serious need of repair. The dog park is a joke. Campers are packed in like sardines. When it rains, the place is a mud pit with standing water. You have to wait for someone to die to get the best sites. The onsite owner is very nice and helpful.

All of that said, the place has a cult like following. They are very passionate about the place. Same people year after year. They are very friendly and helpful. Lots of activities. This is a love it or hate it kind of place.

We'll probably stay there again just because of the hiking even though we are not part of the "cult."
Or you could go next door to Justins Diamond J and get large sites, small but decent dog park, fewer activities and nice owners which are former owners of Desert Trails.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had two extended stays at Desert Trails. If you are a hiker/mountain biker, the location is superb, but Catalina State Park, Pima Air & Space Museum, downtown museums are a good drive away.

The downside is the park itself. It is an old water park with many of the dilapidated facilities still in place. The facilities are for the most part in serious need of repair. The dog park is a joke. Campers are packed in like sardines. When it rains, the place is a mud pit with standing water. You have to wait for someone to die to get the best sites. The onsite owner is very nice and helpful.

All of that said, the place has a cult like following. They are very passionate about the place. Same people year after year. They are very friendly and helpful. Lots of activities. This is a love it or hate it kind of place.

We'll probably stay there again just because of the hiking even though we are not part of the "cult."
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

JerryBQ500
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent many winters in Tucson. The area around Pima and Swan is not good. The park there is very run down.
Desert Trails RV Park is a very good park that is connected to MANY hiking trails.
JerryB

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, NE Tucson has several hiking trails in nearby Mt. Lemmon plus Sabino Canyon. You may want to look at Far Horizons Tucson Village RV Park as they are well situated for driving to the Catalina Mountains via Catalina Highway. I've never stayed there myself but it gets good reviews here.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel