cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new orleans

mrhibs
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on a trip to New Orleans for the Christmas Holiday. Any suggestions on where to stay.
19 REPLIES 19

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Bayou Segnette SP. Great place about 20-25 minutes from downtown and easy to get to. Check out my photolink and I have a whole album of pictures from the park that show what a lot of the campsites look like.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
As a former N.O. resident and La. native let me just say for those who are thinking of visiting please don't get hung up on the view that N.O. is only the French quarter, it is not! There are many things to do and see in N.O. and the surronding area. I won't even try to name them but there are some great guide books and websites that can you lead you to days of activities and sights to see. The amount of varied cultural history in the area is incredible Go on a diet before you go and then enjoy the many great eating establishments.
As for the French Quarter go and visit it at least once because it is truly unique and historic, but it is not all tawdry bars and strip joints although they are there on Bourbon St.. Go during the day and visit Jackson Square, Cafe DuMond and the many high quality shops in the quarter. Stay in the major areas at night, don't wander into the surronding neighborhoods and I predict you will be fine.

As for Ponchartrain Landing, I stayed there 2 months ago. The access road leading in is very rough, the sites are all gravel and the surronding scenery is an industrial canal complete with a decaying industrial complex across. The sites themselves were of decent size and and level. I would stay again but will try Bayou Segnette next time.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed for a week at Jude Travel Park in the Good Sam Book. Nice small
park with an easy drive into the City. They even have a shuttle service
if you prefer. Visited the WWII museum--excellent.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with French Quarter RV Park is the cost. It is very expensive and the cost increases if there are special events going on in the area. We stayed at Bayou Signette State Park. It is an urban park and was redone after Katrina. It is about a 20 minute drive to the free Algiers Ferry. You pay a fee for parking in a private lot, hop on the ferry, and you are dropped off at the French Quarter. The state park is wonderful, providing information for all the things you might need. And the cost is around $25 per night. No sewer hookups though. New Orleans is not for us. It is a dirty, smelly place and we will not be returning but it was interesting to experience it once.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
KOA West. Camp on!

RonBoyd
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort (http://www.fqrv.com/) six times now and have never been concerned about safety. First, it is very secure with a 24-hour guard at the gate and a 12 foot/2 foot wide wall around the whole facility with razor-wire-like material on top. In any event, the ability to quickly walk to the French Quarter is such an advantage. Once you are in the FQ, there is plenty of public transportation to take you anywhere in the city. I highly recommend the FQRVR -- but recognize that the rates are high. Passport America members get a 50% discount the first night and you can use another discount (Good Sam, for instance) for the second night.
2008 Roadtrek 210 Versatile

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
I think the advantage of Segnette over Fountainbleau is if you want to fish.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Visited New Oleans last three years and always stay at Fontainbleau State Park. We park on side streets along trolley route and ride to French Quarter.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RV'ing forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Fountainbleau is a nice one too-- growing up we use to picnic at the day use areas...

The Toys:

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Read about Bayou Segnette State Park

The Toys:

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We just left FonataineBleau SP in Mandeville and it was nice, but full, so reservations may be in order. The Causeway is only 4 miles from the campground. Please be sure to read the travel advisories for the boundaries of certain areas!

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bayou Signette in April 2013 for a week. We had a wonderful experience.
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

TheCanuckian
Explorer
Explorer
KOA is nice, and you can take the streetcar near there to downtown. However, Nawlins aint that good .......would not go back.
2014 Bighorn 5th Wheel ---- 2012 Cedar Creek Cottage

Marc and Linda -2 Yorkies- LuLu and LollyPop

Endless Summer.... Quebec and Florida

Visit our Blog - The Canuckian๐Ÿ™‚