cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New York City Tours

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who will be in NYC and is searching for tour company. Any recommendations or those to avoid?

Thanks very much for any info you can provide. They are long time RVers.
13 REPLIES 13

Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Good advice, 1775. There's also a Wiki on how to be like a New Yorker.

Most of that link is very true!
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice, 1775. There's also a Wiki on how to be like a New Yorker.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Explorer
Explorer
If you have never been to Manhattan then take one of the tour buses - either GreyLine or BigBus. Once you have been around the city this way, then pick where you would like to go to see on your own and then walk or take the subway or bus.

Advice for first time NYC tourists from a lifelong New Yorker - Don't wander aimlessly looking as if you don't know where you are going. Don't talk to anyone who just comes up to you to "help" you, sell you something, or who seems just too interested in you and your family. Keep your wallet where no one can brush up against you and take it. If anyone wants to hand you something and says "Check it out!", just keep walking - you don't want to check it out - unless you are looking for a different type of a "good time". Mostly, everyone is nice but we have something in NY called "healthy paranoia" - just be aware of your surroundings and who is too close and you will have a nice time.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the subway pass (20 rides?) I think you break even at 14 trips. You don't get a tour guide but it was easy getting around Manhattan if you are comfortable with trains. I liked the flexiblity of taking the subway to the edge of China Town and walking through China Town and Little Italy and then catching the subway back to our hotel area.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

trafficmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Was there 3 Fridays ago for first ever visit. We did the Grey Line tour that goes down to 911 Memorial and up to central park. Talked tickets down to $29 each and was well worth it never being there before.
2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double Cab and a really nice tent.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Been to NYC many times. We enjoyed the Circle Line tour around Manhattan by boat. There is so much to see especially on the north end that you cant get to by car. Very relaxing and informative.

That sounds like fun! Going to try to work that in next trip. Thanks.

We try to do someting on the water on each trip - even if it's just taking the SI ferry. Seeing the lights of Manhattan at night while you're pulling away is awesome! (And free).

There's also a guided canoe tour down the Bronx River during the warmer months.
It's his Super Power!

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
What we did one time...I was with a group staying up near Newburgh. We got a bus going into New York City. It went to the Port Authority...we then got on a Gray Line tour of the city. The guide was very nice...we were late getting back to the station so he had the bus driver stop outside so we could try and make our bus trip back up to Newburgh. The bus driver there even drop us off at the hotel where we were staying.
Mark

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been to NYC many times. We enjoyed the Circle Line tour around Manhattan by boat. There is so much to see especially on the north end that you cant get to by car. Very relaxing and informative.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
We have done the Grey Line and also the Big Red Bus (??Big Bus??) They were both pretty much the same.

You're right, BigBus is the big red one. There's also a green one.

All pretty generic, but they're a good way for visitors to get their bearinigs if they haven't spent much time in NYC and if they don't have someone local to show them around.
It's his Super Power!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the Grey Line and also the Big Red Bus (??Big Bus??) They were both pretty much the same.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We took one of the open air bus tours, possibly Greyline, and really enjoyed it.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
NYC has the usual topless bus loop tours like GreyLine and BigBus.

For the more touristy stuff they may want to look into a CityPass.

Most stuff (other than the Statue of Liberty ) you can get to by subway, taxi or city bus.

There's so much to do in NYC. It all depends on what your friend wants to do.

Not an Advert

(EDIT: Links fixed)
It's his Super Power!