cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No one around to take $$ for campsite?

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Driving to Texarkana last night we were going to be arriving after midnight. I found a PA park & about 9 PM called the after hours number as they said on the website. I left my name, phone number, when we'd be arriving, & that I'd pay them this morning before we left to get back on the road.

Arrived at the park about 12:30, took an unoccupied site at the front of the park. Didn't even unhook the truck. Just hooked up W/E, put down stabilizers, & retired inside.

This morning I went to what I assumed to be the office. It was the laundromat & snack machines. I knocked on the door of the trailer nearest the laundromat. No answer. Not a soul was out & about. It was about 10am before we were ready to leave & I went out several times to see if anyone was driving around, working on the grounds, etc. Nothing!

About 8:30 I had called the other phone number listed on the PA site, told them who I was again, here's my phone number, I'm in site #3 and we need to leave so please contact me about paying.

Never heard from anyone all day long after we left. So.... Should I just drop a check in the mail with what I *think* I owe them?
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH
41 REPLIES 41

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Passport America has the amount in the book or on the web. I just leave a check if I get there after hours and leave before they open.

I will let you decide the morality. I know I don't want to be stolen from and I don't steal from others.

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
I can only work weekends
Gary

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, thinking that also. Put a small box and envelope to say --MAIL CHECK PAYABLE TO xxx...and sit back and become rich ๐Ÿ™‚

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about going there 1 day/week and just standing at the entrance and collect fees. I wonder which day is the busiest for campers coming in each week .;)
Gary

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
rfryer wrote:
l001952119 wrote:
rfryer wrote:
I probably wouldn't. You wasted your time trying to pay and worse, you apparently don't know what the fee is. You left your contact info and my attitude would be call me and I'll be glad to send you a check. If there were remote pay stations like the forest service cg's and a known rate it would be a different story, I'd just put the cash in the box.

YOU received a service and morals indicate to me that you should call, get the cost and pay them! Your thoughts border on theft of service!

I never suggested beating the cg out of their fee. The OP said there was no place to put the money, no one there, no one answered the phone, and he didnโ€™t know what the fee was. So I assume it wasnโ€™t posted. So in his shoes my attitude would be you have a slipshod operation and Iโ€™m not going to jump through hoops and guess if the fee is $10, $20, $40, etc. and mail you a check. Hereโ€™s my phone number, call me and weโ€™ll take care of it. No โ€œmoralโ€ implications to it whatsoever.

X2.

if you call and left message and NO response comes back...then it is over in my opinion. I can't 'make' a biz want my money ๐Ÿ™‚ I can't track them down with a private detective. Time enough spent on this!

if they want money, they need to respond at some point.

I would not send a check or anything. it would be over if no contact came my way.

D_E_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
similar happened to us in Monahans Texas lat year. Stayed in a campground off I-20, no one around, only the locked laundry. Spoke with some maintenance fellas in the morning, they said to call the office. I did, she never came around to see us. Left, and called the office later and payed with credit card over the phone. Worked out OK. They sent me an email receipt. Dona
Dona and Elvin

2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 4x4 Mega cab-in Pearl black/tan
2007 Open Road 359RL3S
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with ^^^^^^^^^^^. The OP has gone out of his/her way to do the right thing. More than most probably.
Puma 30RKSS

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
l001952119 wrote:
rfryer wrote:
I probably wouldn't. You wasted your time trying to pay and worse, you apparently don't know what the fee is. You left your contact info and my attitude would be call me and I'll be glad to send you a check. If there were remote pay stations like the forest service cg's and a known rate it would be a different story, I'd just put the cash in the box.

YOU received a service and morals indicate to me that you should call, get the cost and pay them! Your thoughts border on theft of service!

I never suggested beating the cg out of their fee. The OP said there was no place to put the money, no one there, no one answered the phone, and he didnโ€™t know what the fee was. So I assume it wasnโ€™t posted. So in his shoes my attitude would be you have a slipshod operation and Iโ€™m not going to jump through hoops and guess if the fee is $10, $20, $40, etc. and mail you a check. Hereโ€™s my phone number, call me and weโ€™ll take care of it. No โ€œmoralโ€ implications to it whatsoever.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you even consider NOT paying for the service you used?

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Alot of the NATL FOREST camp sites are on the honor system and have a drop box on your way out to leave money. I always leave money but know of several who doesn't..

Our home camp ground just 40 miles away from the house has their firewood stacked-up available on the honor system which is $.50 cents a fire log. Again I always pay but I have watched folks time and time again loading up and just driving off. Guess I wasn't raised that way hehe...

Roy Ken

No you are not supposed to pay on the way out you are supposed to pay and display your receipt in the window for the ranger to see WHILE YOU ARE CAMPING
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Just curious - how did you get in? Is there a gate code associated with passport america, which is somehow connected to an account with your name?

No gate. Instructions on PA site said basically "after hours/weekends call XXX, leave message if no one answers, Come in CG, set up & someone will be around to see you for payment the next morning."
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
rfryer wrote:

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious - how did you get in? Is there a gate code associated with passport america, which is somehow connected to an account with your name?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We tried to pay at one campground and nobody around. Somebody told us to pay the "iron ranger". Put my card in the credit card slot and it never did give it back. So I no longer trust them either.

Just wanted to help.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
No drop box. The only door was the one into the laundromat which certainly isn't secure. I'll have to wait till next Monday when we get back to send them a check-- I only travel with plastic & cash.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab