cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oakplantation vs Mt. Pleasant KOA in Charleston, SC

bkwatson69
Explorer
Explorer
We normally stay at Oak Plantation and love it. Daughter will be playing in North-South All Star soccer game on Danial Is. I just wanted to see if there is any reason for not staying at the KOA in MT. Pleasant since it is closer. Or should I stick with Oak Plantation and make the drive.

THANKS.
'96 GMC Z71 X-cab(when I grow up I want to be a Duramax.)Finally grew up...2012 2500HD Dirty Max
2004 Keystone Cougar 294RLS, Equalizer Hitch
12 REPLIES 12

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on when you will be driving to/from the games due to traffic.

Unless you will be driving during rush hour, there is only a few minute advantage to the KOA Campground.

However, if there is a wreck on the Mark Clark between you and your campground, then the KOA has a huge advantage since you can just take Clements Ferry road over to Hwy 41 and be close to the KOA when it hits 17, all of which is about the same time/distance as the Mark Clark. If you are at the Oaks, you would need to go over to Mt Pleasant, across the new Arthur Ravenal Bridge and then up 17, adding about 30 minutes to travel time.

By the way, most wrecks happen on the Don Holt Bridge which is west of Daniel Island towards Oak Plantation.

I've visited both campgrounds and think they are about the same, so I would go with KOA to be safe on the traffic issue. Besdies, you may find it's a great alternative and give you some new resturaunts to try.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
bankcardrep wrote:
Commuting to Daniel Is is probably easier from James too.

No. They have widened 17 in Mount Pleasant, so it would be quick to 526 to Daniel island. Stay at KOA for this event.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
If the KOA is closer to the event, I would choose it hands down. The pool and amentites are centrally located in the KOA and the sites are much much bigger than Oak Plantation. The pool is also bigger.
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS

bankcardrep
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at Mt. P and it is OK. Prefer state and county parks when I can get them. We have stayed at James Island County Park for years. It is our favorite. All the amenities of KOA except not commercial. It is close to services like Mal Wart and restaurants but far enough in the woods to be quiet. There are two water parks for guests and a fishing dock. Miles of paved bike/walking trails. Commuting to Daniel Is is probably easier from James too. Have a great trip no matter where you pick!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing. Many of the locals make and sell hand woven baskets made from the local dried sea grass. Beautiful work, reasonable prices and they make good gifts for friends when you get home.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Cosmic Jacks for the best hot dogs around just outside the park on 17
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the Mt Pleasant KOA. We stayed there for several days in late March and really enjoyed it. As the others have said, it's very quiet, yet close to many stores and restaurants. The "SeeWee Restaurant" on Rt 17 is not to be missed!

Just don't go swimming in the lake at the campground... :B

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
It is a nice KOA! We have stayed there several times. The people are great!
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have stayed at both on several occassions and prefer Mt. Pleasant, mostly for its location. It is set back as if it was some kind of "private island" yet is very close to anything and everything you could need. The traffic at Oak Plantation is a problem - no such issue at the KOA. Prefer the staff at the KOA as well, and the layout of the campground. Some of the sites at Oak Plantation may be a little nicer, but there is nothing wrong with any of the sites at the KOA. Hopefully you are planning in advance. The KOA is very popular and fills up pretty quickly most weekends. Enjoy your visit.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

parrothead48
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Mt. P last October, it's a nice campground.
Convenient to stores, etc but isolated enough so you don't get traffic noises.
2007 Rockwood UltraLite 8388SS
2004 Ford F250 4x4
"We are the people our parents warned us about" Jimmy Buffett

Krease
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven through the Mt. P KOA and it's a nice looking campground. It is off the main road, so it is pretty quiet. There's also Blackbeard's Cove fun park right next to it if the kids need something to do... or the adults ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at the Mt. Pleasant KOA a couple of times. Nice folks running it and a beautiful setting. Its back off the road enough that you don't hear the traffic on 17.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.