cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to do in Charleston, SC

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife and I are going to Charleston the end of May for 4 days. We are staying at the Mt. Pleasant KOA. Tried to get into James Island but they only had 2 days available of the 4 we needed.

We have never been to Charleston before and would like some input on some things to do in the area. I noticed that there's an aircraft carrier there (USS Yorktown). Can you actually board the ship for a tour? I am a bit of a history buff and stuff like that really interest me. My wife is more into shopping and food (she is a food network junkie). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
16 REPLIES 16

dogburn
Explorer
Explorer
About 20 miles South of Charleston is Wadmalaw Island. On this island is the Charleston Tea Plantation. Claimed to be the only tea plantation in the USA. We have been there twice and would go back again. They give tours of the grounds and you can also tour the factory. Very interesting and informative!

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the Hunley museum. We traveled down over Thanksgiving specifically so my 5 y/o son could see it - he LOVES submarines/ships and Civil War history. Very interesting and well worth a look.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Charleston and since we had prviously gone to several of local Plantations we went to Charlestowne Landing this time, (SC State Park) this Trip. If you havn't been it is worth the visit. It is the site of the first settlement and it is very well done. We like Poogan's Poarch since they let our Beagle sit with us on the patio.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

JerJan10
Explorer
Explorer
We also camp at the Mt Pleasant KOA, it's a good campground, clean bathhouse, etc. We drove the F250 over to Charleston the first two trips but last year we went to Patriot Point and took the Water Taxi over to Charleston. It's reasonably priced, you probably will see dolphins and you don't have to worry about parking in the city. Have fun!

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
If you do Ft Moultrie and run into the two volunteers from TN, be sure to say "Hi". We are volunteering with the NPS until the end of June. We are also on the boat tour of Ft Sumter.
gloriebkj

PotKorn
Explorer
Explorer
Stop by and hug our grandbabies for us.

Go out to Folly Beach via James Island, stroll the beach, visit the fishing pier, have dinner at the Crab Shack, very casual and very good seafood.

Lots of plantations. As someone mentioned, Boone Hall is close to where you'll be staying and has slave quarters and great presentations, but the mansion is not original. Magnolia Gardens, Middleton Place, and Drayton Hall are also very good.

Cruise to Fort Sumter, and you'll get both a pleasant harbor cruise and a historic tour.

Many of the mansions downtown by the Battery are open for tours.

Visit The Citadel. (If you were going to be there during the school year, there's a regimental parade every Friday afternoon that's open to the public).

Take in a Riverdogs minor league baseball game (Yankees farm club, but still OK).

Plus pretty much what everyone else said.

Krease
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking for a couple places to eat downtown, try Lowcountry Bistro or Poogan's porch. They're more of a "locals" place. Actually, since you're staying in Mt. Pleasant, try out Red's on shem creek.

Yorktown is pretty neat, also the boat ride and history of Fort Sumter, but you can also go see the Hunley in N Charleston. The aquarium is "ok" as far as aquariums are concerned. I dunno if yall are into fire trucks, but there is a fire truck museum next to the Tanger outlets.

It's really hard to sum up Charleston in a few days, but it sounds like you have a good start. If you have any more questions, you can PM me. I've lived just outside of Charleston my whole life.
2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Cypress Gardens So. Carolina
Esacnj

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
You have to try a Dog at Cosmic Jacks Best dogs I have ever had. Its just right down the road from the KOA.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you spend any time in Charleston and you are not immune to history, you have to see the CSS Hunley.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I would add Ft Moultrie to the list and lunch at Hymans near the market. A carriage ride is a great way to see the old homes. History abounds.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the Patriots Point and Boone Hall plantation recommendations. Will also recommend Magnolia Plantation and Gardens as well.

Don't forget teh market on "Market Street". There are also ghost tours if you are in that sort of thing. Since you like history, you often get some history out of them.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Dinner at The Plantation Inn. You will not be disappointed.
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a history buff, you'll be in your glory!

We went to Charleston, last June and had a wonderful time. So much to see an do from the USS Yorktown to Ft. Sumpter and the old plantations. The carriage tour around the city was also very interesting and highly recommended. We really didn't eat out much but hit all the recommended sites and enjoyed every one.

Great place to visit!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude