cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ohio Amish Area Campground Suggestions

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
My son and wife and us want to go to the Ohio Amish area for the week of August 16th through 23rd. We both have 36' motor homes. Any recommendations for a campground with full hookups?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
34 REPLIES 34

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
JJnLilly wrote:
And they go to Florida in the winter - but leave the horses behind.

Yep, they take buses to Pinecraft, FL near Sarasota. Some of the men even wear Bermuda shorts in FL :E :R
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
And they go to Florida in the winter - but leave the horses behind.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Don't Amish people pull their campers with horses? I heard that on the internet...

Never seen them pull a camper but I've seen them pull boats many times.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't Amish people pull their campers with horses? I heard that on the internet...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhingst wrote:
Scenic Hills in Berlin is the place we love. We have been there 3 times for a month each time. You can walk easily to Troyer's store in 5 minutes or less and it's only about a mile to downtown Berlin. The owners are very nice and they really take great care of the place. We are ready to go back anytime.

Double ditto. This one is great and they have more space between sites. Don't forget Lehmans nearby. We truly enjoy browsing there and buy an off grid product every time we go. Haven't been able to figure out how to cart home one of their wood cook stoves. Might have to rent a trailer and tow it. :W
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
bhh wrote:
Evergreen, to me, just seemed like a parking lot, which is also what it looked like when we drove by.

It kind of sorta is. It is a newer campground with not a lot of trees. What it lacks in charisma it makes up in amenities such as there pristine bathhouse with heated floors, beautiful indoor heated pool and whirlpool and very nice arcade. This park is so nicely run and so organized I can overlook it's lack of nature.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
Scenic Hills in Berlin is the place we love. We have been there 3 times for a month each time. You can walk easily to Troyer's store in 5 minutes or less and it's only about a mile to downtown Berlin. The owners are very nice and they really take great care of the place. We are ready to go back anytime.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperforlife wrote:
Since this is an older post brought back to life I want to update some info on Whispering Hills. I used to love this place but this summer they became a Jellystone Park. Electric/Water sites are now $55.00 and full hook ups are $65.00. Frankly I am not that tight on what I spend to camp but these rates for this park is just not worth it to me.

Agreed. The only time I pay that kind of rate is in an area that has few other options such as DC/Baltimore.

Magnus

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is an older post brought back to life I want to update some info on Whispering Hills. I used to love this place but this summer they became a Jellystone Park. Electric/Water sites are now $55.00 and full hook ups are $65.00. Frankly I am not that tight on what I spend to camp but these rates for this park is just not worth it to me.

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week at Amish Country Campsites this summer. Most of our days were out "touristing" so we didn't miss a pool, etc. A no-frills campground, full hook-ups and some "tent" sites, quiet, clean, owner on-site, wi-fi, free firewood from the woodshops nearby.

I use Google Earth to scope out potential campgrounds. Evergreen, to me, just seemed like a parking lot, which is also what it looked like when we drove by.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Evergreen numerous times and love it. We have never found an issue with the sites being to narrow to fully extend our awning. We love the park for its indoor pool and hottub area and the shower house may be the nicest anywhere.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

roverdover
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Berlin RV in 2012. Good place if you just need a base camp. It is on a hill side, but gravel pads were fairly level. Sites were wider than many places we have stayed.

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like narrow sites. I have a motor home with two slides and I like my space. I am starting to eliminate Evergreen. I am leaning towards Whispering Hills.
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
They stayed in the ones on the right (as you're pulling in) - don't know how different they are. The site they had was also a pull-through and was plenty long for their large Class A plus toad, but was VERY narrow. The mgmt had tried to make it nicer by adding a line of arborvitae along part of the site but while they added some curb appeal they didn't help make it wider.

As mentioned before, the sites and grounds are beautifully maintained - one of the nicest I've seen. My parents love it. I would probably like it better if there were more mature trees (something that takes time) and if they removed every other site so they weren't so close together.

Different people like different things. If FHU is really important, or the nice pool is really important, and you don't mind small sites it's a good option (or if you haven't ever camped places where a normal site is 60 feet wide and 80 or more feet deep).
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500