cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

outer banks NC

b-dog
Explorer
Explorer
any advise on camping at the outer banks. we are thinking of trying to go there sometime this summer
10 REPLIES 10

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Camp Hatterus, yes it is pricey but still way less than a hotel room. We had a concrete pad right on the dune line. Just a quick flip flop to the ocean. We stayed there as we had our daughter so the amenities were what we were after. I would go there again.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been going down there for decades. Camp Hatteras and the KOA are twice the price as Ocean Waves per night BUT if you have young kids the amenities at C Hatteras and KOA are what they will enjoy more. If you are looking for a quieter experience then O Waves is the place. These three are in Rodanthe and Waves not Avon. In Avon there is a cg called Sands of Time but it is on the sound side. As far as skitters August is the worst month but generally they are not that bad unless the wind really calms down. There is a Food Lion in Avon for supplies. All the pads at O waves are concrete.

Regardless of which one you decide on I would call today and try and get a site. O. Waves will put you on the wait list but I do not know about the others.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
1. Don't arrive or depart on Saturday or Sunday

2. Get your groceries BEFORE you come on the island, the stores are CRAZY as everyone shops all at once

That's what I remember from the beach rentals we used to do before getting our camper.

We have avoided beaches because of sand in the camper.

Another tip: Baby powder on a cloth and rubbed on you after the beach helps remove sand and the stickiness from the salt water.

Looking forward to reading all the tips about the beach :C

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We went during the summer last year. Stayed at Oregon Inlet. Was very windy. We survived the heat, but the wind and skeeters got us. We left after about 4 nights when it felt like our motorhome was being lifted off the ground. We drove from Corolla down to Hatteras and took the Ferry over to Ocracoke. Our favorite places were the northern end (Duck, Nags Head, etc) and Ocracoke Island. If or whenever we go back, Ocracoke will probably be our main destination...

Here are some videos from our trip. Enjoy.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
I hear it's a great place for the "Hurricane Experience". Kinda hard on the RV but you'll be left with plenty of stories of wind, rain, water, and personal reviews of the local emergency rooms.

๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of advice are you looking for? At Ocean Waves now for the month.
www.putt10.net

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Oregon Inlet and Ocracoke national park campgrounds. Locations were amazing. Price was even better. It was September so they weren't crowded. Right over the dunes from the beach. Here are a few blog posts I wrote (with LOTS of photos) from the area:

Toes in the Sand: Oregon Inlet Campground

Ocracoke: My "Crabby" Campground

10 Fun Free Things to do on Ocracoke Island
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed 3 nights at the KOA Hatteras a month ago site #406. Was real quiet since it was offseason.
Site was steps to ocean beach and campground including restrooms were real clean, also nice pool. Location is a good ride south from Kill Devil Hills. Now I know why they call it Outer Banks, because its out there.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We went there last season, had a great time. There is a 1000 Trails c/g if you have a 1000 Trails membership. its about a 1/2 mi. before you get to the KOA, which also seemed nice but the sites were a bit close to each other. A sign of the times !! Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

samsphones
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Hatteras is pricey but nice, you can camp on the sound or ocean side. The koa is also nice never stayed there, Ocean Waves is also nice and cheaper that either of these but also harder to get a spot, you might want to try now. All 3 of these are right together at Avon there are some further down near Cape Hatteras but we never stayed at any except Camp Hatteras. I would go to rvparkreviews.com and check all of them out.