cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PA Advice Needed

MawMaw_and_PawP
Explorer
Explorer
We hope to travel to Lancaster in October. We'd like to make Lancaster our base camp and take day trips from there going to Hershey and Gettysburg. Also to Philadelphia if possible . Are there bus tours we might could use to take us to Philadelphia?
We will be traveling from Birmingham, AL.
Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the Philadelphia area, and when my family wants to do a quick get-away to just relax, we camp in Lancaster. BUT, where we camp in the area depends on several factors. Are there just two of you? Do you want a nice campground, very clean but without a pool, and yet central to the attractions in Lancaster? Then I would say, stay at Beacon Hill or Old Mill Stream. You really can't miss with either of these campgrounds.

I will also agree with previous posters, several campgrounds are shutting down in October, and because it is the end of the season, many campgrounds that are open do get rather full, so make reservations early.

And, do you have a tow? If so, driving to the train and going into Philadelphia is the way to go. Just make sure you know what connections to make. And, know when the last train leaves for the day, so you don't get stuck in the city. I wouldn't want to put you off taking the train and then the subway, but if you aren't public transportation people ( I say this because I'm not) then you have to know what you're doing. To my knowledge, there are no campgrounds very close to Philadelphia.

And, I would say, be aware that it can get cold in Pennsylvania in October. When we camp in October, I bring a heater along.

I would also mention that Lancaster has tons of stuff to do. You could easily spend a week just exploring the Lancaster area.

Best wishes on your vacation.
Kathy

Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled Lancaster extensively. I am not aware of any tour service that will take you from Lancaster to Philly on a tour bus. There is a bus depot in Lancaster plus the railroad. If you don't want to drive to Philadelphia you can certainly take a Greyhound type bus or the train. Philadelphia is about an hour and a half drive from Lancaster and once you get to Philly there are local tour buses there.

At the end of October some of the campgrounds here close so plan your trip early or mid-month. There are many nice campgrounds. We like Old Mill Stream Campground. Nice people running it, spotless bathrooms including family bathrooms with showers, and a central location. They remain open until the end of November.

See my articles here on Lancaster for places to go and things to do -

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/p/places-to-visit.html
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I notice you're from Alabama so I presume you'd be interested in seeing Little Round Top especially since that's where the Bama boys took on Joshua Chamberlain and his Maine Yankees. I've been to G'burg a number of times and suggest you set aside a good deal of time for touring the battlefield and the visitor center. That is if you're as interested as I. Have a safe trip.

MawMaw_and_PawP
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help and suggestions! Looking forward to a great trip. Would never have thought of taking the train into Philadelphia but sounds like a great idea.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Pinch Pond Campground in Manhiem Pa, centrally located in the area you're looking at seeing.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
johnwalkerpa1 wrote:
MawMaw and PawPaw wrote:
We hope to travel to Lancaster in October. We'd like to make Lancaster our base camp and take day trips from there going to Hershey and Gettysburg. Also to Philadelphia if possible . Are there bus tours we might could use to take us to Philadelphia?

October is usually a nice time to be in this area...crisp nights but (usually!) warm days and fewer crowds in the tourist areas. Just a couple of general suggestions...

1. Not sure what you want to see in Hershey but by October, Hersheypark will be on a reduced schedule and won't be open every day. Most of the other Hershey attractions will be open each day, but maybe shorter hours than during the summer..
2. Landis Valley Museum near Lancaster has an number of Harvest activities in the fall and is a nice place to visit anytime.
3. There probably are bus trips to Phila but its very easy to take the train from Lancaster to Phila, then hop the subway for about a 10 min ride and you can be right in the midst of the historical area. Easy day trip.

The train is a great idea. You can ride from Lancaster into 30th Street station, near University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University (my alma mater). You can then ride the Market Street subway into center city. Getting off at 8th and Market puts you right at the Gallery and near many of the historic sites. If you prefer to be taken to each stop in an organized tour, then a bus tour may be a better option.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Bill_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
There are bus tours when you get the Philly. I second the idea to take the train in. Harrisburg has an excellent state museum and also a Civil War Museum.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
MawMaw and PawPaw wrote:

October is usually a nice time to be in this area...crisp nights but (usually!) warm days and fewer crowds in the tourist areas. Just a couple of general suggestions...

1. Not sure what you want to see in Hershey but by October, Hersheypark will be on a reduced schedule and won't be open every day. Most of the other Hershey attractions will be open each day, but maybe shorter hours than during the summer..
2. Landis Valley Museum near Lancaster has an number of Harvest activities in the fall and is a nice place to visit anytime.
3. There probably are bus trips to Phila but its very easy to take the train from Lancaster to Phila, then hop the subway for about a 10 min ride and you can be right in the midst of the historical area. Easy day trip.

Teachjp
Explorer
Explorer
Don't stay at Pequea RV. park. Not close to anything, if you need showers and are staying by the creek you have to drive to get to them and sometimes they don't work. Store is closed during week. Not a good place to stay if you want to see Lancaster PA
JP
John and Cathy
Just outside Philly
03 Trail Lite Bantam 01 Astro
Celebrating 30 years of Rving
Camped in 44 states, most of Western Europe and New Zealand

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Pottsville PA and tour the Yuengling Brewery.
It's America's oldest brewery and an interesting tour.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Oak Creek Campground can't be beat in that area.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend Beacon Hill Campground in Intercourse. check www.rvparkreviews.com I do not know of any bus tours.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad