cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning 2017 trips(Northeast)

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to hear favorite campground suggestions anywhere in NJ,NY,PA,MD. So far on destination list.
Cape May
Assateague
Knoebels
Lake George
Traveling in 30' C with wifey, 14yo boy, 12yo girl.
12 REPLIES 12

firefightersink
Explorer
Explorer
We have only been camping for a few years but some of our favorites are:

Jellystone of PA in Quarryville, PA.
http://jellystonepa.com/
We always get the pull thru sites and have friends stay in cabins near us. The PT sites are all concrete and have sitting walls. They have dual sewer hook ups and 50amp service at these sites. Many things to do (family of five with kids ranging from 9-20). 2 large pools and a kids water play zone.

Splash Magic in Northumberland, PA
http://splashmagic.com/
Spots aren't as big as Jellystone but very nice atmosphere. It has boating activities on the lake and fishing on the Susquehanna River.

Adventure Bound Camping Eagles Peak in Robesonia, PA
http://www.abcamping.com/abeaglespeak/
Very nice campground that just did some upgrades to the water area. New slides and kids play area plus new playgrounds. Pool has a swim up snack stand. Large open field for activities as well as a RC car track. Wooded sites are big enough for a 32'. Great resort.
2015 Ford F250 6.2L with K&N Cold Air Intake and Bama Tune
Reese LLH with sway control
Son named it "The Beast"

2014 Palomino Canyon Cat 27RBH
31' of Pure Family Fun

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
In Pa, Locust Lake, Pine Grove Furnace and Promised Land Pickerel Point Campgrounds. In Maryland,Assateague National Park Bayside campground,Jane's Island State Park and Elk neck State Park.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on Assateague National Seashore. Those ponys are fearless. Don't leave anything edible on the table. Eastern Shore of MD & DE have some good ones especially if you like kayaking. Martinak SP near Denton, MD & Tuckahoe SP nearby are good. Killens Pond S of Dover DE has at the pond & a waterpark.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We camp at Ausable Chasm; lots to see & do,

http://ausablechasm.com

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking for a state park trip, north jersey Swartswood state park $20 per night and clean, warm bathrooms and showers open year round
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What makes for a great campground in your estimation?

Knoebels is great fun and a favorite stop for me, but not specifically because of the campground itself. Their Lake Glory campground is a nicer campground but nowhere near as convenient to the park (occasional shuttle service in a creaky former school bus vs. a few minutes walk). The campground at the park has small sites (some quite small and packed in); in general, the further up the hill you get, the less tightly packed in the sites are.

Letchworth State Park is fantastic. Watkins Glen State Park is also a lot of fun. There are some other very nice looking state parks in that general region of New York.

I just spent Thanksgiving week at Greenbelt National Park in Greenbelt, MD. I guess there may have been one or two other campers in the campground somewhere, as it's a big campground, but I hardly saw another soul. The main attraction there (for me) is that a half hour walk from the D loop gets one to the College Park Metro station and, from there, one can go anywhere in DC...that, and the rate is $16 per night (albeit with no hookups).

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Jersey,

I don't have a crampground suggestion, but I have a date for Assateague Island and Chincoteague. Be there around July 26 (2017) for the pony swim.

I'm sure you will have to locate and reserve a space at any crampground in striking range right about now....

Matt

Been through Chincoteague before during off season, that is always something I wanted to see. Will put on calendar and look up campgrounds.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
For Assateague, we have always stayed at the National Seashore. Camping just over the dune from the ocean or on the bay side. No hookups, but the adjacent State Park has one loop with electric. Check for ticks after any hiking.

The ponies like human food, but aren't tame.

^^^^^Beautiful, but this was the reason we picked up the class C..lol

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for suggestions^^^, will look into these campgrounds.

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
Lake George,NY check out Ledgeview RV Park. Smaller campground. They are building new camp sites to open in 2017. Last time I talked to them it was $58 a night 50 AMP full hook ups. Ledgeview.com. That's a great price in Lake George, NY. Some campgrounds can run you almost $90-$100 a night. If your looking for a place with a great pool check out Moose Hillock campground. Big private sites but will run you about $90 a night. Enjoy Lake George it is beautiful! Take the 2 hour Lunch cruise on the lake. 2 hour cruise includes 3 course meal. It's the biggest ship on the lake. Enjoy!

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
For Cape May we have used Depot Travel park a couple of times. A short bike ride to the beach and in town attractions. As a heads up, they don't accept credit cards.

For Assateague, we have always stayed at the National Seashore. Camping just over the dune from the ocean or on the bay side. No hookups, but the adjacent State Park has one loop with electric. Check for ticks after any hiking.

The ponies like human food, but aren't tame.

For the Lancaster area in PA, we like French Creek State Park. Nice lake with canoe rentals, lots of trails and the largest swimming pool we have ever seen. Campground has some sites with electric plus one loop with FHU. We have only been there in the Fall.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jersey,

I don't have a crampground suggestion, but I have a date for Assateague Island and Chincoteague. Be there around July 26 (2017) for the pony swim.

I'm sure you will have to locate and reserve a space at any crampground in striking range right about now....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.