cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning trip to Northeast

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, we did North Carolina to yellowstone last summer and had an amazing time. We have three kids (10,8,5). Looking to do a Northeast trip this summer.

Obvious places to go:

Niagara Falls
Acadia National Park
Ben and Jerry's Factory

Anywhere else up that way between New York and Maine that we NEED to do or should plan to be a part of the trip? For that matter, anybody stayed anywhere in New England that they loved? I've heard good things about Cape Cod for RV camping.

Thanks in advance!
37 REPLIES 37

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Freedom Trail in Boston. I've been to Ben and Jerry's twice, 18 years apart. If you are going to Stowe anyway, it's worth the stop. I wouldn't drive out of my way.

It's a pretty good haul from Niagara to Boston. We left Niagara Falls and made it to somewhere in Eastern Mass. I remembering researching nice stops in Eastern NY but we didn't have time to stop so I don't remember details. We needed to go to Newport, RI to drop gear off and then headed up to Vermont. We've stayed at the KOA in Queechie Pines twice. It's centrally located for day trips in VT and NH. If you are interested, I can look up the map and tell you which site to book.

Here is a state forest 20 miles north of Boston. It's beautiful country with multiple lakes and lots of hikes. I haven't stayed in the campground but I'll post the link. It may be an option for camping outside the city or it may be a destination on its own. Definetly want to do park and ride into the city. You can walk the Freedom Trail in a day including touring the USS Constitution.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Last year, we did the Freedom Trail in Boston, along with the surrounding history, Lexington/ Concord, then up to Acadia NP, (Awesome), then over to The White Mountain area of NH, where we did the Cog Railway AND the drive up the other side of the mountain. Then Vt. (Ben & Jerry's) then over to Northern NY., which if you go to northern NY, Lake Placid which is the site of the '32 & '80 winter Olympics is a nice stop for a day or two.
If you go during late Sept. to Early Oct. the color will be on the trees.

Yes, I forgot about the Freedom Trail, the whole family will like that and you will end up in North Boston and GREAT Italian food.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last year, we did the Freedom Trail in Boston, along with the surrounding history, Lexington/ Concord, then up to Acadia NP, (Awesome), then over to The White Mountain area of NH, where we did the Cog Railway AND the drive up the other side of the mountain. Then Vt. (Ben & Jerry's) then over to Northern NY., which if you go to northern NY, Lake Placid which is the site of the '32 & '80 winter Olympics is a nice stop for a day or two.
If you go during late Sept. to Early Oct. the color will be on the trees.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this can be a 2-3 week trip. We have to be in Binghampton, NY on July 16th for a family reunion. Still not sure if we'll make that the beginning or end of the trip, but that's the only definite stop. Everything else will have to fall into place.

Thanks so much for all of these recommendations, I have a lot to look at. Sounds like Cape Cod is a definite go!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As 4runnerguy mentioned, Niagara Falls is pretty much as close to midwest as it is to the (northern) east coast. New York is a pretty long state.

My suggestions:
โ€ข Letchworth state park
โ€ข Knoebel's amusement park in Elysburg, PA, if you want an amusement park. There are others that are also goodโ€”Canobie Lake, Lake Compounce, Seabreeze, Kennywood, and HersheyPark are all very nice, if of varying sizes and pricesโ€”but I think Knoebel's is perhaps the best and most affordable for families, and having on-site camping (in what is admittedly an otherwise rather forgettable campground) is fantastic.
โ€ข If you time things right, seeing some of the Little League World Series in person is fun (and free).
โ€ข Mt Washington and the White Mountains in general. Traversing the Kancamagus highway (and stopping at some of the numerous stops) is a lovely way to spend a day.
โ€ข Boston does offer a lot to see and do, but not a lot of camping. The aquarium, science museum, children's museum, and some of the historical sites are all top notch. Mass transit is highly recommended for getting around Boston.
โ€ข The Shelburne Museum in Vermont is quite a unique and fun place.
โ€ข Acadia National Park

If you like hiking, there are a multitude of possibilities, from the long and strenuous (Appalachian Trail and the Long Trail, for example) to brief and easy. Mt Ascutney State Park near Windsor, VT is a nice place for hiking. If you hike from the campground at the base, it's a pretty strenuous 10 mile or so round trip up and down, depending on exactly which trails you use, or there's an auto road that goes nearly to the summit. Around the summit area are several rock ledges with views and a viewing tower which gives a 360ยฐ panorama.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if your kids get on ferries much, but if not, how about a day trip out to Martha's Vineyard? The ferry ride is fun and there are beaches out there.

At Acadia, rent some bikes and ride along the carriage roads. No vehicles allowed, so it's a safe ride and you'll go by various lakes along the way. Just stay on the easier routes for your youngest one. Saw lots of families with kids the age of yours when we rode there.

Niagara Falls is a fair distance from the coast (over 700 miles from Acadia), so you'll also need to plan some stops on the way back home from there. In fact I'd skip Niagara Falls unless you have 3+ weeks for this vacation as it is kind of out of the way for a trip including Maine.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cape Cod, fun place for kids and adults. Lots of beaches. And do not miss one or more Cape League Baseball games - a home team in most of the Cape towns. College athletes play in a summer league -- $2.00, can't beat it.

History: Heritage Plantation in Sandwich, Fort Hill in Eastham, Seashore National Park.

On the way: Old Sturbridge Village off I-90 mid-Massachusetts, Old Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth, and Mayflower Ship in Plymouth ...

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute -- and OceanQuest in Falmouth takes kids on a research vessel out into the ocean and investigates sea critters. Educational, but fun.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing how much time you have to spend makes it hard to spend your time. Coming out of NC to VA, I would pick up 88 out of Binghanton, NY and head east to Cooperstown, NY, then head to the Adirondack's Rt. 12/28 to Old Forge and their water park, then pick up Rt. 30 in Blue Mt., stop at the Blue Mt. Museum, then onto Saranac Lake, next Lake Placid. Then go to Burlington, VT, pick up Rt. 2 and over the White Mountains of NH onto Maine and Bar Harbor/Acadia NP. I am stoping there because for me there is no place like Acadia NP. Have Fun!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
With kids... Mystic Aquarium (the seaport may be boring for kids), New London Sub Museum, Boston Science Museum, Plymouth Harbor/Mayflower II, Boston Aquarium, Faneuil Hall, If you want beaches and such then Cape Cod, Mount Washington (either drive up or take the Cog railway), Kittery, Freeport, Mt Desert Island, Old Orchard Beach, Nubble Light, Cape Elizabeth Light, Gloucester MA. You can keep going all the way to Nova Scotia and points north if you are so inclined. The drive gets boring at times since the ferry shutdown.

You can do a whale watch many places from CT to ME, many leave from Cape Cod.

Depending on your route, Fort Ticonderoga NY, Letchworth State Park. There is a 6 Flags outside Springfield Ma down river from the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Route 1 from Rockland ME to Mt Desert Island is pretty cool, but usually a very slow drive.

And of course there is NYC. which is certainly worth a stop.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Bar Harbor, ME
Cape Cod, MA
White Mountains, NH

These are the areas I would focus on, for a first time trip to New England.

Once you narrow the scope of the trip, then we can offer recommendations on CG's and places to see.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Bar Harbor, ME
Cape Cod, MA
White Mountains, NH

Yup, done all 3. DW's favorites are Cape Cod & Acadia.
Ramblings:
We drove up Mt Washington. It's a narrow 2-lane road and some drivers insist on taking their half out of the middle and there are NO guardrails. Next time we'll do the Cog railway.
Cooperstown - Glimmerglass SP may be an option for you. If you're into it, there's the Ommegang brewery.
Boston - Freedom Trail. We did a duck boat tour and had an awesome guide. Lots of good family-owned Italian resturants in the North End. Don't drive there - we took the rail from Gloucester and hoofed it.
Watkins Glen - very nice gorge walk. Don't go on a race weekend though.
Corning - Museum of Glass
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor, ME
Cape Cod, MA
White Mountains, NH

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to view a trip we took in the Northeast. Maybe you can get some ideas from that. I think the kids would like the Cog Railroad.

If travelling through central Pennsylvania then I would say the kids would enjoy Strasburg Railroad and a visit to Hersey Park.

We enjoyed the northeast trip so much that we are giving serious thought to repeating the trip in 2016.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out the Lancaster PA area.

Amish country lots of good food and beautiful farms. Some of the best areas are around Intercourse Pennsylvania.

We think it is defiantly worth a stop.

We were there a couple years ago with just a rental car we will be going back with the TT soon!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
NoVa RT wrote:
The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY is worth a trip all by itself, and it could fit in with a lot of different itineraries.

We just did this in August sans RV and I'm not sure I would have wanted to tow the TT through some of those tiny local roads. If I were doing this with the RV, I'd be inclined to find a CG in a more populated area and drive the TV to Cooperstown. Outside of that, if you're a baseball fan, it's a must-see at least once. The surrounding village is quaint, and you can also visit Doubleday Field and maybe catch a game.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M