cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please school me on something

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
What do snowbirds do once you get to your winter destinations? I've never spent months at a time on the road or at a specific location in the motorhome.

I've looked at some of the activities offered by some popular destinations, and I can't see that holding my interest beyond a week or two.

Aside from sitting outside and taking advantage of the warm weather, what do you guys/girls do on a daily basis to fill your days?
38 REPLIES 38

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
There are some of us with ADHD. If I have to sit more than 30 minute I am bored to death. At 65 I am still riding dirt bikes (motorized, not pedal powered), SCCA roadracing, 4x4 rock climbing, scuba diving & more. I understand when someone says they can't stay in one spot! Tried golfing but too boring unless someone wanted to race golf carts, LOL! Don't hold much hope that a campground will ever have enough adrenalin activities to satisfy. Future generations want & will want more to keep us in a campground.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are a few of the wood carving peoples work from our park:

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets see! We wintered for 5 years at a park in the East Valley(Phoenix) that has a paved oval RC race track and a group of guys meet most afternoons to race our trucks. I took up RC airplanes, built a house the first year with H for H working Thursdays, after that I was a monitor in the work shop one morning a week. I go jeeping with a friend. Danced a lot, tooth up pickleball, golfed once or twice a week. Park has parties once of twice a week, and it usually includes music to dance to. We have a whole weeks activities and parade for breast cancel fund raiser. Veterans Day parade. Do projects on the trailer.

Here is a little example. I made this valance to cover a shade we put on the entry door, matched it to the face of the main slide. Each little rounded edge board is a separate piece that I glued up to make it look like the factory woodwork, as I had no way to mill a board the way the factory did.

Matched to this pattern.

So if one is bored as a snowbirder they most likely would be bored sitting at home, however you might as well be bored in warm winter. We are home for two winters while I finish going through the yacht club chairs and we really miss our snowbird lifestyle.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
I had no idea geocaching was a competative sport. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Planting caches sounds like even more fun than finding them. Every time we go out, I find places I think would be fun to hide one.

Unfortunately to put one out, you have to be able to monitor it and repair it/replace it if things happen.

We do put out travel bugs with a destination and then follow them as the move around the country.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I like to sightsee, other than that I really don't want to do anything else except 4 wheel so when we are in other places that don't have that available it is not much to do except for the sightseeing. Don't want to take part in the park activities.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I had no idea geocaching was a competative sport. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Planting caches sounds like even more fun than finding them. Every time we go out, I find places I think would be fun to hide one.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

tothetrail
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Geocaching is on our list of things to try.

Geocaching is a lot of fun, and very addictive. Once you get into it and get the updates of a "new cache" in your area, and actually leave your house (or RV) in the pre dawn hours to be the "First to Find" the new cache, you know you are addicted!

If you live in a geocache dense enough of an area, or if you are on the move a lot, you can try to reach a goal of one each day for a successive number of days, or one per week, for a whole year. It is really a great hobby. You learn about all the cool hikes and views and really get your wheels turning on some of the more urban hides. The ones out on trails are usually relatively easy to find, but the ones that are in town can be very tricky, but still a load of fun.
2003 Foretravel U295
Jennifer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Why do some people go on cruises,

that seems to me to be the most dreadful vacation ever. stuck on a boat. another one just returned with 300 sick people. don't even have a wal mart to go to .
bumpy

According to the local news it is 600 sick......ain't enough toilets to handle that much activity.

Add to that ANOTHER boat just pulled in last night with hundreds of sick people throwing up and diarrhea with the same virus as the first one.

The CDC said it's the violent projectile type from both ends.

Yup a cruise would be the LAST thing I would want to ever take for a vacation. I think this last boat coming in with sick people just might make a dent in the vacation cruise business.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I never have understood people that need to be entertained or kept busy with activities. I find so many things to do there is never enough time. Some housework type things and the rest all pleasure. Relax and smell the roses and do what you want, when you want, if you want.

X2

A little maintenance, a few mods sometimes.
We have several bands where we stay so a lot of my time is spent a pickin' and a grinnin'. :B
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Bethany_Carolin
Explorer
Explorer
What do we do?
We're staying @ a 55+ RV community that offers activities from 8:30a to about 9:30p, Mon-Fri. Saturday nights are dance night. Every other Sunday evening is a cake social & entertainment for 3$. I've gone to the local library & got a library card--books & movies. We've gone to local attractions, esp museums. Every week we have to fit in groceries & laundrymat. We go to other parks garage sales. Our park has a jam session of country music every week. Last week we visited another parks music. There's an exercise room, pool, ping pong, & 2 tables set up with puzzles in the hall. We have a pool & hot tub. I've joined horsecollar shuffleboard. Hubby has joined euchre club. We ride our bikes daily.
In other words--you can be as busy as you want. And decide how much $$ you want to spend.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Enjoy the weather, and try to save up some money while you're at it.
If you don't need to save some money, you've got it made,....don't worry about it.
If all else fails, find you a friend of the opposite sex (this will take up most of your time).
Good Luck
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

nelson
Explorer
Explorer
Beack, Kayak, Bikes, Walkes, Pool, Explore, Sight See, Fle Market, and relax when you get time
2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
The_Painting_Teacher wrote:
Two days a week with Habitat for Humanity give a week some structure and reduce the "What am I going to do today" to five days a week. Good bunch of regulars, doing something worthwhile, no experience necessary, some laughs, and having a good time playing a carpenter (or a painter or a landscaper or a house cleaner). Camp on!

I REALLY like that idea. Thank you!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I are avid kayakers and canoers.
We winter in the Florida Keys and south Florida and paddle every single day that the weather permits.
We have been to and explored every off shore Key that we can get to and back in a day and others where we have to camp overnight before returning.
We have also explored the Everglades as well as the many spring runs and rivers that are in Florida.
We have a Google web site with over one hundred and fifty trips that we have documented with way points and descriptions that we share with other paddlers.
I don't think we have ever gone out with out some interesting wildlife or undersea sighting happening.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci