cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

recommendations for rv campgrounds yellowstone / teton

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning our 1st trip to Wyoming and Montana in August with our 30' travel trailer. 1st stop for about 10 days in the Yellowstone / Teton area and then a couple weeks in the Glacier National park area. We looking for recommendations for camp grounds in the Yellowstone / Teton area. Would want water and 30 amps electrical. Thanks for any thoughts.
23 REPLIES 23

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Last night read on YNP site, 3 hour drive West Yellowstone to Lamar Valley which is the best wildife area. Six hours of the day just to get there and back doesn't sound good to me.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Grizzly RV in W. Yellowstone doesn't allow campfires either and you need to stow your grill/coolers - just like Fishing Bridge in the park.

Actually the Town of West Yellowstone doesn't allow campfires.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
In 2015 we did 7 days in Yellowstone(fishing Bridge) and 2 days in Tetons(Flag Ranch), both were full hookups. Loved both.

If I had 10 days again I would do, 3 days in the Tetons(Gros Vente), 4 days(Fishing Bridge) and 3 days(Grizzly West Yellowstone).

• Gross Vente: Location to Jackson, Tetons and appears to be a lovely csmpground
  • Fishing Bridge: Location, Location, Location and in the morning til 9:30 am you are pretty much alone
  • Grizzly: One again location and appears to be a nice campground.

Just my thoughts,

Dean

* Feel free to contact me
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Grizzly RV in W. Yellowstone doesn't allow campfires either and you need to stow your grill/coolers - just like Fishing Bridge in the park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We're headed to Yellowstone at the end of May, after researching long and hard, we decided on Colter Bay and Madison for inside the park. Fishing Bridge does not allow camp fires, all the other campgrounds inside the park do. From what it sounds like we will be too tired for a fire at night, fine with us.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Braces wrote:
What is there to do in Glacier for 2 weeks unless you are a very hard core hiker? I would think more time at YNP and GT

Agreed. In the park itself are some strenuous hikes but the easier ones won't keep you busy for 2 weeks.

X2 or is it X3?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Braces wrote:
What is there to do in Glacier for 2 weeks unless you are a very hard core hiker? I would think more time at YNP and GT

Agreed. In the park itself are some strenuous hikes but the easier ones won't keep you busy for 2 weeks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Braces
Explorer
Explorer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
Lots of people say traveling back and forth to west Yellowstone is wasted. But I have gotten some of my best pictures on that trip. Bald eagles and bison and grizzlys all driving in or out of the park. The river runs right next to the road so you have loads of wildlife around.

NOT wasted time, stay in the town of West Yellowstone at Grizzly, you will NOT be disappointed.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of people say traveling back and forth to west Yellowstone is wasted. But I have gotten some of my best pictures on that trip. Bald eagles and bison and grizzlys all driving in or out of the park. The river runs right next to the road so you have loads of wildlife around.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Grizzly and Coulter.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
In 2015, we camped 4 days in Gardiner while we explored the upper loop of Yellowstone, then 4 days in West Yellowstone while we explored the southern loop. We then spent 4 days in Colter Bay RV to see the Grand Teton area before heading home. If at all possible, stop by Cody, Wyoming (east of Yellowstone) and visit the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum---worth the visit. Have a great trip.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you know this, but the Tetons are in the path of the Aug 21 eclipse, so things will be extra crowded at that time.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in mid May and stayed at Madison Campground. We chose that because it was centrally located. The park is as big as the state of Rhode Island so you will do a lot of driving.It is about 16 miles from West Yellowstone to Madison, then about another 18 miles to Old Faithful. From Old Faithful to Mammoth Hot Springs is about 59 miles.Plus, there is lot to see in between.Look at one of the NPS maps and the distances between different areas of the park and you will see what I mean. Plus, depending on when you go you will have to put up with buffalo or bear jams which will slow you down. We stayed in the park for 4 days. We should have had at least 2 more.You have a fully self contained camper. Why not split it up by staying a few days in a non hookup campground in the park, then move to Fishing Bridge where they have hookups and then spend the last 2 days at Mammoth Hot Springs? At Mammoth, you are about 6 miles south of Gardiner,MT which has a grocery store,gas and nice restaurants.They also have gas and restaurants throughout the park. We really enjoyed the Inn at Old Faithful. Good food and reasonable prices.Even though most campgrounds don't have hookups, many like Madison allow generator use.We would run ours for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening to charge batteries,use the microwave or my wife's beloved curling iron. Each visitor center is different so make sure you stop at each one. We were lucky to see a mother grizzly and 3 cubs on our way from Norris to Canyon.The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is beautiful.The lower falls is really picturesque.Prepare yourself by checking out all you can online ahead of time or get books on the park so you can decide ahead of time what you want to see. And they have books in the park too. One I bought and really enjoyed was " Death in Yellowstone".It tells about all the people who died in Yellowstone since it's inception. Some died from disease, some froze to death, some were murdered and one couple drove over the cliff at the Grand Canyon! Maybe a little too macabre for some but I just want to know as much as I can about the places we visit.I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. It was our favorite trip ever.