cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reserve America $59.95 charge

jimbowilly
Explorer
Explorer
I was perusing my credit card charges yesterday when I notice a $59.95 charge from ACT. I didn't know what this was so I did a bit of research.

It turns out it is a charge for an Active Advantage membership that I inadvertently signed up for when making a reservation in April through Reserve America.

I called and they removed the charge. Apparently I failed to uncheck a box that signed me up for it. I got one free month (which I didn't realize I had) then the $59.95 charge kicked in. This is a new thing they do I was told.

This is kind of a BS tactic if you ask me, but if you have made campground reservations recently through Reserve America, please keep a close eye on your credit card bill.

(I apologize if this has been covered in another thread but I didn't see anything)
20 REPLIES 20

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through the process for a NC State Park and did not have anything like what others mentioned. For those that are getting the thing on theirs, are you being charged a reservation fee? We get charged $6 per reservation. Maybe that is a way for them to recoup costs? Maybe they have an agreement with certain states to do that or something. Just throwing out ideas.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
Must be in certain states only. I use RA all the time for Oregon State parks. Just ran a test and there is no sign of this on their Oregon parks sites.

3dpete
Explorer
Explorer
I got the same charge though it is now $64.95. Turns out these crooks(ACT Active advantage) are the company that writes the software (Reserve America) for the state parks (and other similar online reservation sites.) They stick a link in the middle of the reservation page that says "Receive $10 off this reservation today, join active advantage" It looks like the link leads to more info about the discount but by clicking it you have just purchased the service!!!!!! There is no explanation for what it is even about! You have no idea you just bought into it unless you happen to notice the charge on your credit card 2 months later. I dont even remember clicking the link, I would never be interested in any of their services. Apparently they have slammed many people who registered for marathons with the same BS charges.
This is clearly deception and fraud and its being funded by taxpayer money. These scammers are manipulating a government funded website and ripping off unsuspecting campers.
I called Reserve America, they admitted there was a problem and were "looking into it" didnt sound like there was much effort there. I contacted State Parks and have not gotten an answer..... are they all in on it?
If you see this link while making reservations, please call the CA State Parks and demand they use a different vendor now.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just went through the reservation process for a campground in SC and there is no option for opting in or out of anything extra. Since the reservation charge process is different for each state, I wonder if it is an option for the particular state of your reservation.

I will continue to use them when I have to and be careful on all check boxes and text as always.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem with either one of them and I reserve in Washington and Oregon all the time.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
recreation.gov and reserveamerica.com IS the same company just a different website for each. they will refer you to one or the other depending on what type of reservation you are making. federal, state, private, etc.

Billieg2
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
And you check all the boxes and admitted it was your fault. Why do I need a heads up - used RA numerious times with excellent results.

So maybe others can be aware of this? :R
In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
And you check all the boxes and admitted it was your fault. Why do I need a heads up - used RA numerious times with excellent results.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
I use reserveamerica all the time. thanks for the heads up because I will be reading way more careful on my next booking.

x2
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
That is exactly why I use shop safe. Once I use a credit card number on an item it goes tilt and the number is dead. I guess after a while they will figure it out. These are the kind of companies we refer to as honest crooks.
X2

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use reserveamerica all the time. thanks for the heads up because I will be reading way more careful on my next booking.

jimbowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
I just called Active Advantage at 1-866-561-0647 to make sure that this wasn't done to me. I was told that you have to check the box on the reservation screen and then you are taken to another screen describing Active Advantage. You have to check another box there before you are signed up. Sometimes these things are deceptive and easy to get mixed up, and I know that I don't want to get taken for something I had no desire to sign up for. I'm giving the number so people can call up for themselves if they want to.

Miles

The number on my credit card bill was 877-228-4881. It must go directly to their billing department.

They must have changed the way it works because there is NO WAY the site gave me that many options to opt out.

On the number above at some point the recording even says "for charges labeled ACT or Active on your bank statement please press 3", so they must be getting inundated with calls for this.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I just called Active Advantage at 1-866-561-0647 to make sure that this wasn't done to me. I was told that you have to check the box on the reservation screen and then you are taken to another screen describing Active Advantage. You have to check another box there before you are signed up. Sometimes these things are deceptive and easy to get mixed up, and I know that I don't want to get taken for something I had no desire to sign up for. I'm giving the number so people can call up for themselves if they want to.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

tspecs
Explorer
Explorer
Since we use COE, National parks, and National Forest parks, I just use Recreation.gov. I only barely realized that Reserve America is not the same thing. I see that many state parks use Reserve America, so I appreciate the heads up.
tspecs