cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rifle Gap State Park, CO

berreez
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone been to this state park? Was thinking on making a trip next summer and was wondering what the roads are like. I read somewhere they are twisty and narrow. Area looks great and the little town of Rifle looks interesting.

Probably going to be driving a 35' gasser class A with a toad.
8 REPLIES 8

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice park and the roads are not too bad See it Easy to navigate around. My only gripe is the office staff is a bit bureaucratic.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Getting into Rifle Gap is no issue. But, the CG's there have precious little shade and sit out in the open. Quite warm in the summer and definitely no fun if the wind is blowing. If it were me, I'd head a little further up the canyon to Rifle Falls SP. Sure, only 30 amp service and no other hookups, but much more shade and probably 10 degrees cooler up there in the afternoon. Big rigs go up there all the time. Check out these camp site photos to see how nice and how large some of the sites are.

Now I may be bit biased and Rifle is a nice enough town, but the happening place is a bit up the road at Glenwood Springs! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there back in 2011 in our current coach and enjoyed it greatly. We were in the Lakeview Campground which is full hookup 50 amps and very nice. Some pictures are on our Blog.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The road and park are just fine for any size RV. We stayed there with our 40' motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Had no problems with the road. We stayed at Rifle Falls State Park and loved it. However it only has electric at sites and no showers, flush toilets or dump. From what we saw from the road we would still prefer to stay at Rifle Falls Park over Rifle State Park. PM me if you want link to pictures
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
While in area take a short road trip (2 1/2 hrs. one way) in the toad up to Dinosaur National Monument just north of Jensen UT

Well worth the trip.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed there. There are (2) camps, one @ a lake and another close to Rifle Falls. Road is OK but you cannot drive 70 mph on it as it is twisty and in spots narrow. They drive school buses up it so be ware of their stops. My suggestion is spend at least one night @ the lake and drive the toed up to the other one and decide if you want to relocate. Nice area, we usually stop there on first day out and last day headed home.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
It's a nice park, but can get a little hot in the summer. I don't recall the roads being any concern - I live about 25 miles away, but I don't have a big rig. Call the park - they can tell you the scoop on that size RV.