cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park, Crystal River FL

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Continuing on our first year snowbirding.

We had a hard date to be in the area of The Villages the week of Jan 13-20 to catch up with relatives visiting the area. That left 9 days between Bradenton and Southern Oaks in Summerfield FL (where we are now) to fill in. We wanted to find a spot in the Ft. Myers area, but everything was booked or over-the-top expensive. I'm sorry, if I'm paying more than $100 a night to stay somewhere, housekeeping better be changing the sheets every morning. So we did plan B and headed in the other direction where there seemed to be more open sites at reasonable rates. We came across Rock Crushed Canyon and booked it for the 9 day stay.

This CG just went over to being a Sun Resorts park. I've never stayed at one so I have no basis for comparison. The park was well maintained and clean. Full hookups (50 amp ONLY - bring your dog bone), cable and decent free WiFi. The people who go there every year (mostly from Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio) are waiting the the shoes to drop after the Sun takeover. The were a number of sites that had several temporary out buildings, and the feeling was that the new management would be cracking down on them, as well as allowing more park models and charging seasonal residents for electricity. I mention all this because although I found the park to be very nice, peaceful and reasonably priced, that may all change before you get to stay there.

There are plenty of stores nearby. There are quite a few RV parts stores in the area and Citrus Mobile RV Repair makes house calls. Enterprise in Crystal River picks up at the park. I can recommend Charlie's Fish House restaurant for a good meal, 2 for 1 drinks during happy hour, and fresh local seafood.

We explored the area by car and I also hit the local airport to check out on renting a plane. I got the checkout done, but the day I reserved the plane to rent was lousy weather so I didn't get to see the area from the air. Be aware that the traffic pattern for the airport is over the campground when the wind is westerly. There's an active flight school there so it does get busy.

It was a pleasant visit and I really liked the laid back feeling of this part of Florida known as the Nature Coast.

Oh, and I won $4 on the Powerball ticket I bought at the BP station up the street - the first time I've ever won something from the lottery.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
13 REPLIES 13

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
We're also here at Rock Crusher for 3 months. Our third time now. I believe the ownership that fell apart was Elite Resorts not Encore. The main park road on my gps is labeled Elite Resorts Road.

Mark

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We are at Rock Crusher also. It's our 4th winter of staying here and our longest reservation at 3 months. There are rumors, but based upon some research I did before coming down in 2013 other FL parks Sun has purchased since then it seems as though the monthly prices have pretty much followed what we've paid here at RC, going from $650 to $695/month. I guess we'll see what happens when we try to renew for next winter.

We like to eat at Cracker's and you're right, get there around 4 or so or plan to wait. The Freezer is fun for shrimp, chowder, crabs, and beer. The park has a very friendly atmosphere. I play golf with the guys once a week at the Plantation and toss horseshoes twice a week. We get together with a group in the upper deck on Thursdays for snacks, sometimes real food, a fire, and your BYO. We may reserve for a longer period next winter barring any huge changes.

It may be a bit too chilly in this area for some sun seekers, but that's probably why there are so many folks from the Great Lakes and Canada here. Not much in the way of beaches in this area, but if you like to fish, kayak, bike, and deal with a lot less traffic than down south you'll like this park.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at RC for the winter and there are more rumors floating around than can be believed about the Sun takeover. They have made some improvements so far and I've found nothing negative so far. I've been here through the original owner, the Encore move, the take back and now Sun. This is one of the friendliest parks I've ever stayed in so I'll just enjoy my winter and not worry about what might be.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Next time you go find Ozello and eat at Pecks Restaurant. Fried platter.

Yum yum, so right..also check out the Freezer in old Homosassa.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next time you go find Ozello and eat at Pecks Restaurant. Fried platter.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
This was at one time a private park and was sold to Encore resorts. If I recall correctly that fell apart and the original owners again took over.

Back in " the day" they hosted big name country music concerts. Swimming in the lake, climbing the rocks and high diving / jumping was great fun !

Yea, and if you go back longer than that....early 70's it was quite the party hangout. Hmmmm...from what I remember!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
This was at one time a private park and was sold to Encore resorts. If I recall correctly that fell apart and the original owners again took over.

Back in " the day" they hosted big name country music concerts. Swimming in the lake, climbing the rocks and high diving / jumping was great fun !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

quiltlady
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Rock Crusher a couple of weeks ago and also had a pleasant visit. We were happy to see that it was a large campground rather than a mobile home park with just a few sites for motorhomes. The sites were spaced far enough apart to not feel crowded. Good place to stay. We also ate at Crackers which was very good and very large portions. Don't go to eat at 6PM. Those restaurants are packed with a 1.5 hr wait. Go early.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
We like Rock Crusher as well. Tried to get in there this weekend, as a matter of fact... No luck. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
We've stay in the Crystal River area the last 13 winters but at another RV park.

I like Rock Crusher. I would stay there. I think one of the previous owners tried to sell lots there a few years ago. I do find the park a little "buggy" for us.

I guess it depends on when you were there - we had no problems with bugs at all, but heard other parks in the area were bad.

I think when we were there, they were trying to sell lots. The site we had was beautiful and had a fancy interlock driveway and parking pad - other lots did not have that. I think our lot was a "model" at one time.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
We've stay in the Crystal River area the last 13 winters but at another RV park.

I like Rock Crusher. I would stay there. I think one of the previous owners tried to sell lots there a few years ago. I do find the park a little "buggy" for us.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Rock Crusher Canyon and also enjoyed it. We have stayed at a Sun RV Resort in Texas and that worked out very well too. Hopefully someone will keep us up to date on changes at Rock Crusher Canyon. I was surprised to read a while back that it had been sold to Sun Corporation. I bet it will become a mobile home area like a lot of their other properties with some RV sites where possible.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that you have enjoyed Rock Crusher. My sis in law and family live on Avocado Drive directly across from there. We have a home in Weeki Wachee and travel a lot in our DP. The area is a great place to see the manatee's and lots of good seafood in the area! Enjoy!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992