cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Terlinqua TX

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A new show on NatGeo channel called Badlands, TX has caught my eye.
The "village" of Terlinqua seems several steps down from the Slabs, what could be better for hiding out?
I want to go, DW says NFW haha.
Puma 30RKSS
14 REPLIES 14

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:
I believe they also have World class chili cook-offs there every year also

Yep. Napalm seems to be the most used ingredient.
I need some wild

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Since Glenn's death, La Kiva has been totally rebuilt by the new owner but still retains much of the original's quirky charm. The kettle urinal in the men's room is gone but the penisaurus skeleton survived. Their restaurant hadn't yet opened when we were there in October so check it out on your visit and post back with a review.

Terlingua is much more than what's portrayed in Badlands. The Starlight Theater has unexpectedly good food and the entertainment improves in direct proportion to the number of margaritas consumed. Their cemetery is well worth a walk through. After a visit, buy one of the locals a beer and ask about Gonzo or the Burro Lady.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mistakenly thought that LaKiva was the whole town, hence my reference to the Slabs.
Thanks for the heads up, we're certainly going now.
Puma 30RKSS

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer
Terlinqua is nothing like the Slabs. They actually have a school, a bank, post office, several restaurants, gas stations, campgrounds, a liquor store, auto repair place, hotels, EMT's, law enforcement, etc. Almost everything any small town has.

Yes, it is isolated, but the majority of the visitors come for the isolation, hiking, mountain biking, horseback rides, rafting on the Rio Grande, in addition to visiting the Big Bend NP and the Big Bend Ranch state park. Both parks are fabulous for birding and star gazing.

Your DW will be missing a lot if she refuses to go.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Think of it as the desert version of Key West!
Currently Between RVs

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Terlingua has sure grown since we were there in '74; enjoyed it again in 2014.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The main businesses are a restaurant and gas station with a large campground next door. We dry camped at Terlingua ranch for $10.00 a night ($5 per person). It's wild out there with javelina coming through at night along with what seemed to be mountain lions.

Terlingua ranch was developed back in Carrol Shelby's day with some of his business buddies. It was about 16 miles from the highway back into the ranch with about 6 of that being dirt. The ranch is 37 miles from Terlingua. From the ranch to an actual grocery store was about 80 miles so this wasn't the type of place the DW was interested in.

You can get 10 acres for a couple grand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is the beer drinking goat still there? I remember a few years ago some gentlemen were drinking and neutered him however.
bumpy

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
I believe they also have World class chili cook-offs there every year also

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
dahkota wrote:
We've been to Terlingua. Its a lovely little town with restaurants and everything. Not sure what you mean by "steps down from the slabs." Its in a beautiful area of the country - the landscapes there are outstanding. We plan on going back for longer next year. Its definitely worth a visit. DW is missing out.

Terlingua is just outside Big Bend NP and there are quite a few winter RVers that stay down there during the winter. I would not describe Terlingua itself as "lovely" but it certainly has a character all its own. They have a famous chili cookoff every year that draws big crowds. The town, what there is of it, is intensely tourist oriented. There is one small size general store and maybe two gas stations (not counting the one in BBNP).

There is plenty to do in Big Bend and in the state park Big Bend Ranch.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
We loved Terlingua. There's a good restaurant that has a great open mike night.

I think you may be speaking of La Kiva? The NatGeo show the op refers to covers the murder of the La Kiva owner. Interesting show, lovely area.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We loved Terlingua. There's a good restaurant that has a great open mike night.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Explorer II
Explorer II
The Slabs? Seriously? Does the Slabs have B&B's?
Terlingua has a yester-year, Old Mexico lost in time feel but nothing like The Slabs?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Terlingua. Its a lovely little town with restaurants and everything. Not sure what you mean by "steps down from the slabs." Its in a beautiful area of the country - the landscapes there are outstanding. We plan on going back for longer next year. Its definitely worth a visit. DW is missing out.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road