cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV A/C in Arizona summer heat?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We may be moving to Wickenburg, AZ this summer. It is a bit cooler than Phoenix but still scorching for a Colorado boy. At some point us and the cats and dogs will have to try to survive for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks in the summer heat.

Our 2016 Journey has three A/C units. We've been out in it upper 80s and low 90s and have been very comfortable. What temp can we expect to see the bus cool down to when the temps reach 110?

Not really looking forward to your answers, because I think I know the answer.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
20 REPLIES 20

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m in phoenix as we speak and the temps are finally in the 70s. I have two a/c units and the one over the main living space ran nearly all day yesterday and it was losing ground. Itโ€™s not so much the ambient air temp as it is the intensity of the sun beating down on the MH. Itโ€™s quite impressive.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent this past summer in N Mex at 4,200 ft with many days 100+ but high only to 108. The A/C ran day and night, sometimes shutting off for a period of time during the night. Make sure you pull shades, curtains including over the door to block any sun you can from coming inside. The silver windshield type things in the windows will work better. Try to park with some shade. The sun in 1 summer bubbled the clearcoat on the front bumper of our rv. It is hot, hot, hot! It will get way to hot inside to leave your pets without the A/C set to run.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When we camp in hot temps the bedroom AC sounds like an aircraft engine while trying to fall a sleep. We use the bedroom fan right up until we crawl in bed and then switch to a free standing oscillating fan to move air while we sleep.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That would be tough to do......A/C capability IS at best 20*F differential measured at Return (inlet to Evap Coil) and Discharge (outlet side of Evap Coil)
Put your hand on any a/c and feel it. It's pretty cold. If your trailer was 90ยฐ and your air was blowing 70ยฐ at best it would take forever to cool down.

I've measured my air temps, so I know I have a magic a/c.

Recalling my university studies, it was not recommended to have a high differential between ambient temperature and the A/C discharge temp as it creates drafts and complaints from room occupants, that recommendation was proven correct in my dealings with people in offices etc.

Not sure if the RV A/C manufacturers followed the rule, but I suspect they did. Quantity of air flow is the more critical component to good cooling at a reasonable temp differential.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that you need to do is maintain the fan at full speed and regulate the thermostat, we learnt that one night when wife asked if we could reduce the fan noise, I turned the fan speed down and went to bed.

Arround 03:30 the A/C shut down, outside temp was 92, I took the filter cover off on the Dometic and discovered that the evaporator was frozen, fast thinking used wifes hair dryer since it was a very thin accumulation of ice on the fins to melt the ice, checked brakers and all was O.K. turned A/C back on and from then on regulated temperature only and maintained the fan on full speed, talking to other guests they confirmed the fact that A/C units do freeze up when the monsoon hits in Arizona.

Depending on the temperature you might have to run the A/C at night also, another thing that we have done is use the cloth that the greenhouse growers use, sold at Home Despot at the gardening shop to cover the rear window, the ladder sits there and helps as a tie down, also try to shield the refrigerator from direct sun, and if posible install a small computer type fan, we have one that runs on 110 Vac, one runs on 12 V dc and one that is solar powered, place the fan at the top it is better that down near the heater, I turn the fans on depending on what we need and where we are, this keeps the refigerator at a beter temperature than the house unit.

navegator

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That would be tough to do......A/C capability IS at best 20*F differential measured at Return (inlet to Evap Coil) and Discharge (outlet side of Evap Coil)
Put your hand on any a/c and feel it. It's pretty cold. If your trailer was 90ยฐ and your air was blowing 70ยฐ at best it would take forever to cool down.

:S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
18*F-20*F differential between RETURN air and DISCHARGE air temps is what the A/C Unit should be capable of achieving
Mine does much better than that.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
Only for a couple weeks?
What time of summer?
It's not always 110* in AZ.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all folks. Good tips. Think us and the critters will be ok. Totally understand about keeping it cool rather than try to play catch up. Not worried about the electricity bill for a few weeks. We'll get closed and moved in and then head back north until fall.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Most depends on the quality of your insulation. Do you have dual pane windows? The 3 a/c on my trailer, with crappy insulation, barely keeps us comfortable in triple digits. Hopefully your coach is better.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing to NEVER do is turn the A/C off even if you're not there. If you let your rig swelter in the Az sun all day, even 3 A/C units won't cool it off. Ask me how I know. :E.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
We may be moving to Wickenburg, AZ this summer. It is a bit cooler than Phoenix but still scorching for a Colorado boy. At some point us and the cats and dogs will have to try to survive for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks in the summer heat.

Our 2016 Journey has three A/C units. We've been out in it upper 80s and low 90s and have been very comfortable. What temp can we expect to see the bus cool down to when the temps reach 110?

Not really looking forward to your answers, because I think I know the answer.

It is like when you grill and leave a little meat on the grill and forget it for a hour.
Remember it is a dry heat, that's why you will look like dryed beef in a few days.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happytraveler wrote:
You should consider Temperature Alert for your pets or perhaps you all ready have one. If we have to turn on the air conditioner I definitely have our alert system on. Video, Marcell RV Monitoring System

I second this thought. I had a different monitor for the "kids" before but now I also highly recommend "Marcell"....generally better pricing from the manufacturer itself(FYI).
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)