cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Staying Outside Yellowstone?

SDRS
Explorer
Explorer
So, we've last minute change of plans and I'm trying to plan a trip to Yellowstone in July. I can get a night here and there IN the park.

Is it worth even going if we have to mostly stay somewhere outside of the park? If so, recommendations for places outside the park?

I KNOW it's advisable to book very very early, I KNOW it's better to stay in the park. But a major surgery is changing our plans.
29 REPLIES 29

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Jayhawks wrote:
Dance Chick wrote:
Realized a long time ago that we like internet, our TV, and all hook-ups, so staying in either Yellowstone or Grand Teton was not an option. We would be miserable. We've stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone twice and loved it. You need to consider what type of RVer you are.

Not ashamed to admit we are the same way. I take quite a beating from my friends that say what we do isn't even camping. Different strokes.

I am the same way. However 1 trip a year for a few days I can skip the cable and spotty cell reception. I'll gladly give that to get less travel time to and from places in Yellowstone.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Dance Chick wrote:
Realized a long time ago that we like internet, our TV, and all hook-ups, so staying in either Yellowstone or Grand Teton was not an option. We would be miserable. We've stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone twice and loved it. You need to consider what type of RVer you are.

Not ashamed to admit we are the same way. I take quite a beating from my friends that say what we do isn't even camping. Different strokes.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a trip to Colter Bay campground for fishing Jackson Lake and took one day and went to Yellowstone. Took off about 8:00 that morning and went to Bridge Bay and looked at the bay and talked to a great couple in the convenience store, to Fishing Bridge to see if the otters were there yet, drove up to Canyon and took some pictures of the falls with the hundreds of other folks there and then went to the village for a hot dog lunch. Then, over Dunraven Pass to Tower Junction over to Lamar Valley, saw some beautiful Mountain Sheep rams and a ewe, a black bear climbing a tree and too many Bison to count. Then back around to Mammoth and down to Norris Junction past Old Faithful and a stop for ice cream at Grant Village. Got back to the campground around 7:30 or so and had a late dinner. We didn't get out and see all the features and we don't hike much at all. So, this was mostly a drive and see trip but it can be done. We also went to Leek's Pizza on Jackson Lake with some really great pizza and good beer, sitting outside on the deck overlooking Jackson Lake and the Tetons. We have done this trip a number of times, usually not quite as long and we do stop at the features most of the time. Besides, with the trip from Colter Bay, you have numerous opportunities to see wildlife on the way there and back.
John A. Lichty

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Jerseydevil wrote:
We tackled Yellowstone from south and west entries. Coming up from Jackson we stayed in cabins at Headwaters Flagg ranch 3 nights, then 2 nights in West Yellowstones Hibernation station. Headwaters had RV hook ups, Grizzly RV Park was right next to us. Either location is close to an 1hr to Old Faithful. Yellowstone is huge. Enjoy.

Do not stay at Headwaters in an RV! Been there done that. Go to Grizzly RV Park.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second Bakers Hole. Also, Valley View RV Park, in Island Park, ID. across Targhee Pass, 13 miles to the west gate. Not a resort but huge sites and excellent rates. If the folks would get out of the pancake house in West Yellowstone, they wouldn't have trouble with a back up at the gate. You snooze, you lose!

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Keep looking each day for sites as people do cancel. There are some first come first serve campgrounds in the park; you might have to stay outside the first night and then go very early to secure one of those. We have always been lucky to get the reservations we wanted so someone else might have tips about the no reservation campgrounds. I do know that on the Yellowstone page on nps.gov, it shows the time of day these campgrounds fill.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I went to Yellowstone I went to see Yellowstone Park. not a 30/45 minute commute every day down the same highway to even get to the Park. I could see a first night stay at WY but then move on into the park where I can smell the sulfur pots and see the wildlife. At WY do you have deer /bear/etc. walking thru the park?
bumpy

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

wyocowboy00
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just another idea, but there is the Coulter Bay Campground in Grand Teton National Park. They usually don't fill up very early. It is probably about the same distance (South) of Yellowstone as West Yellowstone is. A pass into Yellowstone is good for Grand Teton too.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Personally don't like dealing with the lines coming in from West every day. One buffalo jam and there goes your morning. Have you checked out Flagg Ranch between YNP and GTNP? Never stayed there but getting in and out of both parks convenient from there. One can also stay in GTNP but more of a drive each day. These options aren't as close as West to Norris and Old Faithful, but they are closer for the east side attractions such as Canyon, West Thumb, and Lake. Maybe spilt up your stay between West and somewhere to the south?
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone 2 years ago. We never had any delay getting into the park. Plus there are several restaurants in town within walking distance if you feel like eating out.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We tackled Yellowstone from south and west entries. Coming up from Jackson we stayed in cabins at Headwaters Flagg ranch 3 nights, then 2 nights in West Yellowstones Hibernation station. Headwaters had RV hook ups, Grizzly RV Park was right next to us. Either location is close to an 1hr to Old Faithful. Yellowstone is huge. Enjoy.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed twice at Grant Ranch. Makes for easy access to both Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I prefer to stay in the park, but understand your situation. West Yellowstone would be my choice. We have stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone a few times and enjoy it. Just give yourself an extra 45 minutes to get into and out of the park each trip. West Yellowstone is a nice resort community and the scenery driving into the park is great.

The main road in Yellowstone is shaped like a figure 8. We usually explore the top loop for a day or two and the bottom loop for the same amount of time. Excursions can be taken from each of the loops. Enjoy your trip!
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4