cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's Tannehill like say the week or so after Labor Day. We'd like to stop for a day or two on our way to Panama City, Fl area? I understand they do not accept reservations and since it is close to Birmingham, I suspect weekends can get pretty crowded. Would weekends be pretty much out, or do we stand a chance of getting a decent spot?

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
7 REPLIES 7

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
After Labor Day will be a difficult time. The park will fill up with local campers. The park has a BIG Halloween event all the campers will be decorating there campsites for it. You will definitely need to call ahead to see if sites are available. I have never been to Brierfield. Oak Mountain State Park is a good one. Tannehill is a Great park to see definitely worth it. Just make sure to call and check before you go.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would any one be willing to compare Tannehill with Brierfield Ironworks Historical State Park, which I understand is similar but smaller. Tannehill 256 sites vs Brierfield 25. We're looking at it from a camping point of view, nice spaced sites with trees, clean restrooms, relatively level sites. And assuming a smaller park might mean less crowded. But again a smaller park might not have all the sights and historic structures as the larger.

Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped there on a Friday night on our way from Dallas to Atlanta. Great park, be sure to look around at the ironworks. Click on my photolink and you will find an entire album of pictures. Have a good trip.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input. Better check in to the festivals, etc. I never realized that park sponsored so many. Sound like quite the busy place. Anxious to visit.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking that if you arrive on Labour Day there should be spots. Everyone has to leave on Labour Day/Mon to go back to work.

Been to that CG. Sort of stumbled upon it & stayed an extra day as a dulcimer festival was going on.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I would call them. I beleive its the first Saturday of each month they have a big trade day there and space would be at a premium. Beautiful park with lots to do and see. I have never camped there but have visited it in several occasions. The staff is excellent. Have fun.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great question for their office staff. Give them a call.
(205) 477-5711
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus