cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell us where to go for our fulltime takeoff!

Candikane
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas from you seasoned fulltimers. We're hitting the road in our 35-footer class A around late Jan/early Feb to start fulltiming! We'll be coming from Wisconsin and we're seeking warmth and fun! 1 kiddo--9 years old--and a dog. We are needing budget-friendly but would love a lake, ocean, pool, etc for fun in the sun!
21 REPLIES 21

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Gulf Shores State Park, Alabama is an excellent park. During the winter months you can stay as long as you want, unlike other state parks of 2-week stays. It has full hookups and big sites. Lots of fun people - snowbirds and full-timers and nice activities. Good restaurants nearby and plenty to see in the area. Pensacola is a short drive and the air museum is great. You can take the nearby ferry with your car across the bay and go to Mobile. Many other neat excursions for day trips.

What a spot!!!!!!!!!

You, 2gypsies, have really seen the country and have found some very good spots that many of us have never visited. What a great recommendation to start a Full-time lifestyle in an RV. Great rates, warm location and would be an excellent spot to start the Adventure.
Great suggestion!

BOL,

Thank you kindly. Yes, we've been blessed to have been able to do all we have.

OP: If it would be between Fort Pickens or Gulf State Park, we'd choose Gulf State Park. There would be more for your 9-year-old to do in the area. Also, Fort Pickens has been under water quite a few times during heavy rains.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others Gulf Shores State park!! (or several in Lower Alabama) We live in the area and love it! As much as I loved the midwest I don't miss those winters one bit!

Oh, If you make it down our way be sure and stop by our church we would love to have you, we get over 7000 snowbird visitors a year and they are like family to us!! www.romarbeachbaptist.org
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually
2014.5 TKSB3 Elite Suites by DRV

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a very lucky 9 year old!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Gulf Shores State Park, Alabama is an excellent park. During the winter months you can stay as long as you want, unlike other state parks of 2-week stays. It has full hookups and big sites. Lots of fun people - snowbirds and full-timers and nice activities. Good restaurants nearby and plenty to see in the area. Pensacola is a short drive and the air museum is great. You can take the nearby ferry with your car across the bay and go to Mobile. Many other neat excursions for day trips.

What a spot!!!!!!!!!

You, 2gypsies, have really seen the country and have found some very good spots that many of us have never visited. What a great recommendation to start a Full-time lifestyle in an RV. Great rates, warm location and would be an excellent spot to start the Adventure.
Great suggestion!

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
littlemo wrote:
To Dakota

I may have misunderstood your post but Fort Pickens has hookups, water and electric (no sewer). We were there this summer. It is a great campground right across from the beach.

You are absolutely right! I was having a brain gas attack. I think I remember no power because it went out while we were there - so much rain our site was under water. But it was still so beautiful we are ready to go back. thanks!

"I was having a brain gas attack". LOL. I have those all the time!

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
To Dakota

I may have misunderstood your post but Fort Pickens has hookups, water and electric (no sewer). We were there this summer. It is a great campground right across from the beach.

You are absolutely right! I was having a brain gas attack. I think I remember no power because it went out while we were there - so much rain our site was under water. But it was still so beautiful we are ready to go back. thanks!
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Gulf Shores State Park (in orange Beach) Alabama FHU and monthly rates. Make ress.
Camp Gulf Detin Fl. (Sandestin?) great place on the gulf/beach side, stay up front for best rates monthly FHU
Foscue COE FHU Demopolis, Al. great place good history can be found in area IF you ask.
HO-Hum RV park in the Florida curve is nice.

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
I have reviewed numerous Florida State Parks with lots of pictures on my blog NiceCamps.com that you might like to check out.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Wisconsin late Jan/early February can be tricky. Unless you are able to keep your water & tanks warm you may want to dewinterize south of Nashville. Our first Florida trip in 2013, leaving on February 1st from SW Michigan, was very cold and we ran into snow in Nashville the 2nd day out. Around Troy, AL along US231 is a nice spot to stop for a short stay, Deer Run RV Park. It's got FHUs and cable for under $30/night with Good Sam. We've stayed there a couple of times on our way to/from FL. The owner, originally from MI, said that he gets a lot of folks from the Great Lakes area, some staying for the winter. It's a bit chilly there for me though.

http://www.deerrunrvpark.com/

If going to FL and trying to watch your pennies you should stay north of the Tampa/Orlando line, or I-4. The temps can get cool, but after February 1st the temps will be warmer, especially during the daytime.

Use RV Park Reviews.com as a search tool to look for potential RV parks that fit your budget and amenity needs. There are plenty slightly north of I-4 that will do the job. The site allows you to check out the geographic location as well as the website for the park. From there you can check the rates, pool info, hookups, and whether they are a 55+ campground. We'll be in Crystal River, FL for much of our winter trip and while some think that's too far north we like the climate there in addition to very little traffic which you usually find further south. Good luck on your plans!

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Florida/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Candikane
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at Fort Pickens now! Do they have weekly/monthly rates? And if so, does the America the Beautiful access pass work with those too, or just daily rates?

Candikane
Explorer
Explorer
Fun! Keep em coming! Thanks for all the great ideas so far!

Candikane
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Position your camper with the rear of the camper facing the last place you worked. Start your engine and drive forward and do not look back!

Congrats on your new lifestyle!

Hahaha, love this! ๐Ÿ˜‰

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
To Dakota