cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell us where to go for our fulltime takeoff!

Candikane
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas from you seasoned fulltimers. We're hitting the road in our 35-footer class A around late Jan/early Feb to start fulltiming! We'll be coming from Wisconsin and we're seeking warmth and fun! 1 kiddo--9 years old--and a dog. We are needing budget-friendly but would love a lake, ocean, pool, etc for fun in the sun!
21 REPLIES 21

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Florida will be packed south of Tampa - I did the same thing this past January. If you want to go there, make reservations now. The exception is Everglades National Park. But, most of the sites are dry camping. You may luck into an electric site, or you can try to reserve one now. Also try Gulf Islands National Seashore (Fort Pickens). The beaches are absolutely beautiful, the campground is dry camping only.
Escapees has two parks in central Florida. We really liked Bushnell and they have great rates but it is really in the middle of nowhere and not much to entertain a 9 year old. There is another one in Alabama. Not too far from Gulf Shores and the sites are large. But again, it may not be much fun for a 9 year old.
South Carolina offers 1/2 price sites for month long stays at their coastal parks December through February. It may be in the 50s during that time though. It is really a great deal. Myrtle Beach is close to town with lots to do and they have full hook up sites. Not a bad way to spend a January.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
rjxj wrote:
Work your way south to Nashville and hit the Natchez Trace Parkway. First stop: Meriwether Lewis campground. Beautiful area. 440 miles later it will be much warmer in Natchez Mississippi. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since you are a Full Timer, Once you get to Nashville (Jan will be cold, but Feb should have some warm days -- March will be spring and time to turn North) you need to spend a week at each campground. Your biggest expense will be fuel if you only spend a few days in a campground and do a lot of driving. You have the rest of your life to "see the USA". So take your time

Check out the COE campground. There are a large number of them in TN, GA, AL, MS, and FL.

Then in the spring (note the date on some of my photos) chase the warm weather up the East coast to New England and Newfoundland to see the icebergs.

In the fall let the Cold weather chase you to the Southwest (TX, AZ NM) Then next spring follow the warm weather up to Yellowstone, Glacier NP and Alaska.

Again let the cold weather chase you south to WA, OR, CA and AZ

This will keep you busy for a few years. REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR TIME.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
We're leaving end of September whether or not the house sells! We already have a Camp Host position set up for Oct. and Nov. in Florida and after that we want to move around to see where we might want to settle. No real locked in plans except the Host position. YEA!!!:)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Work your way south to Nashville and hit the Natchez Trace Parkway. First stop: Meriwether Lewis campground. Beautiful area. 440 miles later it will be much warmer in Natchez Mississippi. ๐Ÿ™‚

http://freecampsites.net/#!1082&query=sitedetails

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Candikane wrote:
Looking for ideas from you seasoned fulltimers. We're hitting the road in our 35-footer class A around late Jan/early Feb to start fulltiming! We'll be coming from Wisconsin and we're seeking warmth and fun! 1 kiddo--9 years old--and a dog. We are needing budget-friendly but would love a lake, ocean, pool, etc for fun in the sun!

Be prepared for the CG's in the Midwest to be closed! Most close their doors Oct 1. There are ones along the interstates that will be open but no water...........something "I" did NOT calculate into my plans when I sold my house in Wisconsin after Oct to go full time. :W

Welcome to the world of full time RV'ing! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Position your camper with the rear of the camper facing the last place you worked. Start your engine and drive forward and do not look back!

Congrats on your new lifestyle!

Candikane
Explorer
Explorer
Also, we're probably joining Escapees and possibly Passport America.