cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas in the winter?

gemory1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have suggestions for wintering in Texas.Boondocking or inexpensive park, blm etc.---Thanks
34 REPLIES 34

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, I am not making myself clear. I was simply following up the OP who asked about free camping or boondocking in Texas I have stayed at all the parks mentioned. What I am looking for is the free camping that some talk about on SPI (South Padre Island). There are about a dozen of us who would like to spend a weekend camping in a wide variety of rigs on SPI and not have to pay to park there. We can pay, but the ides of boondocking on the beach appeals to some of my buddies more than parking in a conventional campground. We have all done that plenty of times and places. Thanks for all the replies.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
John, There is another Small county park at beach access 4 or 5 I think it is. Pretty basic but great beach access.
pawatt

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
pawatt wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
MichDoc wrote:
Nicest area is Mustang Island and Padre Island. Both allow boondocking right on the beach.

Is that North or South Padre Island. I am looking for a place on SPI for late October.

Mustang is North Padre just south of Aransas Pass & north of North Padre. It is nice & not a busy area but colder & windier than South Padre.

I know where Mustang is, spent some time there a year ago. I was asking about SPI (South Padre Island).

Two places are on SPI itself, a KOA and the County campgrounds. For a short term off season stay I would recommend the KOA. For longer stays during peak time then the County campgrounds will save $$$$, but you get what you pay for also.

Port Isabel off the causeway has several campgrounds, but it would be best to look at them first. DW would never stay in any of them. If you're a fisherman and enjoy social hour then that's another story.

Long Island is in Port Isabel and is a gated private owned RV/home community. Another one that would be a personal call based on what you're looking for.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 campgrounds on South Padre. I am quite sure you can camp on the beach south of the mile 5 access but the salt spray would be hard on your vehicle.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My sister lived on North Padre Island and I am familiar with that area. It is SPI (South Padre Island) that I am curious about. Some people have said there is free beach camping there, but I have not found it. The ninety miles from North to South Padre makes a lot of difference in January. Check out the weather records. It is even warmer near McAllen.

MichDoc
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
MichDoc wrote:
Nicest area is Mustang Island and Padre Island. Both allow boondocking right on the beach.

Is that North or South Padre Island. I am looking for a place on SPI for late October.

I'm referring to North Padre Island. You can get to it by bridge from Corpus Christi, or by driving down Mustang Island from Port Aransas. North Padre is separated from South Padre by a channel, but no bridge, so you have to go all the way around to near Brownsville to access South Padre. Also, last time we were on South Padre we found very few areas to camp on the beach, whereas North Padre and Mustang Island provided almost unlimited access. Also, I don't agree with the statement that North Padre is colder and windier than South Padre. You're talking about a few miles, so the weather isn't any different.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
MichDoc wrote:

Mustang is North Padre just south of Aransas Pass & north of North Padre. It is nice & not a busy area but colder & windier than South Padre.

I know where Mustang is, spent some time there a year ago. I was asking about SPI (South Padre Island).

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
delphysmith wrote:
Everyone is talking about RGV ๐Ÿ™‚

Only on this Forum. There is an old saying: "Those with money go to Florida, those that think they have money go to Arizona, and the rest of us go to Texas." LOL

The RGV is just a very small part of Texas that no Texans ever go to for a vacation (other than South Padre Island, which may or may not be called part of the RGV depending on the person.)

Camping near the Laguna Madre/Gulf is asking for major rust issues. Not a problem if you're OK with daily washing and oiling of things. Even then you'll have problems.

Texas can be viewed as upper, middle, and lower since it is so large. There is no need to spend the complete winter in only one location. You can move with the season and spend 2-8 weeks in a section then move with the temps to the adjoining section.

If you're over 62 and have a Golden Age pass COE's are very nice in Texas and are $10-15/day W/E.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

delphysmith
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is talking about RGV ๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you want boondocking and BLM land - Arizona is your place.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay away from the pan handle area in the winter. It gets dang right cold and snowy up there.
Brrrrr....
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
MichDoc wrote:

pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
MichDoc wrote:

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
There are nearly 500 RV Parks in the Rio Grande Valley, Prices start below $200.00 per Mo plus Electric. One nice low end park is Golden Grove Near Mission. Good free WIFI, Good size sites and near Bentsen State Park & the World Birding Center.
Also paved bike trails nearby, No Pool & few activities but several adjoining parks have many activities open to the public. The Rio Grande Valley will be the warmest area of Texas, We have not had a frost for the past 2 years.
pawatt

MichDoc
Explorer
Explorer