cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas in the winter?

gemory1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have suggestions for wintering in Texas.Boondocking or inexpensive park, blm etc.---Thanks
34 REPLIES 34

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
I stand corrected. I wrote, "The ninety miles from North to South Padre makes a lot of difference in January. Check out the weather records. It is even warmer near McAllen."
When I should have written, "some difference". Believe me, the difference of only a few degrees is noticeable in the middle of winter.

I agree that North Padre seems much colder, I am sure some of it may be that it is windier. Ever look at the trees at Goose Island State Park.

It seems to be about 5-10 degrees cooler during Jan/Feb. As far as the wind, it is windy all along the coast so that's pretty much a given.

Both places will have a mild Texas winter (2-6 weeks) during that time period. Only other difference is SPI is a party town, while NPI is a drinking town, with a fishing problem. :B Both are nice places to turn the key off at.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know what you discover in Texas. I am sure we will find it interesting.

gemory1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone----we've boondocked in Az for a couple winters and want something different, will try some of these for sure. Been to SPI and love it, just never camped there.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Personal attacks on others are & will continue to be deleted. Please do not cause the thread to be closed.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
MichDoc wrote:
I missed the name change, and thought that I was answering the OP. If you want other info, you might want to start YOUR OWN thread dealing STRICTLY with boondocking on South Padre.

The OP was asking about boondocking opportunities in Texas. South Padre Island is part of the great state of Texas. Therefore, my bringing SPI into the thread is germane to the conversation......................

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
I stand corrected. I wrote, "The ninety miles from North to South Padre makes a lot of difference in January. Check out the weather records. It is even warmer near McAllen."
When I should have written, "some difference". Believe me, the difference of only a few degrees is noticeable in the middle of winter.

I agree that North Padre seems much colder, I am sure some of it may be that it is windier. Ever look at the trees at Goose Island State Park.

They wear jackets? :B

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:

pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer

MichDoc
Explorer
Explorer
Gemory1, getting back to your post, another spot that you might be interested in is Magnolia Beach, near Port Lavaca. People boondock on the beach there, and it's a really pretty area.
Also, you might want to check out this website for more free camping locations.
By the way, regarding the relative differences in temps between North and South Padre Islands, here are a couple links:
Corpus Christi and North Padre
Port Isabel near South Padre
They're only about 80 miles apart, so temps are nearly identical.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Only place to boondock is at the very north end of the main road on the shoulder. Sand drifts are very common as is high winds. You can pay to drive out onto the beach north of town, but no-one (and I mean no-one) ever boondocks out there. I would think you would be up to your axles in sand and salt water within 24 hours. YMMV

Thanks, that is what I thought. I have heard people say that they have parked for free on the beach at SPI, but I never have found a suitable place. I have stayed at the campgrounds on the Island.

Just north of the convention center is what is called "the flats." At one time lots would boondock there, but then a few started to dump onto the ground. Owner said no more of that, and now it is off limits to all. That is the only place I know where people could park and kinda call it "on the beach."

Everywhere else the police will move you along other than the shoulder at the north end of the island. If it is windy, it can become a very hostile environment to a rig. If there was a good free place to camp, I think the spring breakers would have found it by now ๐Ÿ˜‰

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Boca Chica state park. No facilities. Hwy 4 from Brownsville
Bill and Joey the dog

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Only place to boondock is at the very north end of the main road on the shoulder. Sand drifts are very common as is high winds. You can pay to drive out onto the beach north of town, but no-one (and I mean no-one) ever boondocks out there. I would think you would be up to your axles in sand and salt water within 24 hours. YMMV

Thanks, that is what I thought. I have heard people say that they have parked for free on the beach at SPI, but I never have found a suitable place. I have stayed at the campgrounds on the Island.

MichDoc
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Apparently, I am not making myself clear. I was simply following up the OP who asked about free camping or boondocking in Texas I have stayed at all the parks mentioned. What I am looking for is the free camping that some talk about on SPI (South Padre Island). There are about a dozen of us who would like to spend a weekend camping in a wide variety of rigs on SPI and not have to pay to park there. We can pay, but the ides of boondocking on the beach appeals to some of my buddies more than parking in a conventional campground. We have all done that plenty of times and places. Thanks for all the replies.

I missed the name change, and thought that I was answering the OP. If you want other info, you might want to start YOUR OWN thread dealing STRICTLY with boondocking on South Padre.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Apparently, I am not making myself clear. I was simply following up the OP who asked about free camping or boondocking in Texas I have stayed at all the parks mentioned. What I am looking for is the free camping that some talk about on SPI (South Padre Island). There are about a dozen of us who would like to spend a weekend camping in a wide variety of rigs on SPI and not have to pay to park there. We can pay, but the ides of boondocking on the beach appeals to some of my buddies more than parking in a conventional campground. We have all done that plenty of times and places. Thanks for all the replies.