cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas State Park Fees?

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
Later this week we are finally getting out of this latest "Polar Vortex" ka-ka and heading to Arizona. Plan on spending 3 or 4 days in Texas State Parks (Dinosaur Valley & Balmorhea): As I understand it the fee is $7 per day per person, is that right? DW & I would be $42 for 3 nights or $56 for 4 nights. Still cheaper than the $70 annual fee. Wisconsin charges per vehicle and you get a sticker. Does Texas make you wear a wrist band or something? Sorry for my ignorance.
Thanks for any info.
Omrod
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch
16 REPLIES 16

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Actually a large amount of the budget for Texas State Parks is generated by local residents visiting the state parks for day use.

Park rangers and hosting couples we know have told us it is absolutely amazing that well over half the regular park day use visitors do not want to purchase the yearly pass.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Texas has no state income tax so they get income from visitors instead.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Do other states have license-free fishing in their state parks? Texas does. Can you camp year-round with individual water connection in New Mexico, Missouri, etc? You can in Texas. (Yes I KNOW it's colder in NM and MO). Every state has its ups and downs with regard to fees and policies. The point is to be educated on just exactly what you are getting for your money. I love Tennessee state parks, but to legally fish in one you must have BOTH a state license and a park fishing permit. I'll take most any state park in ANY state over a private RV park(ing lot)!
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Omrod wrote:
For $70.00 you can get a Texas State park pass that lets you and your guests in the park, without charge.

That means we would have to stay eight days or more to be ahead of the daily fee per person fees we don't plan on staying in Texas that long this year. Guess I'll opt for Arizona parks that waves the entrance fees when camping.

Folks complain about Wisconsin fees that is $35 per vehicle for out-of-state annual stickers and $25 ($12.50 seniors) for WI residents.

NC doesn't charge you for vehicles to enter state parks. Just the camping fee. And the camping fee is the same to all, no matter what state you are from. Honestly, that's the best way i've seen it. But we've by there before and never saw anyone collecting money. Might be just when we were by there.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

breeno
Explorer
Explorer
Omrod wrote:
Later this week we are finally getting out of this latest "Polar Vortex" ka-ka and heading to Arizona. Plan on spending 3 or 4 days in Texas State Parks (Dinosaur Valley & Balmorhea): As I understand it the fee is $7 per day per person, is that right? DW & I would be $42 for 3 nights or $56 for 4 nights. Still cheaper than the $70 annual fee. Wisconsin charges per vehicle and you get a sticker. Does Texas make you wear a wrist band or something? Sorry for my ignorance.
Thanks for any info.
Omrod

The park pass also gives a discount on your camping fees of 50% up to 4 nights for stays 2 days or more. (The first night is full price)

When you check in to the park you flash your card to get your discounts and they give you a pass to tape to the inside of the vehicles windshield during your stay.

Edit: should have read the entire thread first, looks like folks covered the camping fee discount already. Note also Texas parks are first-come-first-serve (can't reserve a specific spot) and many parks have limited big rig spots available and these go quickly at the popular parks on the weekend.
DW-Dayna DD-Addison (07) Husky-Juni (02)
2013 F350 DRW, 4WD, 6.7, Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Gateway 3650 BH
B&W Companion OEM 20k
Apple Enthusiast

ReVoker
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good idea that you might not have thought of... if you think the price is too high in Texas state parks, don't stay there. Easy, isn't it?
ReVoker
An opinion on every subject...

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas does offer discounts to US Military Veterans of 60% of more. I belief admissions fee waived for you and spouse, or maybe even vehicle.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
l001952119 wrote:
Omrod wrote:
Thanks for any info.
Omrod
Park entrance fee is $4.00 per adult, per day. Children under 12 years are free. The reason for this fee is because not every entrant is there to utilize the campground. Therefore, if they visit the park in lieu of camping, they pay the fee. If you elect to camp there, you pay the $4.00 per adult entrance fee and the daily campground fee. The annual pass for $70.00 is only viable if you will be staying several days or intend to return within a one year period and use the park system.

Different parks have different daily entrance fees. (These may be $4.00, but they may be different. You can check each park for fee amounts.)
And yes you get 4, I believe, 1/2 price night camping fees with one nights full price paid which helps with the cost. Also, if you will be coming back thru Texas, the Park Pass (which covers the daily entrance fee/person) is good for 1 year. I bought ours last year around the first of March and it is good thru the end of March this year.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
NM state parks do not have an entrance fee on top of the camping fee as well.

NM State Park Fees are some of the lowest in the country. $10 camping without hookups, $4 more for electric. Fees NM State Parks
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
Omrod wrote:
Thanks for any info.
Omrod
Park entrance fee is $4.00 per adult, per day. Children under 12 years are free. The reason for this fee is because not every entrant is there to utilize the campground. Therefore, if they visit the park in lieu of camping, they pay the fee. If you elect to camp there, you pay the $4.00 per adult entrance fee and the daily campground fee. The annual pass for $70.00 is only viable if you will be staying several days or intend to return within a one year period and use the park system.

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
Omrod wrote:
For $70.00 you can get a Texas State park pass that lets you and your guests in the park, without charge.

That means we would have to stay eight days or more to be ahead of the daily fee per person fees we don't plan on staying in Texas that long this year. Guess I'll opt for Arizona parks that waves the entrance fees when camping.

Folks complain about Wisconsin fees that is $35 per vehicle for out-of-state annual stickers and $25 ($12.50 seniors) for WI residents.

The pass also gives you several discount coupons (electronically tracked) for half off your second night stay at State Park campgrounds, so it actually pays for itself slightly quicker than you eight days depending on the camping fees where you're planning on going.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Texas has high camping fees for just w/e. Daily per person entry fee is just gouging on top.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Many states do it different ways.

Those which do not have a daily entrance fee tend to have higher daily camping fees.

For a short trip as you mention - paying the fee might be cheaper than buying the annual pass. Note that with the annual pass you receive half off the camping fee for one night on up to four different two night (or longer) camping stays each year.

Note - not all TX State Parks charge $7. Monahans Sandhills just off I-20 west of Midland/Odessa charges $3, Lake Colorado City is $4, Abilene SP is $5 - so if traveling across Texas on I-20 - you can use the cheaper fee parks.

Research the individual park on the Texas State Parks website.

The process is that when you stop at the park entrance station - you either pay the entrance fee, or you show the park pass. Then you get a receipt to be displayed on the vehicle windshield.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer

Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch