cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thanksgiving in Arizona or Southern Utah

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of a rendezvous with some relatives over the Thanksgiving Holiday week. We'd be coming from Dallas, and they'd be coming from northern California (Red Bluff to be exact)

The halfway point would be somewhere in northern Arizona, perhaps southern Utah.

Some areas under consideration would be Moab, Utah or Ruby's Inn, Roosevelt Lake, Arizona or maybe Flagstaff or Sedona.

I'm not sure if snow would be much of a factor around Thanksgiving... but I'd want to avoid that. We'd probably want full hookups with decent cell phone reception.

What do you folks think?
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
17 REPLIES 17

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
We spent Thanksgiving week at Zion a couple of years ago. Never got out of the thirties all day with mid twenties at night. Lots of time spent around the roaring campfire. We had fun and every year is different but be prepared for cold weather.

:C

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Generally the Rocky Mountain west is getting much colder in November.

Looks can be deceiving.

In November Moab has an average low of below 30 degrees. St George Utah will have a Nov. average low of approximately 40 degrees. Day time temperatures will be higher in St. George. St. George is in what Coloradans would call a "Banana Belt." One of the key factors is altitude. Phoenix is warmer that Tucson because Phoenix is lower. Flagstaff will probably be getting some snow in November, it gets more than 100 inches of snow a year.

It depends on what you want.

Let us know where you wind up.

Good Luck!

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I would opt for Moab, if you've never been there be prepared to be amazed. We go in Oct and the weather is great.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Although the greater Phoenix area is huge it's the easiest big city to get around, in our opinion. Naturally, you don't drive during 'rush' hours. Every one of the Maricopa County parks is awesome with great views and hiking. Lost Dutchman State Park at the far eastern side is equally awesome. I'd have no qualms about staying in the area.

After our last trip to Sedona this year we vowed never to return. It has become much too touristy and talk about traffic. Yikes!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Like already stated any place with altitude (anything over about 3000') is going to have a high probability of cold weather. By Thanksgiving time all the lower desert towns usually are having great weather. While Sedona is a beautiful place it is a tourist area. It is also 25+ miles from the Distant Drums RV Resort. Also as already noted it's snowbird time and while it starts getting crowded at Thanksgiving time, it's only the first wave. It really gets packed after Christmas.
Lake Havasu City (where I hang my hat) is a great place that time of year but get your reservation ASAP.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanksgiving would pretty well shut out Flag staff and Bryce due to snow and cold.

Distant Drums for Sedona would be great (done that a lot) and Moab is a good choice but not sure about the weather that time of year.

All beautiful places.

I would avoid Phoenix area - now 5th largest city in the nation and, amongst other things, the traffic is unbearable anytime.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You will have cold weather in northern AZ or southern Utah. Even Sedona will be cold. Roosevelt Lake would be nice weather but full hookups... I'm not sure if Windy Hill national forest campground has full hookups. The others on the lake don't have hookups. What about Havasu City, AZ? Or, as mentioned, Lake Pleasant Regional Park? Or any of the Maricopa County parks in the greater Phoenix area are excellent. Get reservations for that weekend... popular places on holidays.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
May I suggest Lake Pleasant Regional Park just north of Phoenix Arizona. This is a beautiful desert park with great lake access. Each site has water and power, and there are dump stations conveniently located. There is zero chance of snow like you'd get if you went a little farther north. We camp there every winter. If you make reservations soon, you will be able to accomodate your entire party. Here's a link to website where you can obtain information and make reservations:

Lake Pleasant Reservations

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Odds are, it will be fairly cold, possibly even snow on the ground at Bryce canyon on Thanksgiving. Moab, of the Utah areas you've mentioned has a much higher probability of decent weather, although it will probably still get fairly cold at night. Personally, I love the Moab area in November and it's a great time of year for hiking.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
For me, no question it would be Moab! Flagstaff and Sedona are nice but my opinion, Moab is way better. Two Utah NP parks nearby and many other very interesting things to do and see.
I love me some land yachting

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
So.... looks like Sedona area, or Roosevelt lake would be safer bets... Any other suggestions? Anyone familiar with that region?
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
GoHorns wrote:
We've been to Ruby's Inn a couple of times and love it there. However, according to their web site, there are only water/electric sites available during the week of Thanksgiving. I wonder if they shut down the sites with sewer for the winter. I'd imagine it'd be getting pretty cold there by that time of year.

Or are all the full hook-up sites already booked?
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
There's a possibility of snow anywhere along I-40 in Arizona by that late in the year at altitude and Flagstaff is at altitude. Farther south is safer, especially if you are reserving this far in advance.

Keep in mind that most snowbirds to Arizona arrive about November 1 and stay until April 1. That means fewer choices for short-timers in RV parks, although most keep a few spaces available for overnight to one-week RVers.

Personally, I would recommend taking I-20 to I-10 from Texas, not I-40, in November.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Ruby's Inn a couple of times and love it there. However, according to their web site, there are only water/electric sites available during the week of Thanksgiving. I wonder if they shut down the sites with sewer for the winter. I'd imagine it'd be getting pretty cold there by that time of year.
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters