cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thanksgiving on the Chesapeak Bay

UkePlayer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. New to the forum, but not to RVing. We hope to spend the Thanksgiving holiday down on the Chesapeak somewhere and would like any suggestions for campgrounds. We have a 21ft BT Cruiser, so we don't need a big RV resort type of place. Somewhere kind of rustic but with power and water hookup. Any and all suggestions welcome.
I look forward to joining in on the conversations all around the forum.
Regards
Nancy
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sitting in one right now. James Island SP Crisfield. Sites only feet from the water. Dynamite sunset views.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Elk Neck was pretty good last weekend. We stayed in the electric loop (Chester) which was fine for what we needed. Thursday night there was hardly anyone there so we enjoyed some peace and quiet. Friday night all hell broke loose as a group of large families surrounded us on almost every side. I don't mind basic noise from there being lots of people in a CG. But several little girls would run around and scream at the top of their lungs, which really is annoying. Also what I found interesting is that the full hookup loop seemed to have more room and the sites were spaced out better. The electric loop seemed to have sites arranged all over the place with lots of overlap so that tents/TTs were close together.

So if you want peace and quiet, don't go on weekends during nice weather! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

det62
Explorer
Explorer
UkePlayer wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We settled on Point Look Out and can't wait to explore the area. Happy Thanksgiving!

Enjoy!! We normally camp there over Thanksgiving..but not this year..:(
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

UkePlayer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We settled on Point Look Out and can't wait to explore the area. Happy Thanksgiving!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
Elk Neck's full hookup section is very nice.We have also stayed at Jane's Island State Park near Crisfield,Md. We plan on staying at Chippokes Plantation State Park over Christmas.It's not directly on the bay it's on the James River.It's right across the river from Jamestown and Williamsburg.You can cross the river on a free ferry.The park has water and electric hookups.

Been to that one too. Very convenient to Jamestown. The older section is the place to be. Plenty of nice treed backins.

The new section is about as sterile as a commercial CG. No trees, pullthrough sites not very far apart, some backins around the outside of the loop.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Elk Neck's full hookup section is very nice.We have also stayed at Jane's Island State Park near Crisfield,Md. We plan on staying at Chippokes Plantation State Park over Christmas.It's not directly on the bay it's on the James River.It's right across the river from Jamestown and Williamsburg.You can cross the river on a free ferry.The park has water and electric hookups.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor RV Park, located in Abington, MD on the northern end of the Bay sits on the Bush River that feeds into the Bay.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Tuckahoe State Park MD a couple weeks ago and really liked it. But it is not on the bay itself, and only has electric sites (there are water faucets spread out through the CG.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
I go to kilens pond every Thanksgiving for last 7 years. The cost is $26.00 a nite .I usually stay 4 nites
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Milburn Landing on the shore also. Shad and Milburn are about 1/2 hour apart on the Pocomoke River). We just stayed there a few weeks ago. Bathhouse and some sites have been recently renovated. If you do stay down here, I recommend eating at Barbelys in Newark, Md. Locally owned and managed (it was hardware store in their family for years) and great home (like) cooked food with delicious deserts. They are only open a few days a week and a lot of holidays. But get reservations. We are actually eating there on Thanksgiving Day ourselves.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Point Lookout would be my first choice for state parks in MD. Second would be Elk Neck, particularly if you don't want to travel as far south.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Delmarva is sort of my home territory. Lots of great SPs if they are your style. We regularly use Killens Pond SP, DE, Martinak SP, Denton, MD & Shad Landing.

Don't know much about the private CGs as they are pricey but have ammenities that we don't need or want.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're open to VA, there's a terrific VA State Park on their Eastern Shore right on the Chesapeake with the options of full hookups or E/W.
Kiptopeke SP
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/kiptopeke.shtml#general_information
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

UkePlayer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks leaddog...that is one of the places I saw when I googled the area. Nice to have a confirmation...