cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT: I wanted to add this link here at the beginning.

Ragusa's Summer 2014 Trailer

Hello friends! We have been home for two months, but I am just now feeling like getting to the trip report. The trip was so EPIC, that I was honestly a bit intimidated to put it into a thread. Realizing now that I could never do the trip justice, I decided to just jump in and let the report come out the best it does.

Over the last year or more, many folks on this forum had helped in the planning over on this thread: A year of planning for the perfect family trip! Thank you to all that contributed.

Some were put off by my use of the word "perfect", saying that it wasn't possible. Well, not only was it possible, but it was accomplished! Perfect doesn't mean trouble free. Having the right state of mind is necessary at times. But all in all, 99% of the trip went off exactly as we had hoped.

I want to give a thorough report. We have 20,000 photos and over 20 hours of video to sort and sift through. I've been working diligently on iMovie and already have half the trip put together. I put together a very brief slideshow for close friends and family, and even that is a 4 hour process showing some 1,000 pictures. That being said, the photos and videos are a labor of love for us personally. I hope to share them with people, but understand how hard it is to sit through other families home movies. That's where you folks come in! We have a common interest. Campers, camping, travel, etc. I think posting here will be a great way to share with the community.

The trip: We left on June 6, 2014 from South Carolina and headed west for a 40 day loop through the Southwest. We hit as many National Parks as we could in that time frame. When we parked the truck in the driveway, the odometer read 5,999.9 miles. Every last one of them treasured.

Places visited:

Petrified Forest
Walnut Canyon
Sunset Crater
Wupatki
Grand Canyon
Glen Canyon and Lake Powell
Kanab, Utah
Zion
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Goblin Valley
Arches
Canyonlands
Moab
Mesa Verde
Durango
Silverton
Ouray
Ridgway
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Rocky Mtn National Park
Sand Creek
Wichita
St. Louis

I listed places we actually stopped and did things. There were many other things that were just quick "on the road" stops.

The family: Family of 4. We're in our late 40's with twin 9 year old boys.

My windows to post may be sporadic, so I think it's best for me to post in installments, as I get the time. Like a mini-series. LOL

I'll do my best to keep you entertained and offer opinions for any that have questions.

ADDED: Here's a link to one segment of our home movie 2014 ARCHES VIDEO
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
246 REPLIES 246

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What an absolute fabulous gift you have given your children. They were just the right age to absorb it all in and I'm impressed with how they stuck with the Junior Ranger Programs. They take a lot of time and parents have to get them around to all the places to answer the questions. What a great family you have!! The pictures are awesome and bring back happy memories for us, too.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like y'all had a great trip!
Thanks for sharing!

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip. Really enjoyed you sharing.
Your photos bring back lots of good memories been to many of the same places.
Thanks so much.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for responding with interesting and detailed trip results. Many come here to ask for help with planning, and then no one ever hears from them (unless something ticked them off).

Your two sons have an experience that will last them a life time. Good for you to take the time to plan for that positive experience.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
This makes my day! What a fantastic trip, a beautiful thing. Oh, to have such childhood memories.

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
So far, I have been to most of the places you pictured, so I know it is a great trip ๐Ÿ™‚

We homeschooled, and those ranger programs were great. I feel my kids got a real education in geography.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great trip report so far with wonderful photos, glad I got in on the beginning and thank you so much for sharing with us.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I made a similar trip a few years ago but we didn't take nearly as many pics as you. You did a great job and your narrative along side the photos makes for a very entertaining travelogue. Looking forward to more.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
wonderful trip report! your family is great and pics were fab!!

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great report on your trip. Really like the pics. Look forward to more installments.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all! Not finished yet. It will probably be a 2-3 week process to get the report done. Keep checking. ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Really enjoying it! Your young guys will never forget it, I'm sure.

Pigkisser
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a great trip report. Thanks!
2007 Jayco Seneca 33SS
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door 4X4 toad
Ready Brute/Ready Brake tow bar/brake combination
Yeti Ice Chest

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful trip - your boys will never forget! Makes me want to rethink a 3 week trip to the southwest and extend it to 6 weeks!
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, keep 'em coming!