cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tunnel Restriction at Zion National Park

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
I am confused about something related to the tunnel at Zion N.P.

I have a reservation at Zion River RV Park, Virgin, UT in August. We have a 45' motorhome (12'6" ht) and tow a car (which can be detached). I know there is a tunnel with restrictions but I'm not clear where the tunnel is. Is it located on 9 inside the park itself? If we are driving to Zion River RV Park from the north on 15 to 17 to 9 will I have to pass through the tunnel before getting to the RV Park? I will be using my car to travel to Springdale to enter the park. Also, when I leave Zion River RV Park with the motorhome can I travel east on 9 without going through the tunnel? We want to go to Kanab, UT when we leave Zion but I sense that we have to travel 9 to 59s to 389east to 89 to Kanab.

As you can see I am pretty confused so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
10 REPLIES 10

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Great info ... have a wonderful trip - it is beautiful country
Bob

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I feel better knowing we do not have to go through the tunnel with our motorhome.

Safe travels everyone,
Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest taking a day trip up through the tunnel to Mount Carmel and back. Great scenery.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
You'll do/be fine coming down 15 to 17 then 9. There's a nice market at the 17/9 junction, otherwise stopping in Cedar City or staying on 15 to 9 and driving through Hurricane are your best options.

Leaving, you'll need to head West on 9 again, then catch 59 as already suggested as your route to Kanab. Hopefully you'll be able to go visit the North Rim as part of your stay in that area.

The Zion River Resort is a very nicely managed park. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Depending on when you're there, you'll be very close to the road to Kolob Reservoir which passes through parts of Zion. It's off the beaten path in a good way, but they have a major construction project on that road this year. You'll also be close to the ghost town of Grafton, where they filmed the bicycle scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

If you'll be visiting Zion while the shuttles are running, it can be just as easy to park your car in the upper end of Springdale and walk through the park entrance rather than trying to park inside.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Great information, we are planning on making that trip this late May of this year.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your rig is too long. Max single vehicle is 40 feet. You will need to come in from St George side
Zion east entrance

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Recent video about goign through the tunnel by Chris Travels.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnel is inside the Park between Springdale on the west and Mount Carmel on the east. You have no issue getting to the Zion River RV Park in Virgin. As in the above link, you are not allowed drive a 45 ft MH through the tunnel. To get to Kanab, you will have to drive around on 59/389 and 89. An easy drive on those roads.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Directions and tunnel information
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
All about the tunnel
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed