cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah national parks trip in June

mark52
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting a few of Utah's national parks in June for the first time. Over two weeks, we will be staying in Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase/Escalante, and then Arches/Moab (in that order). Reservations have already been booked a couple of months ago and we would just love to get some ideas on some sights to see, short hikes, good 4WD trails, Etc. I did purchase a book on the parks and have a few ideas already but would love to hear of personal experiences. Thanks!
2018 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K "The moose"
The toad: 2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon lifted 4" with 33" tires
29 REPLIES 29

dedmiston
fanrgs wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Last year . . . my wife suggested we continue driving on the "Scenic Byway" on Highway 12. That sounded interesting.

Oh man.

Yes, it was scenic, but that Hogsback stretch of ridge line wasn't pleasant at all. It's a narrow ridge with sheer drops on both sides of the road and no guardrails. Not my cup of tea.
Heh, heh, UT 12 on that knife-edge ridge is one of my favorite scenic drives in Utah! We did it twice, with and without the trailer, and stopped at one turnout for photos. Unfortunately, the photos don't do it justice--we should have taken a 360-degree video.

Wow. I can't imagine towing a trailer on that road. Our 45' toy hauler would have been over the line most of the time on that twisty road. Good for you though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Last year . . . my wife suggested we continue driving on the "Scenic Byway" on Highway 12. That sounded interesting.

Oh man.

Yes, it was scenic, but that Hogsback stretch of ridge line wasn't pleasant at all. It's a narrow ridge with sheer drops on both sides of the road and no guardrails. Not my cup of tea.
Heh, heh, UT 12 on that knife-edge ridge is one of my favorite scenic drives in Utah! We did it twice, with and without the trailer, and stopped at one turnout for photos. Unfortunately, the photos don't do it justice--we should have taken a 360-degree video.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I did a big write up on Moab last year. Check it out here:

A primer on Moab
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

dedmiston
Last year we spent a week hiking at Bryce. It was fantastic. My kids hiked my wheels off. On one of the days, my wife suggested we take a break from hiking Bryce and go explore other areas. We drove to the petrified forest (and hiked!), and then my wife suggested we continue driving on the "Scenic Byway" on Highway 12. That sounded interesting.

Oh man.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoyed hiking the Narrows at Zion. Step carefully and have walking sticks. Also, I enjoyed taking my bike on the front of the bus to the Temple and riding (mostly coasting) all the way back.

In Bryce, consider a horse ride into the canyon. It sure beats walking back up.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
In Capital Reef, you might enjoy the South Draw-Pleasant Creek 4wd road and the Strike Valley Overlook road off the Burr Trail Road. In Canyonlands, you might try the White Rim road if you have lots of time or just the Potash Road if you don't.

We enjoyed the pull-thru, FHU sites in the campground at Kodachrome Basin SP and the Fruita cg at Capital Reef is nice, but no hookups. We stayed at the North cg at Bryce and walked/hiked a lot from there.

And don't miss camping at Dead Horse Point SP (take plenty of water, they don't provide it). It could be your favorite of all the parks for its incredible views!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you booked places! And got info. Doing all the things right.

We LOVE those places, been to each many times and going back again this year to some and will concentrate on them for 2019.

If you can, go to the north section of Zion as well.

Bryce - get out early and see it at sunrise. Will blow you away.

Actually, get out early for the morning glow at most anyplace (bet you can tell I am a photographer!).

There are lots of hikes in Bryce that you might like. One up there at about 9000 feet that is only 2 miles long I think but kinda steep....Queens Garden. We have hiked a lot over the years and it is one of the most beautiful hikes we have ever done. Even if you just go down a little ways and come back.

Arches is another favoite but Moab is a zoo.

Email or PM me if you wish. Enjoy those places - some of Nature's greatest beauty.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
For hiking trailertravelers hiking link has some good ones.

Outside of Escalante peekaboo, spooky and brimstone make a nice trio of slot hikes and nothing crazy. Spooky and Brimstone are just walks in the park although in some places tight walks in the park. Peekaboo perhaps the most scenic of the 3 is a bit more difficult as it involves a bit of scrambling crawling and twisting in places. However if you can get up in it you will be fine from there on. Also as you come down in the canyon from the trail head you can go up canyon into a nice canyon nothing like the other 3 but nice. There is also Tunnel and Zebra slots short slots but nice. More adventurous try Egypt 3 slot. Another nice walk is Harris Canyon. Driving out to Hole In the Rock (the same road all the previous slots are on) is kind of a kick especially if you read the book Hole In the Rock the adventure of the Mormons traveling from Escalante to the Bluff/Blanding area. When you see the Hole and know that they took wagons down it you will just scratch your head wondering. Also Calf Creek Falls upper and lower are not bad. The lower puts you at the bottom of the falls in a pool.

Over by Bryce (just south of Kodachrome) you have 3 slots that come to mind that while not a walk in the park are not difficult. One is Round Valley Draw this is a great one. You get the feel immediately as you descend into the crack after that the occasional choke stone to get over, around or under but except for a couple it is easy walking. Then you have Bull Valley Gorge nothing really hard here unless full of water then careful stepping should get you through ok when under the bridge make sure and look up at the truck that is up in it that in the 50's rolled down the opposite side hill and wedged in there (unfortunately several people died in that accident). Also Sheep creek there is an easy one though not as dramatic as the other two.

One of the Grand daddy slots is Buckskin Gulch down to the Paria and then up the Paria to the trail head. This is a fairly easy hike but it is very long from end to end. You could easily go in from either trail head and go in as far as you want then turn around and still see some good stuff.

Zion- the Narrows is a must do if you can, the farther you go up it the better it gets but even if you only go 1/2 a mile it is worth it. Angels Landing is another good hike there. The Subway is also an excellent hike but you will get wet, you will have to do some swimming if going all the way through but if you just travel up it from the lower trail head it is easy walking and you can get to the Subway proper without swimming anything, it is nice.

Moab area good hikes in the Needles District Druid Arch, Chesler Park, Devils Kitchen even if you only take the trail a mile worth it. 4wd trails Moab full of them many of them fairly hardcore but some easy ones as well. Gemini Bridges comes to mind as an easy one. Also the Schaefer trail not really 4wd just high clearance but a great drive as is the Long Canyon Trail down from Deadhorse Point which is a must see if in Moab You can loop Long Canyon and Schaefer for a loop or both end up on the Potash road that goes into Moab. On the South side of the River try Kane Creek up to Hurrah Pass and beyond if wanted it will take you all the way to the Needles District through Lockhart Basin. 4wd required but only in places.

So many things to do in those areas not enough time to do them all in a lifetime it seems.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice here.

Our first trip to Arches, drove from Moab up to the back entrance to Dead Horse Point in a rented Jeep. You'll pass some beautiful potash evaporation ponds. Well, the ponds aren't beautiful, but their turquoise color against the surroundings certainly is. If you saw the movie Thelma and Louise, you'll pass their "jumping off" spot.

That was pre-RV days. But that drive was why we knew when we bought our RV that we had to get a Wrangler to tow.

In May, 2004 (pre-retirement days) we visited the 4 Parks you mentioned in 2 weeks. That was long enough for us to get in some good hikes and back roads. Will you get to do everything? No. Will it give you a good idea of where you want to come back to for more? Yes. And we have. On that trip, Capitol Reef NP was just an overnight stop with a day and a half to explore. We've been back since then to enjoy the big name Parks, plus lesser know Parks in the area that we didn't have time to even think about, much less visit, on that first trip.

Enjoy as much as you can and plan to return for more.

Safe travels.
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to OP for starting this and to all who reply with suggestions/advice. We'll be in the area from mid-May to Mid-June with two other couples. Mostly dry camping on public lands. 4WD Tacoma and Jeep JK.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
And the most important thing you take with you, "PATIENCE". Because these parks will be packed.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend checking for Star Parties at Bryce and Zion on their websites. We have really enjoyed those dark sky adventures--using NPS telescopes also great.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
following
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some on Moab. Stop at the Moab Information Center in town for lots and lots of Jeep runs.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/utah/moab/off-road-driving

Purchase a Utah Benchmark Atlas which shows clearly good backroads to any of the areas; not particularly Jeep trails but good siteseeing roads. You're not going to have much time to concentrate on both Jeeping and hiking.

Each national parks has a wonderful website with things to do. Check them out.

You could also purchase the 'Wells' book of 4WD trails in this area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel