cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah or Ariz camping in Dec for the comet: advice?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supposedly, Comet ISON may put up a show in early December -- comets are hard to predict. But if it does (and even if it doesn't!), I want to head to dark skies in the desert for some photos. So here is my wish list -- dark skies, not too cold, good horizons without mountains or cliffs (since the comet will be low in the sky at dusk and dawn), good hiking during the day. We don't need campgrounds -- in fact, we prefer boondocking.

So, for example, the Gooseneck area would be great, except that there is not a lot of hiking nearby. Or Canyonlands would be great, except that the cliffs block the horizon.

So what would you recommend?? Thanks in advance!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
21 REPLIES 21

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Also in Canyonlands, Needles section, there's Squaw Flat CG (has a size limit of 26’ if I remember correctly.) Or maybe that's what you referred to about the cliffs blocking?

But I would go to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. Very remote, hiking amid the mothership of ancestral Puebloan ruins. Amazing place. The ranger station has an observatory and they do extensive Night Sky programs.

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
Stay in Flagstaff, AZ and take Hwy 89 towards Cameron. No light pollution. We observed Halley's Comet from the highway many years ago.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
When we were at Bryce, one of the rangers told us they had one of the best skies w/r/t light pollution.

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Lake Pleasant has too much ambient light from Phoenix. It would probably be much better out at high desert areas that are farther from the city. Maybe Lake Roosevelt.

There is primitive camping on the shoreline at Roosevelt at Horse Pasture. (coordinates: 33.745851,-111.22547)

Would be dark skies with plenty of recreation in the area.
Jack and Nina

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Ken, good call on Island in the Sky -- I had not considered that area! I wonder how I could plot the locations of the drilling rigs. They don't show up on Google Earth, as far as I can tell.

The drill pads move as they complete work on a given area. When we were there a couple of weeks ago, there was a rig working near where the Gemini Bridges road turns off, maybe a dozen miles up UT 313. We weren't up there in the dark, so we didn't see if there were others. Of course if you're in the NP, there are no rigs there. That's why Grandview Point would also work. And how about camping at Dead Horse Point NP if you can get by with just electric.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
How far do you want to drive?
Anza Borrego should be clear.
You need a clear dark view of the southeast 1 to 2 hours before sunrise
across Virgo,close to Spica
It is only visible in the pre dawn.
I plan on being a little east of Casa Grande.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ken, good call on Island in the Sky -- I had not considered that area! I wonder how I could plot the locations of the drilling rigs. They don't show up on Google Earth, as far as I can tell.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Or Canyonlands would be great, except that the cliffs block the horizon.

We viewed Hale-Bopp in 1997 from the Canyonland's area. My brother took such amazing pictures they blew up and displayed a couple of them in the place where he got his film developed (remember film??) If you're up on Island in the Sky and not down by the river, it can be incredibly dark. Maybe drive out to Grand View Point in the early morning and view the comet to the SE, then the sun rise over the canyons. How about Dead Horse Point? Either way, there are many dark places up there, although with the oil drilling and production facilities up there now, you have to move away from the pads to ensure real darkness.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Justin's is next to Saguaro NP West and also Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Hum???? We like to cross country ski and snowshoe by moonlight, but have never tried it by "comet light"! Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Justin's Diamond J RV park west of Tucson just off the Ajo highway. It is dark and quiet and next to a government (Park --BLM-?) area with lots of hiking trails.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Tucson has two major observatories; maybe there is a reason! Kitt Peak and then south of town about 30 miles is Mt. Whipple. We live out near Mt. Whipple. There are even laws in our area to limit the light to the skies so as to not affect Whipple.

But we are in civilization and not the desert!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Pangaea Ron wrote:
profdant139

I'd stay at The Goosenecks, drive up the Moki Dugway, and then out to Muley Point to watch the comet.

While the dirt road to Muley Point was somewhat ruff when I drove there about 5 years ago. There is several good places to camp.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:

So, for example, the Gooseneck area would be great, except that there is not a lot of hiking nearby.

You can always drive to the Valley of the Gods and hike there. Or drive up to Natural Bridge NP and hike around the Natural Bridge. Lots of good trails, more than this old man can hike.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos