Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart overnight stays allowed or not allowed

1critter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there

I get so many conflicting reports about some do some dont and you can buy a book here that tells you or download a app that will tell you (at a cost of course)

Is there anywhere I can find out for free???

Thanks!
C.
70 REPLIES 70

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the OP's question...

My advice is to call the store. Ask for the store Manager and get his / her name. Write their name down and keep it. Ask them where they would like you to park your rig if you visit their store for the night.

Easy peasy, IMHO
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
We have been rv'n for 23 yrs and have never stayed at a wal mart or any other parking lot. We're certainly not rich. But figure if we can afford a rv we can afford to stay in an rv park. Besides who wants to be rousted out in the middle of the night and forced to move..No parking lots for us.
If it aint broke fix it till it is

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Around Fredricksberg TX, the local cop knocking on the door at 2:00 AM won't be there to get you to move down the road. He will be handing you a $100 ticket. A lot of cities are doing this (most of California and Florida) because it is easy income, and makes their voters happy that the "black tank dumpers" are kept at bay.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
There is a wonderful up to date and as complete as you can get Walmart parking reference done be Bill Halberstadt it is available several places, but if you are using a GPS or one of the navigator packages, then go to Discovery Owners and download the file for your system. He also maintains a group on another forum. Google should find that for you.

We Wally Dock a lot as we are travelers and not so much campers.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
McZippie wrote:

We have been parking lot camping all over Florida, Walgreens, closed gas stations and fast food restaurants are all good.....

Respectively have to disagree with you that ALL accept over night RV parking. Don't know what 'area' in Florida you are RV'ing in but not ALL of them allow overnight parking. In fact in my travels as a full timer Florida has the most Walmarts that do not allow overnight parking.

Central Florida. I've found that just pull into any parking lot with an RV and the police are right there during Snowbird season.

Walmart outside of Brooksville,Fl off I-75.
I pulled in to a Wallmart at 9:00 in the morning that had a sign 'no over night parking' JUST GO GROCERY SHOPPING.

I was met by the local police and the Walmart rent a cop.......said I could not park there.

I explained I was just going into to buy groceries, NOT to park overnight. Nope they said I had to leave. I asked if that meant they were refusing me to SHOP at Walmart? Their answer? Go home and get your car and come back!!!:S

I asked if they were blind and could not see my plates were from Wisconsin and 3,500 miles was a bit of a long drive back and get my car to be able to shop at their @%$# store........I almost got arrested for saying that to the cop.:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
McZippie wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
McZippie wrote:
When camping overnight at Walmart we never ask for permission and disregard the no overnight parking signs. Never had a problem. We also camp overnight at many other box stores and shopping centers. No one cares, they are asphalt parking lots that are open to the public.

Come on down to Florida and try that! :B

And BTW: They are 'privately owned' parking lots NOT public parking lots. The owners/lessee's of the property get to set what ever rules they want. :W

We have been parking lot camping all over Florida, Walgreens, closed gas stations and fast food restaurants are all good. Of the hundreds of nights we have been camping only a hand full have been in paid campgrounds.
BTW I didn't write that they were public parking lots.

Now you're talkin'! That's the way to do it. Long ago I adopted a policy of; don't ask, don't tell.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Desertboy wrote:
Just out of Curiosity what do they say when they come out there to run you off? Do the police come? Or just the manager? I can fully understand why they do this Im just curious how it goes down.

After these guys come crashin' through your windows and drag you out of your rig, everybody sorta plays it by ear.

Nobody bothers any RV @ Walmart. 4 out of 5 millionaires will choose Walmart Supercenters for overnight camping versus an overpriced commercial RV lot.

In Florida at Walmarts, I've been hassled, but not ever ordered to leave. Pull the drapes and go to sleep. They do not bother the elderly in unattended vehicles. Just the dopers in the hippy vans.

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
McZippie wrote:
When camping overnight at Walmart we never ask for permission and disregard the no overnight parking signs. Never had a problem. We also camp overnight at many other box stores and shopping centers. No one cares, they are asphalt parking lots that are open to the public.

Come on down to Florida and try that! :B

And BTW: They are 'privately owned' parking lots NOT public parking lots. The owners/lessee's of the property get to set what ever rules they want. :W

We have been parking lot camping all over Florida, Walgreens, closed gas stations and fast food restaurants are all good. Of the hundreds of nights we have been camping only a hand full have been in paid campgrounds.
BTW I didn't write that they were public parking lots.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Of course, I know Cottonwood isn't Sedona, but it's the closest town with a Walmart.

Perhaps I didn't understand your comment...."You think they would do that in Sedona to."

Maybe you could explain.
Sedona don't want the likes of a RV parked in a parking lot over night.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alfred622 wrote:
Instead of calling ahead (where it is easy to say "no"), how about walking into the Walmart, get an empty cart, walk over to customers service and ask there (or meet the manager with an empty cart). If they say no, then leave the cart, if yes, then buy your groceries or other items in that store?

Tough call. Do you leave an empty cart & walk out or do you shop first & go to customer service before you check out & abandon a full unpaid for cart if they say no?

Not being a frequent Wallycamper we usually check with an empty cart in hand, sometimes a full & paid for load. Either way never turned down, even late in the afternoon.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of calling ahead (where it is easy to say "no"), how about walking into the Walmart, get an empty cart, walk over to customers service and ask there (or meet the manager with an empty cart). If they say no, then leave the cart, if yes, then buy your groceries or other items in that store?
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, I know Cottonwood isn't Sedona, but it's the closest town with a Walmart.

Perhaps I didn't understand your comment...."You think they would do that in Sedona to."

Maybe you could explain.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lol that's awesome,
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Desertboy wrote:
Just out of Curiosity what do they say when they come out there to run you off? Do the police come? Or just the manager? I can fully understand why they do this Im just curious how it goes down.

After these guys come crashin' through your windows and drag you out of your rig, everybody sorta plays it by ear.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Supercharged....There is no Walmart in Sedona. However, the Cottonwood Walmart DOES allow overnight RV parking.
Cottonwood isn't Sedona.
So big a world, so little time to see.