Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want to plan a winter snowmobile trip to the Black Hills

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello everyone. Merry Christmas!!!

This is not really a camping related thread, more of a destination question. We have snowmobiles and usually do a trip to Northern WI and the U.P. Well Iโ€™ve been considering the idea of doing a new years trip one of these years to the Black Hills. Weโ€™ve been to the BHโ€™s before and love it but I want to see it in winter. My question is will there be enough snow in the Hills the end of Dec/beginning of Jan. to sled on? Iโ€™ve been doing some research and havenโ€™t really found much about snowfall amounts. Iโ€™m thinking in the HillCity, Keystone, Custer areas.

As far as hotels/Cabins Iโ€™m looking for something that is accessible to the trails, jump on the sled and go!

Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
9 REPLIES 9

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to check out/join up at Snowgoer.com (sister publication to TL) Go onto their forums and ask there as well. I seem to recall they did a story on that area not too terribly long ago, or it's listed under their vacation/destination section in recent mag or 2.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
I rode out of Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Link

Nice place right on the trails. Usually there is snow in the hills when there may be little or nothing at lower elevations. You can ride all the trails in a couple of days. Beware of riding off trail, there is an abundance of tree stumps hiding just below the surface.

We stopped there during the bike rally and asked about snowmobiling. Bottom line, they told us to call before coming as snowfall there can be unpredictable...just like everything else.
I was looking at their trail map and it looked like there was a good number of areas to explore.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

This is not really a camping related thread, more of a destination question. We have snowmobiles and usually do a trip to Northern WI and the U.P. Well Iโ€™ve been considering the idea of doing a new years trip one of these years to the Black Hills. Weโ€™ve been to the BHโ€™s before and love it but I want to see it in winter. My question is will there be enough snow in the Hills the end of Dec/beginning of Jan. to sled on? Iโ€™ve been doing some research and havenโ€™t really found much about snowfall amounts. Iโ€™m thinking in the HillCity, Keystone, Custer areas.

As far as hotels/Cabins Iโ€™m looking for something that is accessible to the trails, jump on the sled and go!

Thanks!

If you don't find what you're looking for in the Black Hills, you may want to consider the snowmobiling capital of Colorado...Grand Lake. There's packages you can get with motels/machine rentals, or if you have your own sleds, there's more than a few motels there for winter fun. And in Grand Lake, it is legal to ride your sled on the town streets. And you can go from your motel to the trails, which begin just outside of town. I've done it multiple times over the years, and it's such a wonderful experience.

^^^^^^ GREAT ADVICE ^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in the northern Hills the snow is still unusually thin, the central and southern Hills will be worse.

Note that the conditions can change in a day with the right weather.

I saw a thing on Microsoft that said we were one of the top ten snowiest locations in the US. I don't know what they used to qualify that, but we do usually get nearly 200 inches a year.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I rode out of Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Link

Nice place right on the trails. Usually there is snow in the hills when there may be little or nothing at lower elevations. You can ride all the trails in a couple of days. Beware of riding off trail, there is an abundance of tree stumps hiding just below the surface.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom,
There are no trails, rarely enough snow in the southern Hills. You should look to the Lead/Deadwood areas or west along us 85, trailshead , recreational adventures, or at parks south of Deadwood on 385. Lotsof trail connections, rv sites in the parks open there.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the option Thom. I had thought about that, but wasnโ€™t sure. Iโ€™ll look into it. And yes we have 3 sleds.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks!

If you don't find what you're looking for in the Black Hills, you may want to consider the snowmobiling capital of Colorado...Grand Lake. There's packages you can get with motels/machine rentals, or if you have your own sleds, there's more than a few motels there for winter fun. And in Grand Lake, it is legal to ride your sled on the town streets. And you can go from your motel to the trails, which begin just outside of town. I've done it multiple times over the years, and it's such a wonderful experience.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can sled if there is enough snow near your cabin In the new year and have a gud time Hill city has train museum too
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad