cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What rights do campers have in regards to reservations.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been spending the last eight years on the Parker Strip in Arizona for the month of March. We meet with about seven other friends every year. The people who are in our spot always leave at the end of Feb. My wife got a call from the RV Park today and the girl at the desk said we were going to have to move about a quarter mile north from our friends because the people want to stay another month. Do we have any recourse? We already paid in full.
42 REPLIES 42

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Did you call the park to resolve the problem.....we're all waiting !

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sad but I just had an experience with a reservation. We and another couple had stopped in to Tombstone Territories RV Resort last November and, in person, made a 5 night reservation over New Years for two toy haulers. My receipt displayed the space number I wanted.

Last Friday we showed up to camp and an Allegro Bus was in my spot. I was furious and let the front desk know it. They had no excuse why I was moved out of my reserved space to a space on the other side of the park. I demanded satisfaction. They finally got me a satisfactory space near our friends and gave our party 1/2 off the total price.

I met the owners of the Bus and they were very nice. They told me they were in an assigned a spot with a terrible view and requested a better space with a view and was given mine.

I see how it works: Allegro Bus $$$$ trumps Toy Hauler $. I told the desk we wouldn't be returning to their park, which was otherwise very nice.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
In the parks I have worked at( several in the past 7 years) the people already on the site would be told they are welcome to stay, but they must move to another available site because the one they are on is already reserved for the month of March and not available. They are not handling this in the proper manner and I would call and politely ask why the above is not how it is being handled. It is possible there was a new employee involved who did not know the proper way this should be handled.

^^^this right here is the way it should go down.
Jay D.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good example to test your people skills. You have to be polite and appeal to the guy and creat empathy for your situation. A good park will help you out. A lot of them won't.

The one that gets me is to pay for say 4 nights in a park and then it is really loud. There have been freight trains, highway noise, barking dogs, etc. There are rarely any refunds. For these reasons I rarely stay in a park more than one night and pay as I go.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
oh jeeze, how many pages are we going to debate this sillyness. Haven't received any updates from the OP about his talks with the park, just defensive responses to sound and logical advice. There have been no updates because it was Christmas and we were very busy. I was hoping for some sound legal advice from someone who had experienced this sort of thing. We have been RVing since 1987 and have never ran into a situation like this. We have a recipe with no fine print that says we paid in full for site # __ for the month of March. We will not ask everyone to move with us but know that my family member would move because of this. Here is the rub. With 500,000 new RV's hitting the road every year and no mew parks being built, things are going to get ugly. Between poor repair facilities and reservation problems like this, our hobby of snowbirding is starting to lose its appeal. I guess it is time to seriously look at boon docking. I know these people who run these parks can do anything they want but to be treated in this manner after being a loyal customer for so long leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: fix typo, thanks 2oldman ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
advice
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
oh jeeze, how many pages are we going to debate this sillyness. Haven't received any updates from the OP about his talks with the park, just defensive responses to sound and logical advice.

Edit: fix typo, thanks 2oldman ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i think its time for judge judy to get involved. all our legal advise is not work 2 cents.
talk with the owner ans see if it can be resolved if not you have some tough decisions only you can make.

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
The point isn't how far it is to walk - the point is - they reserved the spot. I wonder if the Original Poster asked to speak to the supervisor or owner - I may have missed that - I'd go up the chain - Yes, call = But I do feel people take letters more seriously - you can be polite - tell the facts - It's certainly more convenient to go next door to chat. I agree the employee was probably just trying to make it easy for themselves - didn't want to say no to the person sitting on the site.

I have been asked to move also - when the person who had the actual reservation was coming into the site.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Move 1/4 mi North ~ same park ~ 6-7 min walk ~ everyone healthy ???? Oh My !!!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
This posting is a very good example of what Reality TV has done to common sense and how people interact. The "Reality" TV will only get viewers if the "cast" is always very emotional and in a constant conflict. As an person who employed 100's of workers my biggest personal task was to "un-learn" the conduct that my employees had learned from TV. A few employees had to be terminated because they continued to act out what they learned from Reality TV.

Be civil and I am sure the campground owner will work with you to solve the problem.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
A reservation is a reservation. The people already occupying the spot need to move..
So far it appears this would be correct. It's not the easy thing, it's the right thing, as mentioned previously. The office is trying to do the easy thing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Not all damages are monetary as one responder seems to imply, and implying one is stupid is a relly good way to make friends, whether it is on a discussion board or in person. Poor taste and rude!

That said, is it worth going to the amount of trouble this will entail? Of course you are right if what you say is indeed what you have. It is a 'contract' even it lacks all the leagal jargon associated with a formal contract. Speak with the owner, explain your position and ask if the young woman you spoke with failed to notice your existing reservation.
If this approach does not wprk then it looks like you move or take legal action - which will likely result in your winning in the short but losing in the long terms.

I agree with doxiemom11 and the above post, I do , however, wonder why Parker is so important to you and the others in your group and do you really have to be at that campground. Is it habit or tradition or is there some other reason. Maybe it is time, considering the new managements actions that you adjust this year and pick a new spot close by or some other area and settle in there next year. If the eight of you agree to all move on next year, then exert whatever rights you may have and maybe you'll win this year but know you have a backup for next year if it is a win-lose situation. That's just my never to be humble opinion.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all damages are monetary as one responder seems to imply, and implying one is stupid is a relly good way to make friends, whether it is on a discussion board or in person. Poor taste and rude!

That said, is it worth going to the amount of trouble this will entail? Of course you are right if what you say is indeed what you have. It is a 'contract' even it lacks all the leagal jargon associated with a formal contract. Speak with the owner, explain your position and ask if the young woman you spoke with failed to notice your existing reservation.
If this approach does not wprk then it looks like you move or take legal action - which will likely result in your winning in the short but losing in the long terms.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow