cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wintering in Nevada

justmibo
Explorer
Explorer
RVers beware. We have spent the last 2 years wintering in a great RV Park in Pahrump Nv. Comes to our attention by Nevada DMV that non residents spending more than 30 days in Nevada must register and tag their vehicles subject to $1000 fine.
10 REPLIES 10

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if you dig deep enough, most states have a law like Nevada's. Mine does. They want the revenue now from people moving there who are going to be residents. They don't want to wait until the new resident's old license plates or driver's licenses expire.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:

Nevada DMV wrote:
Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 "Resident" defined.

1."Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
a.Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
b.Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
c.Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
d.Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.

2.The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

When traveling, snowbirding... we are Tourists.

Folks.....read #2....this does not apply to tourists.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Its ok guys, i have you covered after registering my mh at over $4k a year, not counting all the other vehicles and motorcycles we have to register. In my mind its a non issue, they passed a law that out of state work trucks were supposed to buy a sticker when working in Nv and i have yet to see one and we hve multiple out of state vehicles around Elko because of the mines. Never see them stopped by NHP.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. I'm in a Escapee Park in Pahrump, been there a whole longer then 3 weeks. My camper has Texas plates. The majority of the people in this park are from Oregon, or Washington, and just about every state you can think of. And most stay all winter and summers too. So if the state of Nevada some more income, here's there chance. Now if Nevada starts enforcing this law, we'll just go somewhere else. It's kind of like shooting yourself in your foot (Nevada).

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
justmibo wrote:
RVers beware. We have spent the last 2 years wintering in a great RV Park in Pahrump Nv. Comes to our attention by Nevada DMV that non residents spending more than 30 days in Nevada must register and tag their vehicles subject to $1000 fine.

You need to actually read the law you posted what you said is not true

"The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident."

Thanks for actually seeing, reading and understanding.

Here it is again and is actually explained very well;

Nevada DMV wrote:

1."Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
a.Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
b.Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
c.Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
d.Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.

2.The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

When traveling, snowbirding... we are Tourists.

Lets not over think this.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
justmibo wrote:

"The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident."

Read the Non-Residents
Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
justmibo wrote:

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
That may be true, but we spent 7 weeks in Las Vegas this pass spring without any problems.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer