cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wondering about impact of Harvey and Irma

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the first time I had toyed with the idea of snowbirding on the Texas coast or south Florida. Needless to say we did a 180.

So, I called to make reservations in one of our usual AZ winter parks. Glad we called. The area we like is usually wide open in December. Had a heck of a time finding an acceptable spot. Reservationist said they were really filling up early.

That got me to wondering about the impact of the two hurricanes on snowbirds in Texas and Florida. I did do a check using rvparkreviews.com on areas around Rock Port, Corpus, the Keys and up the west coast of Florida. In the Keys I did a rough count of maybe 1,500 sites. Didn't try to do a count around Rock Port and CC but must be in the thousands. I just gave up. I know there is a full two months before peak season. Lots of work can be done and marginally damaged parks reopened, but...

My question is for those of you in snowbird in the affected areas. What can you report about what you know about your favorite parks?

Good thoughts to all of you who have been affected.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
50 REPLIES 50

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Tucson is ALWAYS cooler than Phoenix area - higher elevation. Casa Grande doesn't have an much of a heat island as all of the ares in the "Valley of the Sun" do, so it is always about 5=10 cooler during Dec-Feb. But we aren't talking about "cold". And different people have different feels about how warm they want their rig during the night. For us, after 13 yrs in Michigan, we don't call anything cold that is above zero. And we turn heat way down at hight and just ad an extra blanket if needed.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
tomman58 wrote:

Missed the point we also have plenty to do, most parks do but we can do it outside, in AZ night in the desert gets cold fast , real fast, RGV 30 mphg winds are a distraction and in Fl we can use our gazebo for cards, games or just chating at night but as I stated it is winter and you day light ends around 5:30 besides our park offers free beer and pop at all our events and shows plus free ice always.

Not in the Mesa area where we stay. We usually talk our last walk at 9 or 9:30 pm - during January that means a jacket, but otherwise it is warm in the evening. Not saying it won't be nippy by morning, but the evening is not the problem. Now if you are up at altitude, then it gets colder quicker.

Went through significant propane in Casa Grande and Tucson.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:

Missed the point we also have plenty to do, most parks do but we can do it outside, in AZ night in the desert gets cold fast , real fast, RGV 30 mphg winds are a distraction and in Fl we can use our gazebo for cards, games or just chating at night but as I stated it is winter and you day light ends around 5:30 besides our park offers free beer and pop at all our events and shows plus free ice always.

Not in the Mesa area where we stay. We usually talk our last walk at 9 or 9:30 pm - during January that means a jacket, but otherwise it is warm in the evening. Not saying it won't be nippy by morning, but the evening is not the problem. Now if you are up at altitude, then it gets colder quicker.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
John I Haggerty wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
try to remember no matter where you are by 5:30 it is dark and the day ends unless you have an active RV park. Been in Az and dark mean cold and fast. been in Tx and dark is dark in RGV not so much as their flea markets close (big deal down there.

Good point. In my Winter home in the RGV there is more foot traffic on the streets after dark than before, as people exercise and visit the various facilities for entertainment and games. We get some cold weather, but if it is warm during the day, it is warm in the evening. Which is most of the time.

Wow, 5:30 and nothing to do? I'm outta there! For me it's decision time; volley ball or tennis or pickle ball or the pool with pool side live music or dancing or cards or the wood shop or going fishing or having friends over or etc... I'm not going to sit around and watch my latter years disappear without a fight!

Reminds me of an old joke "so does your headlights stop working when it gets dark?" That's the problem with getting older one's night vision starts failing. Add to that the feeling that you're no-longer in Kansas, and most older snowbirds don't venture far from the compound.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
John I Haggerty wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
try to remember no matter where you are by 5:30 it is dark and the day ends unless you have an active RV park. Been in Az and dark mean cold and fast. been in Tx and dark is dark in RGV not so much as their flea markets close (big deal down there.

Good point. In my Winter home in the RGV there is more foot traffic on the streets after dark than before, as people exercise and visit the various facilities for entertainment and games. We get some cold weather, but if it is warm during the day, it is warm in the evening. Which is most of the time.

Wow, 5:30 and nothing to do? I'm outta there! For me it's decision time; volley ball or tennis or pickle ball or the pool with pool side live music or dancing or cards or the wood shop or going fishing or having friends over or etc... I'm not going to sit around and watch my latter years disappear without a fight!

2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:

2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc wrote:
jdb7566 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
pawatt wrote:
The 400 parks of the Rio Grande Valley were untouched by the hurricane and flooding. Come see what you are missing. Warmer, friendlier and greener than AZ.
You're a moderator and you just slammed AZ and the people of AZ? Not a good thing to do; looks bad on your part. I've always been a strong supporter of TX and we vacation in TX. I would never talk down TX to build up AZ. Thanks for nothing, moderator.

If telling the truth is a "slam", then so-be-it.

Truth is AZ does NOT have bugs in the winter, Texas & Florida DO! This winter after the heavy rains both are going to be worst than normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_4Nrz4gMIU

rocmoc n AZ

Yak,yak,yak............ try to remember no matter where you are by 5:30 it is dark and the day ends unless you have an active RV park. Been in Az and dark mean cold and fast. been in Tx and dark is dark in RGV not so much as their flea markets close (big deal down there.
Im Fl dark is dark most night warm, a few bugs but not bad as we sit outside in a lit gazebo, but the great thing is a very active RV park.

Bottom line try them all there are snowbirds most everywhere.
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
jdb7566 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
pawatt wrote:
The 400 parks of the Rio Grande Valley were untouched by the hurricane and flooding. Come see what you are missing. Warmer, friendlier and greener than AZ.
You're a moderator and you just slammed AZ and the people of AZ? Not a good thing to do; looks bad on your part. I've always been a strong supporter of TX and we vacation in TX. I would never talk down TX to build up AZ. Thanks for nothing, moderator.

Truth is AZ does NOT have bugs in the winter, Texas & Florida DO! This winter after the heavy rains both are going to be worst than normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_4Nrz4gMIU

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are currently 78 Florida State Parks that are open or have reopened for day use only.

Storm Information | Florida State Parks

There are currently 14 Florida State Parks that are open for free camping by hurricane displaced campers only on a day by day basis.

Campers Displaced by Hurricane Irma | Florida State Parks
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Every area has pluses and minus but after many years we've settled on Fl. So many from our state are at our RV park. Many more of our friends have moved there or have a winter house. AZ we see every other year as our son lives in Tucson, RGV has just to much wind for us and again just some folks from our state and lacked the diversity of FL.
Fl is more rounded out and seems to offer more for snowbirds no matter what part of the state. Money at our age isn't as important as it once was.
We spend 3500 for the year, we can stay for 6 months and leave the rig on site the rest of the year if we wish plus we have a shed and gazebo to make it seem more homey
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am not that familiar with Arizona, but I have wintered in both Florida and Texas. I did not find anything in the Sunshine State that was even close to the $1,000 for three months with full hookups that are available in the RGV.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The RGV is friendlier than FL or AZ.

The RGV may be warmer than AZ but not FL only if you discount wind chill.

The RGV is greener than AZ if they've had rain. (One year we went there and it was just dirt).

I like the desert. This year we're going to AZ and next year RGV.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
pawatt wrote:

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Unfortunately, I was looking at the Keys area. Guess I'll take a look at it next year.

You going to be at Canyon Vistas this winter? Chris

Nope won't be there. Just too pricey.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!