cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worst Campgrounds in CA

Rich4UandMe
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the campgrounds in California have small tight sites and have waiting lists. There are some campgrounds that have a poor opinion of campers, odd but true. I am a full time RV'er due to my job leasing an apartment is almost stupid. I RV because not only do I like camping but it's a necessity. I am currently staying at the Oceanside RV Park. My neighbors are all good people. We have a service dog and We live in a Car Hauler. Because it is what it is campgrounds discriminate against us because in a word no-windows. We that is due to the stability of the platform. This vehicle must be super strong to haul a car from place to place. The campground we live in is no different than any we have experienced in California so far. However, in this case we have been told there is too much stuff outside of the camper in the patio area. There is stuff outside like Bass Master Pro outdoor folding chairs with outdoor cushions we purchased from Lowe's. We were told that is not outdoor furniture and why do we need that anyhow? The picnic table provided is round and difficult to find comfortable cushions for the seating that is also rounded and very large that takes up a lot of room. The next thing is the owner seems to think parking other camper so close to the back of ours is OK and we have no need to open the back door where a lot of our stuff is kept. So when that occurred more than a few times we took things from the back and left it outside so we could get to it. The wife makes wind chimes and Jewelry. So a lot of the inventor for that is outside. That was deemed inappropriate. Our Service dog was said not to be a service dog and why do we need a service dog there is no reason for it. My wife is handicapped and has a severe arterial clotting issue. The dog maintains emotional rescue to her. We provided documentation to that effect and we were told that we didn't have to prove our charge of the dog. However, this owner forced the issue and we did provide it. The sad thing is that there are so many campers there that are so much more than us and were not approached. If they were all approached the camp would be fairly empty. The showers there are so dirty and lacking in ADA quality, with smells of the plunger in the men's room are disturbing. The dirt on the floor is just...thick I guess would be the best way to describe it. The owners mean report was not something we expected from a business person. There are NO events that occur like other campgrounds. The only events are brought together by the campers in the campground and young staff members. It's really a shame that expectations of the campers are so high but expectations of the staff are never seen. The office is less to be desired. So much more could be in that huge room. There is a Laundry room but getting change to operate is up to the campers. There is no change machine nor is there change provided in the office. My wife refers this as a parking lot with large slots. The flora is so dense in some areas and sparse in others. Much doesn't make sense how it was laid out. The grills available. I am not sure how that works. I definitely wasn't going to use any of that. Clean? Doubt it. There is a pool and I have to say the cleanest I have ever seen in the pool. There is also a hot tub and it is definitely hot I am told. However, there is one and how many people? OK you get the point there. There is a room for group planning, a pool table pay by use, and foose ball to. If there was a star rating though I'd give it one.
16 REPLIES 16

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Forum Rules:
Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.

This thread is now closed.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Op has stated he has resorted to legal avenues. Good luck proving any of them
Mods,
Close the thread

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quit feeling sorry for yourself and suck it up and move.

Sorry if that sounds unfeeling, but that is why the rigs have wheels.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suggest that if you've contacted an attorney, that you DO NOT post about the RV park, your situation, etc. Anything you post here can be twisted and turned against you if the case goes to court. I would recommend that you ask the Admin to remove this thread. I understand your need to vent, but at this point, anything you write here can do you more harm than good.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Rich4UandMe
Explorer
Explorer
I think due to emotion in my original description of the issue I left out many things. So let me Clarify:
1. The car hauler has a bathroom, kitchen, all just like a toy hauler. The only difference is the weight it can carry. Also it is a 2014 trailer and not a piece of crap.
2. I know the difference in the designators for service animals. Although my dog is an emotional dog she has all of the right that a service dog has. She is registered.
3. I would love to move to a more preferable location but we got established with medical facilities here in Oceanside and moving will cause a hardship as it would for many people that are being harassed in the park.
4. I have been camping since 1979 and have been to campgrounds all over the US and have probably stayed in many that most of you don't even know about.
5. I visited a lawyer today due to an escalation in the issue. The Owner walked in on my wife in the shower and started screaming at her, for what I don't know. She tried to enter the shower stall and my wife was not dressed. She then proceeded to leave the bathroom door open to allow people from the outside to see my wife undressed.
6. The ADA issue has been escalated since and we have been told that walkers and wheel chairs left outside are inappropriate.
7. We have been told that Bass Master Pro Shops Folding Chairs are not outdoor furniture. So if you come to the Oceanside RV park it is best to not sit on anything except the round picnic table.

We also have friends in the park and because they associated with me have now received similar problems and have been told they must leave.

As a customer service manager I understand the need for good public relations. I also understand the need to get rid of monthly campers vs. daily or weekly rate people. The park is 75% full at this time and is shrinking. How can that be good? Why can't people in this hospitality field act like people with compassion? I will probably be forced to move into a rental home for a while. I just don't like leases. I have the option to move to Lake Elsinore where there is a greater selection and I have stayed before.

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Simply put, a car hauler with no windows is NOT an RV (no egress for fire purposes, for example) and I'm surprised there are any RV parks at all that will let you in. As far as I can tell, they're already leaning things in your favor. Maybe YOUR approach is the one needing adjusting.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
Rich4UandMe wrote:
Many of the campgrounds in California have small tight sites and have waiting lists. There are some campgrounds that have a poor opinion of campers, odd but true.

I am a full time RV'er due to my job leasing an apartment is almost stupid. I RV because not only do I like camping but it's a necessity. I am currently staying at the Oceanside RV Park. My neighbors are all good people. We have a service dog and We live in a Car Hauler.

Because it is what it is campgrounds discriminate against us because in a word no-windows. We that is due to the stability of the platform. This vehicle must be super strong to haul a car from place to place. The campground we live in is no different than any we have experienced in California so far.

However, in this case we have been told there is too much stuff outside of the camper in the patio area. There is stuff outside like Bass Master Pro outdoor folding chairs with outdoor cushions we purchased from Lowe's. We were told that is not outdoor furniture and why do we need that anyhow? The picnic table provided is round and difficult to find comfortable cushions for the seating that is also rounded and very large that takes up a lot of room.

The next thing is the owner seems to think parking other camper so close to the back of ours is OK and we have no need to open the back door where a lot of our stuff is kept. So when that occurred more than a few times we took things from the back and left it outside so we could get to it.

The wife makes wind chimes and Jewelry. So a lot of the inventor for that is outside. That was deemed inappropriate.

Our Service dog was said not to be a service dog and why do we need a service dog there is no reason for it. My wife is handicapped and has a severe arterial clotting issue. The dog maintains emotional rescue to her. We provided documentation to that effect and we were told that we didn't have to prove our charge of the dog. However, this owner forced the issue and we did provide it.

The sad thing is that there are so many campers there that are so much more than us and were not approached. If they were all approached the camp would be fairly empty.

The showers there are so dirty and lacking in ADA quality, with smells of the plunger in the men's room are disturbing. The dirt on the floor is just...thick I guess would be the best way to describe it.

The owners mean report was not something we expected from a business person.

There are NO events that occur like other campgrounds. The only events are brought together by the campers in the campground and young staff members. It's really a shame that expectations of the campers are so high but expectations of the staff are never seen.

The office is less to be desired. So much more could be in that huge room. There is a Laundry room but getting change to operate is up to the campers. There is no change machine nor is there change provided in the office.

My wife refers this as a parking lot with large slots. The flora is so dense in some areas and sparse in others. Much doesn't make sense how it was laid out. The grills available. I am not sure how that works. I definitely wasn't going to use any of that. Clean? Doubt it.

There is a pool and I have to say the cleanest I have ever seen in the pool. There is also a hot tub and it is definitely hot I am told. However, there is one and how many people? OK you get the point there.

There is a room for group planning, a pool table pay by use, and foose ball to. If there was a star rating though I'd give it one.

First off, even breaking your post out into paragraphs for readability, your post is very confusing and hard to understand.

Second, it is very likely that a private RV park (not a campground) is going to frown upon a car hauler being used as an RV. Folks in non-traditional, non-new, etc. setups will be biased against - fairly or unfairly.

Third, there is a difference between a Service dog and a Therapy dog and a Emotional Support dog. If you are calling an Emotional Support dog by the term "Service dog", you are misrepresenting the dog's status. Just because your wife is disabled that does not make the dog a service dog. If the only role the dog is performing is to provide emotional support to your wife, then the dog is an Emotional Support dog and not a Service dog. Here is a breakdown of the differences: http://pleasedontpetme.com/differences.php

Fourth, many RV Parks do not provide social activities. If you want such activities, then you should ask the park BEFORE you move in if they offer such things.

Fifth, how the owners choose to utilize their office space is up to them. Being upset because they don't install a change machine, etc., is being upset over things that don't concern you.

As others have indicated, if the park is not to your liking, then move. It does not appear that the park has misrepresented themselves.

Thanks for fixing that. Made it a lot easier to read.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you did not join this forum just in order to make one post designed to get negative information out there on the Internet about an RV park that has not worked out to your liking.

Unfortunately, that happens here and on other forums now and then, the person never returns to share information on other topics, and people tend to ignore those types of revenge posts.

If you stick around, you might do a search and find good information about other RV parks in the region you can investigate which will suit your camping needs. Then move.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a Car Hauler. Because it is what it is campgrounds discriminate against us because in a word no-windows.

I'm still stuck on why the CG allowed a camper living in a commercial car hauler trailer to even enter the CG in the first place.?

And sorry I won't even go into the so-called 'emotional' service dog issues. Way too many people using fake certificates and causing a huge disservice to the owners of REAL service dogs.

...Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support (therapy dogs) do NOT qualify as service animals under the ADA. To falsify the qualifications of a service dog is a criminal offense.
www.petsadviser.com/service-animal/fake-service-dogs/

Some one needs to provide that information to ALL the CG's so they are not intimidated with a false statement of a lawsuit.

Sorry I have no positive advice for you but it is what it is. And the subject matter is certainly not about the 'worst Campgrounds in CA. but just a way to get your website published on a forum in your profile.:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rich4UandMe wrote:
Many of the campgrounds in California have small tight sites and have waiting lists. There are some campgrounds that have a poor opinion of campers, odd but true.

I am a full time RV'er due to my job leasing an apartment is almost stupid. I RV because not only do I like camping but it's a necessity. I am currently staying at the Oceanside RV Park. My neighbors are all good people. We have a service dog and We live in a Car Hauler.

Because it is what it is campgrounds discriminate against us because in a word no-windows. We that is due to the stability of the platform. This vehicle must be super strong to haul a car from place to place. The campground we live in is no different than any we have experienced in California so far.

However, in this case we have been told there is too much stuff outside of the camper in the patio area. There is stuff outside like Bass Master Pro outdoor folding chairs with outdoor cushions we purchased from Lowe's. We were told that is not outdoor furniture and why do we need that anyhow? The picnic table provided is round and difficult to find comfortable cushions for the seating that is also rounded and very large that takes up a lot of room.

The next thing is the owner seems to think parking other camper so close to the back of ours is OK and we have no need to open the back door where a lot of our stuff is kept. So when that occurred more than a few times we took things from the back and left it outside so we could get to it.

The wife makes wind chimes and Jewelry. So a lot of the inventor for that is outside. That was deemed inappropriate.

Our Service dog was said not to be a service dog and why do we need a service dog there is no reason for it. My wife is handicapped and has a severe arterial clotting issue. The dog maintains emotional rescue to her. We provided documentation to that effect and we were told that we didn't have to prove our charge of the dog. However, this owner forced the issue and we did provide it.

The sad thing is that there are so many campers there that are so much more than us and were not approached. If they were all approached the camp would be fairly empty.

The showers there are so dirty and lacking in ADA quality, with smells of the plunger in the men's room are disturbing. The dirt on the floor is just...thick I guess would be the best way to describe it.

The owners mean report was not something we expected from a business person.

There are NO events that occur like other campgrounds. The only events are brought together by the campers in the campground and young staff members. It's really a shame that expectations of the campers are so high but expectations of the staff are never seen.

The office is less to be desired. So much more could be in that huge room. There is a Laundry room but getting change to operate is up to the campers. There is no change machine nor is there change provided in the office.

My wife refers this as a parking lot with large slots. The flora is so dense in some areas and sparse in others. Much doesn't make sense how it was laid out. The grills available. I am not sure how that works. I definitely wasn't going to use any of that. Clean? Doubt it.

There is a pool and I have to say the cleanest I have ever seen in the pool. There is also a hot tub and it is definitely hot I am told. However, there is one and how many people? OK you get the point there.

There is a room for group planning, a pool table pay by use, and foose ball to. If there was a star rating though I'd give it one.

First off, even breaking your post out into paragraphs for readability, your post is very confusing and hard to understand.

Second, it is very likely that a private RV park (not a campground) is going to frown upon a car hauler being used as an RV. Folks in non-traditional, non-new, etc. setups will be biased against - fairly or unfairly.

Third, there is a difference between a Service dog and a Therapy dog and a Emotional Support dog. If you are calling an Emotional Support dog by the term "Service dog", you are misrepresenting the dog's status. Just because your wife is disabled that does not make the dog a service dog. If the only role the dog is performing is to provide emotional support to your wife, then the dog is an Emotional Support dog and not a Service dog. Here is a breakdown of the differences: http://pleasedontpetme.com/differences.php

Fourth, many RV Parks do not provide social activities. If you want such activities, then you should ask the park BEFORE you move in if they offer such things.

Fifth, how the owners choose to utilize their office space is up to them. Being upset because they don't install a change machine, etc., is being upset over things that don't concern you.

As others have indicated, if the park is not to your liking, then move. It does not appear that the park has misrepresented themselves.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
I read their rules page. OP should.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I totally don't understand. Does this car hauler have a kitchen and bathroom? Holding tanks, freshwater supply? Is it self propelled or towed. Is the dog a trained service dog? What service does it provide.

If you don't like it there why don't you leave?
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

path1
Explorer
Explorer
IMO That area in CA is the worst, you are just another nameless face. It's their park so you got to follow their rules or move. I prefer to call them RV parking lots. Differs a lot from the term "Campground". Driving hour or two east will put you back in touch with real people that appreciate your business.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is nice that you have wheels. Move to a different situation.